1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommendation for Home Owners Insurance?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Key-Rei, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:21 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    As the title says looking for anyone's recommendations on who to go with or how to even go about it, hopefully soon to be a home owner in the greater Central Florida area and I need to have a policy set up before I can finish closing.

Appreciate any advice even if it's just things to look for or be wary of.

2. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    We switched over to a Hantz Financial 2 years ago so we could step away from watching our finances so closely ourselves.

They go out and hunt down the best policy for your life style. They handle estate planning and tax issues as well as doing the taxes.

With remote meetings these days, it's absolutely a great way to do meetings easy.

You do have to give them access to your financial info, but it allows them to recommend what insurance route would be best for you.

We pay $100 / month for them to watch our money. I have no issues with that. I do not like paying % my money to be watched.

So far, they have been doing a great job.( We still watch our shit closely)

Key-Rei[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:37 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Is the $100/mo just for their service or does that cover your home insurance premium as well?

4. Feb 5, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    That's for their service. You still need to pay the insurance bill.

Everyone needs to be aware that a person needs to "fire" their insurance company every 6-10 years. No matter who you have, the cost will increase every year.

Hantz tracks this and makes you aware that you can save a huge amount if money by switching insurance company. We just about made up the cost of what we pay to Hantz monthly by switching.

We were overpaying $3600 for the same coverage with the new company. (Auto, house, umbrella are bundled)

Key-Rei[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 5, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    2013TacoDCLB

2013TacoDCLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013DCLB4x4
    Military hitch, CB install, cargo rail brackets
    Here is what I recommend: Make sure that your inspections are virginal, meaning no deficiencies in Roof, Electrical, HVAC, and Plumbing. Find an independent agent that has appointments with multiple carriers. I have a 2-20 All lines Insurance License, 6-20 Adjuster License, 2-15 which life and variable annuities license, plus a licensed realtor since 2009. Make sure the home has a roof less than 10 years old, no mistached shingles or patched roof. Make the seller disclose everything about the house. I have worked for several independent agencies plus State Farm, Allstate, Brightway. I work for a large insurance carrier but I’m not selling policies anymore. PM me if you want more info.

6. Feb 5, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    saltybum

saltybum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Space Coast
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Access
    F&*K State Farm your bad neighbor. When we had that bad hurricane season about 16-18 years ago they dumped all their policy holders on the barrier islands. Then raised our auto insurance. What! We were no longer multi line policy holders so the higher rates. Well we were no longer ANY policy holders as I went elsewhere. After two decades of giving them my money ( cars, trucks, boat, house and no claims ) that's how they treated us? Then guess what....a dozen or so years w/o any real hurricanes...yep "Your Good Neighbor" was back wanting to take your money again and insure your homes. Greedy Bastards Traitors of the worse kind.

koditten likes this.
  7. Feb 5, 2022 at 6:54 PM
    ljh824

ljh824 Regular Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Kabul, Afghanistan / Oviedo, Florida
    Vehicle:
    -21 AG Sport 4x4 DC
    I went with ASI/Progressive. Been great, but for some reason, my rate jumped up $1k this year. Sucks. I need something new.

rjmart34 likes this.
  8. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:02 AM
    2013TacoDCLB

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013DCLB4x4
    Hi All,

I will share something with you guys. All Florida insurance carriers must carry an insurance policy to cover losses if we get several catastrophes in any given year. When the premiums for the reinsurance goes up, everyone pays regardless of claim history. I sold homeowner’s policies, I sold just about every carrier, and including mobile home insurance. Insurance fraud in this state causes a metric ton of issues that hurts all of us.

9. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:16 AM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    Don't forget the "termite bond", especially since your in FL.

10. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I agree with an independent agent as being your best shot.

We use Pablo Beach (agency, not an underwriter) for a rental we have, and another agency that wrote ASI/Progressive for our condo.

The condo is different because it was new construction and the agency was already writing the master policy on the building. Meaning the units and high quality construction (storm wise especially) was already inspected and well known by the agency, making life simpler.

Get a quote from AAA too, especially if you are a member.

DO NOT sign up for Citizen's regardless of anything. At one point I was forced to them and could not wait to get away.

