1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Suspension TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 09TacomaPA, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    09TacomaPA

09TacomaPA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenixville, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4
    I got denied by my local dealership to have the rear TSB done on my 09 AC 4x4. I was told "There is nothing wrong with you suspension and that they can't just do a TSB because I found it on the internet". I was wondering if I go to another dealership will they be able to tell that the other dealership denied me?
    The dealership that denied me was Sloane Toyota in Devon, PA.
    Thanks!

2. Sep 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Has your truck bottomed ouy before. If it has show them the marks and tell them that it is very unsafe to drive like that.

3. Sep 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    call toyota corporate and complain

4. Sep 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    ubugarrity

ubugarrity Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Me and a friend both brought our Tacomas (08 and 09) to Newton Toyota (NJ) this morning. They had both done in 2 hours and even drove us to the diner while we waited.

I noticed when I had an atv or snowmobile in back, I couldn't put my finger between the springs and frame. Truck bottomed up when these were in the truck. I just mentioned it to them and they ordered the parts that day.

Maybe you can borrow an ATV to show it bottoms out before capacity? Or try another dealer. If your close to northern NJ try my dealer.

Good Luck

5. Sep 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    I had mine done last week at Champion Toyota off of Cottman ave. The wanted me to bring it in with weight. So I took it in with a 55 gallon drum filled with water, two old wheels and tires and two bags of mulch, about 600 lbs and it bottomed out. The checked it out and did my TSB a week later. At first they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about until I offered to show them the TSB. Sloane and Champion are owned by the same people. I would load it up and take it back with TSB in hand, if you still get denied, call the toyota number. Remember to use keywords like bottoming out and rides rough.

6. Sep 23, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR DC Silver
    Old 2010: Redline QL Plus hood struts, rcbs204 illuminated 4x4 switch, seatbelt chime off, cupholder mod, LED interior and license plate lights, trimmed front mudflaps, Fumoto oil drain valve, K&N Air Filter, Leer 100XR Mile High Edition, OME All Four Corners, Duratrac 265/75/16 Load E
    Don't mean to thread jack, but I've been wondering...how much does the TSB fix stiffen the ride? I mostly use my truck for daily driving and don't want the ride to be too rough.

7. Sep 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    "Don't mean to thread jack, but I've been wondering...how much does the TSB fix stiffen the ride? I mostly use my truck for daily driving and don't want the ride to be too rough."

I went in with 10-40lbs bags of topsoil in the back and when they took a look underneath, they agreed that it needed to be done. As for the ride stiffening up....only a slight increase in the stiffness in the rear without a load, but a lot more stable with a load. For me, it was well worth the fight to get it done. Obviously a personal choice.

8. Sep 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    TacoBaja

TacoBaja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I reported on another thread but will brief it down here - my harsh ride & bottoming out was dismissed by the dealer primarily because of mileage - 82,000 - on a 2006 TRD 4x4.

Called Toyota at 800-331-4331 and they co-ordinated with the extended warranty people and agreed to pay for the fix. The dealer still wanted to split the cost with me. So I called the Toyota number a couple of more times and somehow Toyota & the dealer finally agreed.

Persistence on my part, and also I tried to be as patient as possible, not getting pissy with anyone. Took about two weeks worth of phone calls.

It's done, with no charge to me, and bottoming out is far better and the ride isn't substantially different.

9. Sep 24, 2010 at 3:07 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Huckyourmeat- The ride doesn't suffer with the extra leaf, even with an empty bed. It has a more solid, quality feel too it. Definitely how the truck should come stock.

10. Sep 24, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    09TacomaPA

09TacomaPA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenixville, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4
    Thanks for the help, I am going to try another dealership and let you know how it turns out.

11. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    If you feel like taking a ride to the AC area Shore Toyota did mine. My service adviser Matt used to own a taco so he knows our trucks. :thumbsup:

12. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    this seems likes a real jackass thing to do but it really works, try to have your conversation in front of a lot of other customers and if things go bad start yelling. If this doesn't work tell him that you want to speak to his supervisor. Dont mention the internet tell him that you had a friend that got this done, and that you got online and found the paperwork for it (the TSB).

13. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Toyota still does not have a TSB for the 5 luggers. If I had the option I would do it in a heart beat. I am tired of having to load it to half capacity.

14. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I had to argue a little to get mine done. Just load it up and go over a few speed bumps. It will hit the bump stops. I used firewood, loaded the truck, headed to my mother in laws house to drop it off and drove down the street with the most speed bumps. Took the truck in on Monday and argued a little and after a few phone calls they agreed to do it. It does stiffen the ride a little but it feels much better to drive and you won't even notice it after about 2 weeks.

15. Mar 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    JBRICENO

JBRICENO Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TACOMA TRD SPORT SHORT BED DOUBLE CAB

You need to call your closest Toyota Corporate office and file a complaint. Also, if you do take it back to the same dealer or different, tell them that you tow or have carried at least a 500 lbs load that caused your truck to sag in the back considerably. Advise them that this is a safety concern of yours specifically since this causes the front end to lift and have less weight distributed, which yields a looser steering control causing the truck to drift more than normal. Again, stress the importance of safety here. They should not be denying customers who come in with legitimate complaints. Even if you haven't yet hauled or towed, there will be a time when you do - hence why you have a truck -right?

16. Mar 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Magic words are - HARSH RIDE !

17. Mar 6, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    I tried using harsh ride, unsafe handling when loaded, bottoms out, etc with my dealer & had 360 lb load of bagged concrete in the bed. Service manager says there is evidence of bump stops being hit, but that was because I overloaded the bed so he is denying the TSB for my truck. I got pissed & told him 360 lbs is not overloaded! I called Toyota customer service & haven't heard back from them. I am going to another dealer this week.

Products Discussed in

To Top