1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Shock Relocation Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by mmcmahan2206, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sep 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    bumps stops ?

I'm still running the original bump stops @ factory height...
    never had a problem with my upper or lower shock mounts from additional leverage issues.

in fact... I've had nothing but good results from doing this mod.

No more hits on the shocks from the leaf spring...
    in fact... no issue of anything... for over 7 years since was installed.
    And I've flexed the hell outta this rear suspension.

This might not hold true for those whom live in corrosive states
    and don't maintain their vehicles well.
    Rust and corrosion could weaken those upper mounts
    and cause premature failure. :notsure:

Not so here in the SW tho' ;)

2. Sep 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    mmcmahan2206

mmcmahan2206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    McCall, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L
    6" FabTech suspension 3" body lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG AT T/A KO tires, Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels, 4:88 front and rear gears, e-locker, "grey wire mod," Hella driving lights retroed to 55w 8000K HIDs, custom grill, Downey chrome air intake w/ AEM filter, AirAid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster exhaust, Alpine audio w/ 12" RF sub, racing bucket seats, black powdercoated toolbox, smoked out black taillights, black headlamps and corners, red LED interior lights, sway bar removed, rear shock relocation, u-bolt flip mod, 01 center console, Relentless Fab front plate bumper, LED fog lights.
    This is a great, effective, and awesome idea for moving the shocks inward and keeping the stock configuration, for sure! But since I'm wanting to relocate the shocks to avoid damage to the shocks from the leaf pack AND due to the u-bolt flip mod, it doesn't really work for me... Maybe that's what I'll do for the top mount, tho, to keep the shock like "l l" instead of getting even the slightest "\ /"!!! :D Thanks!

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    SafetyDang

SafetyDang get your facts straight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dang
    Anaheim, CA
    Vehicle:
    DC with 4x4 & MT Conversion
    Swapped to Manual Trans & 4x4
    Must be because I ran a lot of desert with this. Harder hits? IDK... All i know is my mounts broken and I did a shock relocation. :p

4. Nov 16, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    mmcmahan2206

mmcmahan2206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    McCall, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L
    6" FabTech suspension 3" body lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG AT T/A KO tires, Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels, 4:88 front and rear gears, e-locker, "grey wire mod," Hella driving lights retroed to 55w 8000K HIDs, custom grill, Downey chrome air intake w/ AEM filter, AirAid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster exhaust, Alpine audio w/ 12" RF sub, racing bucket seats, black powdercoated toolbox, smoked out black taillights, black headlamps and corners, red LED interior lights, sway bar removed, rear shock relocation, u-bolt flip mod, 01 center console, Relentless Fab front plate bumper, LED fog lights.
    FINALLY did it! I used 1" spacers on the top the way TacoDell did, and welded the bottoms to the axle allong with u-bolt flip mod. Feels and drives great so far... but haven't been off-road yet.
    [​IMG]
    I'm so glad that I finally did this since all the parts I used are out of their boxes that took up my whole back seat! ha ha

Thanks for everyones help! :)

5. Nov 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Littlebro 5

Littlebro 5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Wilsonville or
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 3.4L sr5 manual all-pro lift
    6" deck plate mod, sweet bed bar.
    I did the | | mounting of the shocks and it works out great the shocks don't max out so I get full flex. And it's better on road.

6. Dec 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    Just saw the same thing happened to me...my right shock seems fucked now and doesnt damped like it should... i flipped them so maybe the body will be out of the way at full flex. I still wanna relocate though.

To Top