1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Suspension Sag

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by kbp68, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    kbp68

kbp68 [OP] hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    My 06 DC/OR has Procomp 3" level kit and AAL's with OEM shocks (Bilsteins) and leaf springs. I got a good deal on four "next to new" Bilsteins to replace my worn out ones, but can't decide what to do about my worn out rear springs. 80% of the time I commute about 60miles/day to and from work (empty), but I do haul a 20' camper trailer and a 12' stock trailer about a dozen times a year. Without the equilizer hitch the truck would be on the bumpstops constantly and I have already replaced a broken leaf so I'm pretty sure the spring packs are shot also. Is my money better spent on OEM springs(next to new take offs) and air bags or an aftermarket spring pack (Deavers?Alcan?Dakars?)

2. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    grab a new leaf pack IMO, since youre already lifted

3. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
    OME = Old Man Emu Suspension

I agree with getting a new leaf pack.

4. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I'd look into something like an Old Man Emu leaf pack (Dakars) and All Pro's Expedition packs seem have a good reputation also. Alcan can make you a set of leaf springs to whatever specification you wish.

A slightly used OEM leaf pack and air bags would do the trick also but you'd have to adjust the pressure for towing vs. daily driving where as the leaf packs would be install and forget and still handle a loaded trailer.

5. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    My bad

6. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    No worries. Just trying to make it for others to help.

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    The ride quality would be the same? My assumption was that aftermarket springs would be a harsher ride and that air bags would give you the best of both worlds - No?

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    People with Dakars seem to really like the ride both loaded and unloaded. I can't say personally, I'm running a TSB leaf pack with an Icon AAL and it's perfect for me! I'm sure OZ or PSUTaco will chime in with their thoughts.

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Valley Viking

Valley Viking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB SR5
    OME 885 Coils, OME Dakar Rear Leafs, OME NitroCharger Shocks, LR UCA's, AFE ProDry Air Filter, Scanguage, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    Putting Dakar's on my truck improved the ride and load hauling capacity. I don't think you can go wrong with the OME setup.

10. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Daks do ride stiffer than the Toyota 4 leaf pack but they aren't a buckboard wagon by any means .

My Leer cap seemed to be just enough weight to " engage " them and the ride is less rigid .

For me the increased load ability made them a no-brainer , I can't comment on air bags as I have had no experience with them .

11. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I just remembered TW member Cogge89 had airbags and replaced them with Dakars , a pm to him might help you out .

12. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    I have the ride rites, but the catch is that the bottom bracket for the bags is designed for the non-tsb leaf pack. As soon as you go with an aal and/or 3* shim, the bottom bracket does not touch the axle housing and you have to fabricate an extension. I still like them...allows easy customization to however much weight I am carrying.

To Top