1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear vibration when taking off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011tacotrd, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    2011tacotrd

2011tacotrd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad double cab
    Pioneer indash navigation unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch, HID heads and fogs. Black leatherette GT seat covers. toytec Ultimate lift. Now its time to mod exterior.
    Just put on the ultimate lift by toytec. The whole project took me and my buddy 5 hrs. Not as easy as some say but never the less it went pretty well for my first time. The coilovers are huge compared to stock in width and weight. Everything seems to be riding nice except when i take off from a dead stop i get a vibration in the rear. I installed the shims and now wonder if they aren't the problem anyone have any clues?

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    That is a very common problem both on lifted and stock height tacomas if you search for it there are lots of usefull threads people have come up with a few different tricks to help but have it always had luck.

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    How much did you lift? I did a 1.5 inch AAl and 5100's set at 1.75 with the shims and wound up taking them off. I would try removing the shims first and seeing if it is better or worse. Did you install a diff drop? That might be the next place to look. How do your drive line angles look? There are a bunch of links about vibration.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/153050-just-fixed-driveline-vibration-free.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

Do a search under drive line vibration or just vibration and you will find some more.

4. Nov 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    take out the shims, and see if it gets better.... if its still there then try a carrier bearing drop...

5. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    2011tacotrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer indash navigation unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch, HID heads and fogs. Black leatherette GT seat covers. toytec Ultimate lift. Now its time to mod exterior.
    Thanks Doc appreicate your links I think i will try to remove the shims. I have a 2.5 inch lift I think it came preadjusted and they said its either a 2.5 or 3. Come to think of it, she might be a 3 because from ground to fender Im at 38 ".

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    2011tacotrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Etaco I was thinking along the same lines but it does help having someone second the thought. Thanks for taking the time to give your input.

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    No prob.! :)

If that doesnt work, try both and see if having both helps.... I have just have a Carrier Bearing drop, and still a slight take off shudder.. and have try everything else. so not sure what else I can try....

Just saying, sometimes people just learn to live with it.....

8. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    2011tacotrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    You think it will cause any problems down the road? I probably could learn to live with it after all after the muds were put on I have to say goodbye to a smooth ride this baby is growling.

9. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    haha.. I would try to fix it first... try to atleast make it better. But I really dont think it will cause any damage. the vibe has to be pretty bad to cause damage.. alot of guys have had a take off shudder for 20-30+ thousand miles without any issues....

this thread makes me want to try to fix mine now! :(

10. Nov 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    2011tacotrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I can second that. Just wished there was one fixall for this problem instead of how every truck has different results and solutions.

11. Nov 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    well there is a perminant fix. but it can be spendy.... If you have a short bed, you can do a one piece drive shaft. But that could run some where in the $2-300 range...

12. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    One piece drive shaft is not a good solution. If aluminum it will not wheel good. The first time you hit a rock it will turn into a pretzel. If steel it will be too heavy.

13. Feb 29, 2016 at 4:46 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thread reserect.. lol
    Sorry Sandjukie but I got a 1 piece shaft made for my 12, it was stronger and lighter then the stock shaft. With heavy duty life time u-joints. Thing was awsome.
    Now im needing one made for my 13'.. got take off shudder that i cant get rid of. Got all my angles good and have tryed everything. This is the only thing i hate about these trucks. So frustrating

Products Discussed in

To Top