1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Suspension TSB Tomorrow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thestrangebrew, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew [OP] AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    Ok guys,

So I called my dealer to set up an appt for tomorrow for my Rear Suspension TSB. I know I've read on a few posts around here how some dealerships are giving people grief over what can and can't be done etc. As I'm a newb I probably should've asked how these TSBs work to begin with, but what I've gathered so far is that you just take the rig to the dealer have them look at it and then have them go to town and fix it. What should I expect or be prepared for when I take my truck in? I've got the TSB printed and ready to show them if needed...

2. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    thats it just say that you got a kinda ruff ride when your truck has a couple hundred in the bed thats all i had to say for mine

3. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Do not mention the TSB. Just mention that you have a harsh ride.

If they give you shit then get back to us so we can help you chew them out. :)

4. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    when you say you set a appt for rear suspension tsb,
    do you mean they have already agreed to do the tsb? or your taking it in to see if they will do the tsb?

the tsb basically puts new 4-pack springs ( instead of 3- pack ) and upgraded shocks if not already on truck. it will make the truck ride firmer, but not that much firmer.

if your trying to convince them you need this tsb - most people state they have a HARSH ride when you have weight in back of truck. usually 500-700 lbs seems to be the general number. the word HARSH is the key factor, because that is what the tsb calls it. say harsh, then add your own version. I stated it felt like i had no suspension with weight in back.

depending on the dealer, they will say no problem and set it up to be done.
    Or they will say the truck is fine, and then you will have to go through a major headache of contacting managers, toyota corp for a case#, and anyone else you can think of to try and get this done. good luck

5. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    thestrangebrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    I'm taking it in tomorrow to see if they will do the TSB. I think I might have messed up already by telling the guy on the phone about the TSB but we'll see I guess.

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    It does not matter they Have to do it, are you under the mileage noted on the tsb?? year range o.k?? If yes then you should have no problem!!!

7. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    thestrangebrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    Yea my mileage is around 22k and it's an '08 double cab rugged trail so I don't see anything else I would need. I printed out the T-SB-0305-08 which says it supersedes TSB SU006-07 to include 2008s so I'm assuming it's all I need.

8. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I agree. Oh and your back end will get about a 3/4" of lift as well.;) So a little bit higher.

9. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    EricS76

EricS76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 Prerunner Black,08 AC 4x4 SR5 White
    I told the service guy I first talked to on the phone that I had a printed TSB in my hand as I was calling him. He said he hadn't heard that the 08's were included yet, and I told him the TSB I had has 08's in it. Had I not had the TSB and mentioned it, the service guy might have just told me the 08's aren't included yet and the conversation might have ended there. Since I told him about it, he looked it up, called me back, and made an appointment to do the work.

Tell them you have the TSB. Tell them you have everything the TSB talks about. Tell them you were researching the harsh ride of your Tacoma and came across the TSB on the net. It seems to be easier to get it done lately. I tried in January and they wanted me to bring my truck in with 500 pounds in it so they could drive it around and see if it had any problems. I tried again in early August and they just looked at the vin and the springs and told me it qualified for the TSB.

10. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    i got 1.5 inches of lift after my tsb, waiting to see if it settles

11. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    true, my dealer wanted me to come in with 600lbs in the bed so they could inspect it.
    i told them i am not wasting my time or money to put 600lbs in the bed for a known problem that they have known about for the last four years and already have a tsb for.

12. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    thestrangebrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    All the dealer said was to bring it in so they can take a look and I mentioned the TSB to him and he said ok. Hopefully these guys will be cool They're not the same dealer I went to to get my truck but I've been taking it to them to get oil changes etc so hopefully they'll work with me and not give me a hassle.

13. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    good luck, state HARSH ride, stay firm on getting this done.
    when they want to look at it means they are not planning on doing it, yet
    basic rule of free service is to talk the customer out of it.
    remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. but start out nice

OK-dont start on how they still get paid, blah,blah....

14. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    Stick to your guns man....:infantry::laser::quickdraw:
    just dont take any real ones.... if you do all bets are off!!!:D

15. Sep 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah that's some good info right there. Well what chaps my ass is you spend $30,000 on the truck and give Toyota your buisness, and they still give you crap on a TSB they already know about!!:eek: When I bought my truck the sales lady was as nice as could be!! Then my truck had to go in a couple weeks later because the TPMS sensor was messed up and she acted like she didnt even know me!! Friggin 2-faced salespeople!!!

16. Sep 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I got about one inch and it never settled. I love it. :laugh:

As said, insist on the harsh ride and try not to bring up the TSB again. ;)

Before you go to the dealer, print out a copy of the TSB. That way if they say no or give you any shit, pull it out of your pocket and shove it in their face. :)

17. Sep 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    EricS76

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    Not true. I talked on the phone with my service tech 3 times and he told be every time that they would have to look at it before doing the work. He said it was Toyota's policy that they had to inspect the vehicle before signing off on doing the work. I'm 70 miles away from the dealership, and after talking with him about that, he said he would schedule the appointment to examine it and and schedule the service at the same time. Basically he said the TSB was a sure thing, but to follow Toyota's policy, he had to examine the truck before doing the work. What has changed now is that the "examination" seems to be running the vin and checking the spring #'s instead of jumping through a bunch of hoops like loading the truck up like they required earlier.

18. Sep 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Thats what my dealer wants me to do. Should I call him back and say thats BS or just try the 1800#.

19. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    EricS76

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    I would try a different dealer. The dealer I bought my truck from wanted me to do that in January and I just quit talking to them. I asked around on this site and found a dealership that didn't require the truck to be loaded. It seems like there are quite a few. Do a search for something like "dealerships that did TSB" Needless to say the dealership that I bought my truck from lost my business.

20. Sep 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    everyone needs to understand, every person , every place you talk to will give you a different outcome. some service reps know what your talking about, some dont have a clue. if they're backed up with paying customers, your not a priority. most of them probably dont even have the springs in stock, so even if they say yes after looking at it, and verifiying part numbers, you'll end up having to go back.
    Research for the worst outcome, Hope for the best!

Products Discussed in

To Top