1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rebuild, Replace, or Sell??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 12guns, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jan 2, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    12guns

12guns [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Rville, AR
    Vehicle:
    96' Tacoma 4x4
    I have a 96' Tacoma LX 4x4 V6 w/ 282k miles. It's been an awesome truck and I've put 240 miles on it myself. I have a valve "ticking" and after 5 years of "ticking" I took it to the shop for some work. Shop pulled the valve covers and found that the cam shaft was worn out of spec and the thickest shim won't be enough. I paid $400 for his labor and he shimmed it as much as allowed by toyota. It still ticks, but runs great as always. I'm concerned about the engine and transmission. Just can't decide if I'm better off getting a newer truck, or continueing to sink money into mine keeping it running. I've done everything imagineable over the years and it truley is a solid truck. Trans never has slipped, but has overheated years ago. I've flushed in the past several times and recently drained and filled along w/ dropping the pan. From time to time has a "hard" shift, but still pulls strong. I also added a cooler this past year.
    Retail is 7400, I figure I'll get 5k max for mine.
    Is it better to replace an engine/trans or rebuild? I know the labor makes either rebuild costly, sometimes you can swap a reman eng/trans for the same cost. Any suggestions?

2. Jan 2, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's a hard question to answer for ya.....

You've gotta consider - what's your financial status? Can you afford car payments & or the cost of buying a new/used truck?

If the truck ever left you sit somewhere - how drastic would that be for you? Do you feel as though the truck could leave you sit?

I would say....start looking around. Do some research and make some decisions of what you'd like to buy in a new/used truck. Afterall, your current truck will not last forever and you will need to get a more reliable set of wheels sooner or later. You can decide whether you can afford to buy now or buy later.

If you did the work yourself, it'd be a different story and a lot cheaper to keep the truck longer. But, when you're talking about more major repairs and labor costs...it makes it harder to keep as a daily driver. Hell....you could buy another truck and keep the old girl for a hobby. Restore it....and keep it forever if you wanted to.

3. Jan 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    12guns

12guns [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Rville, AR
    Vehicle:
    96' Tacoma 4x4
    I guess you're right. I've been looking at used Tundras, 4runners, and Landcruisers. Not sure what I want, but the 05'-10' Tacoma's hold their value so well I can get a used Tundra for the same price. I also have a lab and would like the room and enclosure of a SUV. My fourwheeler will be paid for in a couple weeks. I'll have 250-350 I can put towards a used truck. Guess that's what will be best.

To Top