1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Spring TSB Problems?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bishtacova, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Jul 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova [OP] Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    Dudes,

I got my rear spring TSB and rides great. However, I had to bring it back for an alignment, again, as it was drifting. Alignment went well for a few weeks and now it seems to drift again. Any ideas? Also, I've always had a rumble when driving 25mph, could these two be related?

Other threads have mentioned road force balance, how is that different than balancing?

2. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The TSB includes an allignment.

When you took the truck back for another allignment.... What did they say?
    Did they give you the allignment specs? Did they mention that anything was out of allignment?

Are you still under warrantee? Keep taking it back and complain. It's not necessarily anything to do with the allignment, but could be something else going wrong and why it's not staying IN allignment OR 'feels floaty'.

3. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    bishtacova

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    The only thing on my receipt was that an alignment was performed, no specs. I mentioned the truck has a tough time keeping straight.

4. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    I needed to bring mine back for a better alignment after my TSB. The warranty guys should regard this as a simple deal.

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Ask for a printout of specs before and after! Maybe you have a tremendously slow leak in a tire and as it looses air the truck begins to drift. :confused:

6. Jul 31, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    bishtacova

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    I think you nailed it. I lost 2psi in the last 1200 miles/month. 30psi seemed to do the trick. And I hate these dunlops!

7. Jul 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    ASE_MasterTech

ASE_MasterTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL\Cab
    Wet Okole seat covers, Westin Platinum Oval tube steps, Rear spring TSB plus Super Springs, D-Rings in all bed bolts, Tailgate reinforcement mod (for loading Harley)
    30psi sounds a little light..
    You can see videos on you-tube of thermal imaging of an under inflated tire vs. a properly inflated tire, it's amazing the amount a tire "overheats" without the proper pressure. Overheated tires not only reduce tire life, but also effect handling immensely (ask a NASCAR driver).
    The vehicle manufacturers want the vehicle to ride comfortably, the tire manufacturers want performance & longevity & need to stand behind their warranty (notice how Vehicle Manufacturers warranty everything BUT tires!). I go with what the tire maker recommends.
    I use the 10%-20% rule.. If the max tire pressure (via tire maker) is 44psi (most 'P' type tires) I use 36-40psi, If it's 80psi (most 'LT' type tires), I use 60-70psi (you can maybe lighten do 55psi for a very light vehicle, but no less imo)

Hope this advise helps you out..

8. Jul 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    WOW- Bad advice coming from an ASE master tech.

You NEVER go by what the tire manufacture recommends. The tires have been tested on that particular vehicle by the manufacture to determin the proper inflation. You learn this is basic automotive 101.

9. Jul 31, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    bishtacova

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    I just looked at the PSI on the sticker on the drivers well. I will look tomorrow to see what the tire wall says.

10. Jul 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Use the door sticker...or chalk test them. The tire specs are only to keep you from blowing them up.;)

11. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Sounds great. I had max 65 psi tires on my 07 Taco and ran them at 50. Anything less and I got horrible fuel mileage, anything more and I felt like Barney Rubble.

12. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    So, you would recommend underinflation if the automotive manufacturer recommended it? That's ludicrous. I understand what you're saying I am just explaining why "NEVER" is not the correct term to be using.

13. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    ASE_MasterTech

Member:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL\Cab
    Wet Okole seat covers, Westin Platinum Oval tube steps, Rear spring TSB plus Super Springs, D-Rings in all bed bolts, Tailgate reinforcement mod (for loading Harley)
    Where do they do this 'tire testing'? I can tell you that they do none. They rely on the tire manufacturer to provide tires based on a bid spec, which includes little more then size & expected load range, & then they go with the lowest bid. There is no test & exclusion process on any vehicle but the most high-end..

So folks should follow the Manufacturers advise blindly, as you state, disregarding terrain conditions, tire compound, tread design, etc-etc-etc? All of these things contribute to the thermal conditions of a tire, which is the only aspect of things that you can control.

If you are a "mechanic" then you should have an infra-red thermometer at your disposal. Drive your vehicle on a hot blacktop highway for 10min at 60mph with the manufacturers recommended pressure & check your tire temp, then do the same thing at the '10-20% under tire makers pressures' I recommend, i think you'll be surprised.

14. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Haha! Me likey!^

15. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    Once again, you NEVER go by what the tire manufature recommends, I don't mind using the word when the statement is CORRECT.

While working for GM as a regional instructor, I went to Detroit several times and have seen with my own eyes testing of tires at different pressures, and have discussed the nature of doing so with an engineer, so to presume they do not is ridiculous.

Yes, many different technicians (NOT MECHANIC) opinions will differ, but the bottom line is if Toyota felt like the PSI should be 42, they would recommend it. After all, fuel mileage would increase and they could advertise better specs. It's a compromise. Fuel mileage / ride quality.

I don't really care if you take my advice or not. Bottom line, any GOOD technician will tell you to use the vehicles recommendations over the manufacture. That being said, if you replace the tires with a different size, then everything obviously changes.

16. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    So if Toyota told you to run the tires at 12 psi and the tire manufacturer recommended 40 psi you would run them at 12psi? I think you need to rethink your logic. Yes, an auto manufacturer would not set themselves up for a lawsuit but that is exactly what you are saying.

17. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    12psi to 40psi is quite the variation! I agree, I a tire should be set at specs that work well with the vehicle, not the showroom floor!

18. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Okay, back on topic. OP, does one wheel stick out farther than the other in the rear?

19. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    ASE_MasterTech

Member:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL\Cab
    Not trying to be controversial, but I thought we were on topic.
    Wasn't it the OP who posted the statement that a change in tire pressure seemed to remedy his drifting issue?
    Please advise, does clarifying the OP's solution (& any others contributing to a thread) constitute as moving 'off topic'? as it certainly was not my intention to 'hi-jack' this thread

Products Discussed in

To Top