Also, the tips above regarding inspections/conditions are very important. Spend the bucks to let a pro do it. Problem is like everything else, finding the right pro who really does dive deep enough. Both a good insurance agent and a seasoned/honest realtor should be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Steves104x4 likes this.
  11. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    OLDHMECH61

OLDHMECH61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Odessa FL
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner std
    suspension exhst rims
    Don't have better advice than already given above but can pass on my experience from home ownership in the past 30yrs and 3 houses in this area. I just recently went through a rate hike of homeowners to the tune of $2000 from an insurance company that had the policy since the house was built in 2014 obviously i switched carriers. In my opinion when your carrier raises the rate that high they want you to leave, its almost like they (insurance company's) are playing the risk merry-go-around and when a storm hits hoping they aren't holding the hot potato. Yes I remember when State Farm pulled out of Florida, but they weren't the only ones, which forced our Governor and State Reps to step in and say if you insure cars in this state you will insure homes or leave the state entirely, i believe they called it cherry picking at the time. I have had USAA for over 20yrs for both my autos but would not ever insure my home because of zip code, when i checked in with them recently for home owners they said NO again and I said goodbye to them, pretty good deal huh? gave them 20yrs of premiums with no accidents or claims and all I got was a paper promise. So I did the Home and Auto bundle deal with a large carrier and it was cheaper than my previous rates, I am sure in 8 or 9 years they will do the same thing raise rates and hope you switch and leave. Can I or will I recommend insurance company's....NO they will all do the same thing, remember all those commercials on TV are not cheap and we are paying for them. Sorry about getting wordy and negative about insurance, home ownership and new purchase are suppose to be happy times and I wish You the best in Your new purchase.
    R/
    Andy

koditten likes this.
  12. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    2013TacoDCLB

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013DCLB4x4
    Always shop at renewal time.

OLDHMECH61 likes this.
  13. Feb 6, 2022 at 6:01 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Insurance broker.

Check with insurance carriers on what makes insurance premiums go higher. For my state:

-Basements. (Probably not a huge problem in FL)
    -Living quarters over the garage.
    -Wood burning fireplaces (probably not an issue in FL).
    -Tile or metal roof. (May not be the case in FL)

We have hail, second highest lightening strikes (FL being the first), powerful winds 70-130 mph.

14. Feb 6, 2022 at 6:17 AM
    SteveEldo

SteveEldo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma off-road
    Any advice for the underinsured in the recent Urban Wildfires in Superior and Louisville?
    I know a few people who lost everything. Our house is okay ….but could have gone.

15. Feb 6, 2022 at 6:53 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    I check with our insurance carrier every year. We were in the most destructive fire in Colorado history until that Superior fire. People here lost everything and it really was disheartening to see.

16. Feb 6, 2022 at 9:05 AM
    rjmart34

rjmart34 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4 Limited
    Stock
    Yep, me too. Never a claim. Always paid on time.

Looking as well.

17. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:03 PM
    ljh824

ljh824 Regular Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Kabul, Afghanistan / Oviedo, Florida
    Vehicle:
    -21 AG Sport 4x4 DC
    Did a couple online quotes today and all around the same price as ASI. What the hell.

18. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    Daria

Daria Can I pet your dog? Moderator

Member:
    Dodging tumbleweeds
    Vehicle:
    381 HP dog mover
    Born and raised in Florida, about 20 miles inland from the Atlantic. State Farm for all the things. Mom has had them since the early 80s. I’m carrying a policy from before I was born. Currently have all the vehicles, toys, trailers, house, umbrella, etc with them. The key is finding a good agent, I learned this from my start with them. I’ve been lucky to find good agents everywhere I move. They love acquiring all of my lines of business. My mom never had issues with State Farm with Hurricane damages. They are a huge company but if you deal with a local agent, they make the process easier than dealing with the corporate folks.

19. Feb 6, 2022 at 5:11 PM
    Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Well-known member, but no one cares.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    I have Amica. They are great in service and rates. I have my ‘21 Lexus and Tacoma with them, the house, and an umbrella policy. With all the discounts I save big on the homeowners and the umbrella worked out to be free. I also got a $47 dividend payment.

I though insurance in Florida was a bit different though? I lived in Ft Lauderdale up until 2007. I can’t remember and may be different in central FL, but insurance was a pain to get and choices were limited.

20. Feb 13, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    FL_TRD Sport

FL_TRD Sport Suffering from Severe Wallet Drain

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport MGM DCLB (Sold)
    KDMax Pro 10.0, Form Lighting Tail Lights, and more
    Try Kin insurance. You can get a quote on their website. They don't use agents, sell direct. I saved a good chunk of money switching to them. The other good thing about them is they also do flood insurance - not through the NFIP (FEMA program), but privately written. It's a rider on your homeowner's policy so the limits are exactly the same as your regular homeowner's limits. The customer service has been great so far.

One thing to remember....before you get quotes, make sure you have a current 4-point inspection and wind mitigation report. Anyone who quotes you will ask for them. The 4-point inspection will avoid most surprises on condition of the major systems. Also, insurance companies here are very fussy about roof condition and age. If the roof is more than 10 years old you will have a hard time finding someone to write you, and if they do it will be expensive.

Products Discussed in

To Top