1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommended points of interest

Discussion in 'North East' started by Chris311, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Sep 11, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    Chris311

Chris311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 White Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD OR 5 speed M/T
    3" OME lift, SPC UCAs, URD Crankshaft pulley (the red gives more HP)
    Hello everyone,

I live in San Antonio, but at some point in the new few months I will be in the NE area of the country. I am helping a family member move to Virginia near Langley, and on my drive back to Texas I plan on spending 3-4 weeks to take a very scenic loop drive back.

Right now I am currently in the planning stages, trying to figure out the places I want to stop at. When I leave from Virginia, I want to head up to Maine, and then turn around and start making my way back to Texas, passing through Kentucky to visit family. This means that I will be passing through most of the original 13 colonies. This gives me a rough outline of the route I want to take, but I need help with identifying places of interest to check out.

The only places I know I will definitely be stopping at is as many national parks as I can, and possibly doing some of the easier off-road trails (I don't want to risk damaging my truck and not being able to drive home). However, I am also interested in any cool or unique places or restaurants I should stop at along the way. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

Thank you,
    Chris

P.S.

I am also still trying to figure out a camping situation. I currently have zero camping gear, but don't have money right now to buy a nice RTT, so I was looking at getting a truck bed tent as they are relatively cheap. Since I will most likely have this trip during the winter, I need a 4 season tent, but all of the 4 season truck bed tents I can find are out of stock or are not for sale yet. I also need a way of keeping a laptop, cell phone, and tablet charged while off the grid. Either a small gas generator or one of those fancy knew solar powered battery banks. This trip is a vacation for me, but I will still be logging into work remotely at certain points so need to keep the devices charged.

SilverBulletII likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2020 at 3:10 PM
    ABNFDC

ABNFDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granite State
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD Access Cab TRD OR "Rugged Trail"
    265/75/16 Wildpeaks, Dakar rear, HS 2.5" front coils
    Despite how anti American the state has become, there are some decent attractions in Mass.
    It has been over 30 years since I last visited these places, but the Whaling Museum in New Bedford is good, Battleship Cove in Fall River is decent, Plimouth Plantation & the Mayflower II in Plymouth is decent, the P Town monument is decent if you want to go an hour or so out of your way, Faneuil Hall, Bunker Hill Monument, etc, etc. Tons of history down there. Lots of side trips too-Marconi Wireless station, White Cedar Swamp, the whole Cape Cod National Seashore, see if whale watch boats are still running, etc.

SilverBulletII and Chris311[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 13, 2020 at 5:11 AM
    thepinktaco

thepinktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Orange, MA
    Vehicle:
    95 SAS Tacoma, 99 4runner, 16 Tacoma.
    Crawford notch, Franconia notch, and Kancamagus highway area in NH.
    Dorset caves/freedlyville quarry in Southern Vermont.

SilverBulletII and Chris311[OP] like this.
  4. Sep 13, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Chris311

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you both for the recommendations. Been busy this weekend so havnt had time to take a look at everything and map them out to see where they are, but I like how I've got recommendations for 3 states so far. My plan is to visit all of the NE states if possible, even if for just a few minutes as I drive through (Rhode Island, lol )

I'm really looking forward to all the great seafood.

5. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    Taco? Who knows

Taco? Who knows Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB Off Road
    Chris,

When exactly are you helping with the move? The reason I ask is the seasons here in the NE are changing during your date range. The leaf peeping season is over and now we are in the cold gray season. You say you will get/have a 4 season tent, you will need it. As a traveler from a red Covid state (don't agree with this but) you will be discriminated aginst as if you were a leper. So be aware while you are in the land of 1984.

6. Oct 26, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    Chris311

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The move has actually been put on hold, we are now planning on doing the move in the Spring. I had already planned on staying away from people anyways. The Spring will have much better weather. While I do like the cold and snow, the thought of being buried in it is not fun.

I'm now thinking of taking a trip to Moab this winter. Still need to get my truck ready (just got my new skid plates delivered today), but was thinking about taking 2 weeks off to drive to Utah and back.

7. Oct 27, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    Taco? Who knows

Taco? Who knows Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB Off Road
    Sounds like a much better plan for now. Moab woulde be a much better place right now.

8. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    Scott17818

Scott17818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Midcoast Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR
    methodMR305NV, 265/70/17duratracs, ARB RTT, DITCH Lights
    *SIMPLE GROUND TENT (COLEMAN ) $30-45 will do the job, and keep you out of the elements
    *good sleeping bag (depending on season... a 30degree bag will cover summer, and spring, fall/winter you may want a 0-20 degree bag, or tons of heavy wool blankets)
    *air mattress the thinner 1-3" (they cost a bit, but oh so worth it, and act as an insulator against cold ground the larger ones are bulky, take time to inflate, and pack away.).
    *propane coleman stove can be had for $30-50,
    *a good flashlight, and headlamp are good to keep in your truck anyways.
    *pots and pans: you can bring stuff from home that you and or your wife dont care about to save money, or buy a decent cast iron pan, or stanley cook set at walmart works ok for 1 or 2 people
    *tote to throw it all in, not required, but nice to have everything somewhat organized.
    *decent cooler
    *water jug (walmart sells the aquatainers that work decent)

tips:
    no heater? "hot hands hand warmers" in your sleeping bag, and in your pants pockets will help at night. wear warm clothing (layers)
    bring extra: I carry emergency rations, extra food, extra clothing, spare batteries for my lights, jumper pack for the truck, jack, spare lug nuts, most tools I would need for most any job on my truck, and work gloves, as well as a small folding saw, and a hatchet.

you dont have to go this extreme. I go out into the willy whacks, and carry a garmin inreach mini, just in case I wind up in the middle of nowhere and need a rescue..

Chris311[OP] and SilverBulletII like this.
  9. Oct 30, 2020 at 6:07 PM
    Chris311

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Awesome list Scott. I've added a few extra things to my list that you had that I did not think about.

Products Discussed in

To Top