1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear thunk. Slip yoke or axle wrap?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by USNavyTaco, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4

Nighthawk: did you get a 1-piece shaft? with no slip yoke? That would definitely fix the thunk if it's slip-yoke. A TW one-piece goes about $500, if I remember right from what someone else said.

An AAL can be had for under $100 DIY. Getting only a drive shaft does nothing for load carrying, if that's also a concern for OP.

If they agree to replace the shaft, it should be covered under the 60K warranty. Rebuilding the slip is just disassemble, grease and put a new band on the boot. By most accounts it comes back... if they drilled and added a zerk he could keep it greased.

Not hearing/feeling the thunk myself I would hesitate to be so positive about it NOT being the brakes... but because it's so common I' tend to agree it's the yoke, induced by axle wrap.

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    UPDATE:

Dealer agreed to do TSB leaf springs, but won't cover the cost of the Bilstein TSB shocks. Is this a big deal? Or should I just take my win with the TSB leaf packs and call it a day?

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So theryre giving you half a tsb and you want to know if that is ok. Lol. Wtf?

4. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    They said it is again because they are wear and tear parts. I don't get it either. But considering I'm well past the 36 thousand mike warranty. I guess new leafs is better than nothing. I was gonna do an aal if they didn't anyway.

Also, I'm putting new shocks on in the fall anyway. Among other things such as:

More skid plates
    Winch
    Better tow package
    Brush guard

All considerations :)

5. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    nighthawk87

Member:
    Good point. I see how it doesn't matter to you, but I don't see how the dealer can only put on half the parts.

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    That doesn't make sense to me either. Will these leaf springs in anyway damage the stock shocks on there now? Considering that an aal wouldn't. I don't see how they could

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    nighthawk87

Member:
    No. Your fine. Get some bilstien

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    Well. Theres another plus. Ive always hated the color of the bilstein 5100s. That baby blue color always has annoyed me intensly. Im going to either get red or black shocks in the spring. I know they can be painted, but, would I ever get around to it? Not likely

9. Apr 6, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    They get mudded up pretty quick anyway...

It sounds like you're putting some heavy iron on with the skids, bull bar, winch. Assuming it's not looks only, stock suspension may not do the trick after it's all on. I know some people have found that to be true once they were done.

10. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    memphis guy

memphis guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Michelin LTX M/S II 265/75-16 Tires (+1 sidewall height)
    Did you ever get the slip yoke thunk alleviated? I have been having this problem for the last few months.

So, how involved a process is it to lube the slip yoke, since it doesn't have a zerk fitting from the factory?

11. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Your still under warrenty?:confused:

12. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    memphis guy

memphis guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Michelin LTX M/S II 265/75-16 Tires (+1 sidewall height)
    No - he has >40K on the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top