1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear TSB not right!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bryan07sport, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Oct 17, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Sorry I didn't take a before picture. The one in my avatar with my motorcycle is before the TSB but obviously thats a bad way to judge it...

... I'm thinking its about time for front levelling, i guess the adjustable bilsteins are a no brainer... and a/t's. 265/70(75?)/17???

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
  3. Oct 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would like to just make one comment about the TSB. I have an '09 DC LB 4x4. I did not have the issues that others have complained about when hauling a yard of bark on two different occasions. I have the three leaf pack and I believe it is revised. In fact it was quite smooth. If you are truly having an issue with the capabilities of your suspension by all means contact Toyota or your dealer and see what can be done.

It seems to me though that there are a few members on here that believe they have some sort of entitlement to a new rear leaf spring pack and most probably don't intend to or have hauled anything of substantial weight. There are many others as well that have had issues but have '09s and still can't get their problems resolved due to the model year of their trucks.

In summation, if you have an issue by all means address it but if you think you should be entitled to more than what is required then you're doing it for the wrong reasons in the first place.

4. Oct 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    09Tacomania

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
  5. Oct 18, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You totally missed the point of my post.

6. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Dexter, I agree with you wholeheartedly. People hear about a free upgrade and feel as though they need to get it done. People also for some reason like to bash anything that is OEM; Tires, suspension, exhaust, headlights, whatever, to justify "upgrades", which arent even upgrades most of the time. Truth of the matter is we are driving one of the best equipped trucks out of the factory on the market, and it really doens't need anything. However I am being the devil's advocate here, because I had the TSB done, but I haul my motorcycle in the back at least once a week and do contracting work which has me hauling 1000lbs on a regular basis, and the stiffer rear really helps me!

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You OPINION bolded for emphasis. Lots of folks drive these trucks and are completely happy with them OEM. And there are more of them than people who complain....SO...The TSB is out there for folks who have a problem...Which is why the work is triggered by specific complaint.

I've done this math before...but in 05-06 Toyota sold nearly 180,000 Tacomas. If they kept on pace for that they have sold nearly 900,000 trucks. There are 24,000 members of this site....and if everyone owned a 2nd Gen- We would represent just under 3% of the Tacoma owners everywhere. We spend TONS of time talking about this TSB here...so it seems like a huge deal- but it is NOT for a lot of people (The other 97% that is...).

And why it's really easy to see folks who are just digging for free stuff- Cause they post up threads asking "What should I tell the dealership so I get the TSB springs?"

8. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Don't get me wrong. If I have the opportunity to get the four leaf pack I will jump on it and I think for the most part most that have had the TSB done are satisfied with the results and truly had issues to begin with.

I mostly was referring to some earlier posts in this thread and in other threads where members had made comments that they should be given without cause a free handout.

9. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi,

I'm a long-time member but have not been active for a few years. I have been following a few threads in multiple sites that are related to the Tacoma suspension 'harsh ride' tsb.

My wife and I hauled a lot of things during our 2-year, 1400 sq/ft basement project. I also helped a friend haul 1200 pounds of bricks where I measured the gap between the fender flare and the tire to be close to fist-size. Never did I feel the suspension bottom out.

But closing in on 3 years, I called my dealership last week to schedule my 30K maintenance work, and also told them about the tsb. The only thing the service guy said was that its going to be a stiffer ride if I get the 4-leaf spring assembly. That was it! He wrote up my appointment anyway after I said I wanted it done. This was over the phone!

Since I scheduled my appointment last week I've been researching on how others dealt with the rear being raised 1.75" post tsb. Some used spacers, some used advance coil-over systems, but the setup that caught my eye was the bilstein 5100 solution that lifts the front end to .85" or 1.75". I decided the latter is the best and cheapest solution for me.

I decided too that I had to get the tires I want for this winter to save myself the alignment fee since its part of the tsb work. So I did. I bought Firestone Destination A/Ts (265/70/17). I must say they look awesome with stock suspension. Very aggressive-looking but quiet tires, and I got 1 for free. But I digress.

Last night was the worst night of all. I was still researching until 3am 'cause today at 7am was my appointment to drop off the truck. I was still 50/50 on getting the tsb done. The reason this is such a difficult decision for me is because I've lowered a car not so long ago. What I found out in that project is that once you mess with suspension, the work is never going to end.

I ended up bringing the truck in this morning. But I decided against having the tsb done today. I postponed it for the end of November. The 30k maint work was done and I also paid for a $99- alignment work. Driving home I felt really good about my decision. My truck looks awesome and drives perfectly.

I'm going to try really hard to convince myself NOT to have the tsb done. That if later on I see sagging, I'll just pay for springs then. Or in case I need to carry heavier stuff, I'll invest in airbags.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for a great site guys.

10. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Well I didn't and I don't agree with you. The fact is, the OEM springs simply cannot handle the stated cargo weight capacity so, regardless of whether you actually need it or not, you aren't getting the truck that you paid for. With the TSB springs, you are. If you buy a gallon of milk are you going to be happy if it turns out to be only half? I think not, but that's just my opinion.

11. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You missed it as well. Read my post above.

12. Oct 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road
    jsut got mine back, done right

its awesome, and the ride is so much better

i dont see how people can say its firm? are you used to driving cars or something?

it feels like a truck is supposed to now

then again, im used to SFA (btw where are all the SFA swaps???)

as far as deciding to get it done if someone didnt really need it?

if you paid somewhere around 30k for this truck, which laughably came with 2 leaves and an overload...whether you need it or not, if you are aware you have a defective product on your truck, why on earth would you not get it while you can for free under warranty....cause you dont haul stuff?

thats gonna suck at 37k miles when you change your mine and need to haul something. that and the fact the springs wont even hold up to what they are supposed to (check your yellow sticker). if you bought something rated for XXXX lbs, i think the factory is obligated to provide that.

entintled to it? well i dont know about you but as much as im paying for it i certainly think its fair.

if your on the fence, do it!

and btw, if you didnt know any better you would never notice. you dont by any means need to lift the front. they will settle down some in the back too.

13. Oct 20, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    09Tacomania

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    If you dont want it, thats great. You have that option. Nobody here is forcing anyone to do something that is'nt for them. My opinion is my opinion. In my case, a dbl cab v6 base, $1700 of mildly upgraded suspension from the stealer sounded good with future plans of a 3" lift. Mines a trd + extra rear leaf now without paying the $ and it rides the way I think it should. You can keep the trd decals ( its a sleeper ) LOL. I never once stated one should get this because they could. I find it irritating when people dont research ( probably like alot of people around here ) before they start a thread. I said it before.I had it done and I like the results.:deadhorse: Hey Dex, chill man. We're cool. I'm all done lookin at tsb threads.
    Still wonder why Canada has the 4 leaf pk LOL?

Products Discussed in

To Top