1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear wheels lock up when i make sharp turns in H4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A51TACO, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker me gusta pechos firmes

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS
    I think you might be feeling the TRAC working the brakes. Read this thread, it will confuse you even more :p, but if you can wrap your head around it, might just be that what you are feeling is normal traction control, etc.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...uto-lsd-explained-easy-understand-i-hope.html

2. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    You all have mighty low confidence in Toyota if you think driving in bad weather in 4WD is going to trash your drive line. If I even think there might be black ice it's in 4WD my 97 only lasted 285K miles before I sold it. But I did have to replace the rear ujoint at 206K. Climbing over uneven rocks losing and gaining traction is far harder on the drive line then driving in 4WD on the pavement. If you don't use it, it won't work when you need it why do you think Toyota says to drive it in 4WD at least 10 miles a month and before you jump on that there is nothing any where in the manual that says not on dry pavement it just says 10 miles or more a month. Yes it will bind on a tight turn but what you feel are the tires slipping take it out of 4WD and park it.

3. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd off-road 6sp mt
    I've attempted this thread a few times before and the manual as well. Honestly, if i can understand all of this well, I think I deserve a PhD. But i'll keep trying.

4. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Could be trac... but i think that happens more from loss of traction. The op mentioned it's happening in tight turns in 4WD on non-slip surfaces... sounds more like a binding issue.
    OP... I've even experienced binding on dry snow while attempting to park in tight spots. Sometimes it's best to just get back in 2WD if tight turns are required. Even while offroading on loose dirt/gravel i never make real tight turns with 4WD engaged.

5. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Honolulu HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 IFP extended travel coilovers, Fox 2.0 extended travel FJC rear piggyback shock, Icon 3 leaf progressive mini AAL pack, Total Chaos UCAs, konig countersteer wheels and 265/75/16 duratrac tires.
    Right. People keep saying "locking up" but it think its just binding and then the wheel slips when the stress in the driveline overcomes the wheels traction. Doesn't the TRAC light blink when it activates?

6. Nov 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    :popcorn:

...interesting.

7. Nov 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Good question. The light didn't come on. When I didn't know what was going on, i just stepped on the gas more to force the vehicle to move. I did not see any lights come on as the vehicle started to move.

8. Nov 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Yep, that's the conclusion I am at right now.

9. Feb 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Wow, the latest Nor'easter has opened up my eyes! This thing is a beast! I got 20+ inches of snow. it is day 2 and the plow has yet to come to my block (i live in the 'burbs so this is unheard of). But we just had a baby right before the storm kicked in so i had to make it back to the hospital to see my wife and baby. I basically drove my way (going fwd/reverse hundreds of times) thru that snow until I got on to a plowed road. I beat the bejeesus out of my truck but I had to go see my wife and baby. My neighbor's truck got stuck 3 times while i got stuck just once (and just literally inches from the plowed road too:mad:) and he was trying far less than I was. and i noticed that even without the 4H, this thing has great traction on snow. Of course i am not that idiot that drives like i am on dry pavement just because I've got a truck. I still stayed in 2nd and less than 20mph most of the time but man, this truck IS AMAZING! maybe i'll move up to Alaska or something...

10. Feb 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    rokedawg

rokedawg Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    and BTW, my truck is bone-stock too. The only aftermarket is the Mobil 1 engine oil and diff fluids. even the oil filter, air filter, all the accessories I bought from Toyota. I can't imagine what this thing can do once i start putting on mods...

11. Feb 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Honolulu HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 IFP extended travel coilovers, Fox 2.0 extended travel FJC rear piggyback shock, Icon 3 leaf progressive mini AAL pack, Total Chaos UCAs, konig countersteer wheels and 265/75/16 duratrac tires.
    Cool. The stock 4x4 tacoma is a very capable truck. Modded is even better.
    I wish I lived someplace where I could actually put my 4x4 to good use.

12. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    sierra015

sierra015 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Filip
    Toronto
    TRD SPORT
    i thought h4 was like AWD but its not that explains the shaking from the front wheel when i turn
    thnx

13. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    sde780

sde780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If the roads are covered you can just leave it in 4wd...congrats on your second child!

To Top