1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommend me some tools!

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Chris(NJ), Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jan 12, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I have a couple things I want to accomplish this spring. On the Tacoma, I want to get the CMC done. I'll figure out welding on the plate afterwards, but I'd like to at least cut the cab mount myself. So I want the right tool(s) for that job. And ideally, I can use the same tool for installing a new door latches on my '49 Chevy. It involves cutting open a portion of the door.
    Heres a pdf on that install and a couple other relative links to installs.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...Truck_Altman_Easy_Latch_Instructions.pdf?1998
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/altman-easy-latches-for-chevy-1951-truck.518506/
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/installing-altman-easy-latch-kit-trique-manufacturing/

So my question is, what tools for these jobs would you recommend? Same for both? Or do I need something that allows for more precise cuts for the Chevy? I figure these should both be easy enough for me to accomplish and learn some stuff along the way.

2. Jan 17, 2020 at 1:00 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    The defining thing is your budget ?

Because of the tight clearance in the door latches a die grinder with carbide bits might be the best option .

4 1/2" angle grinder then I would not wish anyone using one to cut cab mounts the first time .

Are you planning on getting into lots of fabrication or is it just a few projects ??

3. Jan 19, 2020 at 5:25 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....

No, budget isn't a factor. I'd rather get quality stuff. But if I don't have to get 12 different tools for this job, than I'd obviously prefer not to. Right now I don't have space to do fab work, so it's mostly just for odd projects.

Products Discussed in

To Top