1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recovery Gear Help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ipunchwalls, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    Ipunchwalls

Ipunchwalls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    I'm finally getting around to getting buying my own recovery gear and want to know if I should try and piece one together myself or look for a kit that is already out there (at least for straps, chains, blocks, and shackles). I have been using my coworker's and friend's gear since I've had the truck (which hasn't been very long). I've read the Off-Roading sticky on what gear I should be looking for, and also found a few kits online. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks

-Brian

2. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Just depends on what you want to spend. First things first, never skimp on quality when trying to recover your 30k dollar truck that weighs in at 4.5k LBS. That being said, wheelers offroad makes some great straps for a good price. You can pick up some d ring shackles online, just make sure they are the correct WLL (working load limit).

3. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Also, dont just grab ropes to pull you out, vehicle reovery may require much more. A HI-Lift ( appropriate accesories), Carpet Strips, gloves, basic tool box, first aid kit, gas cans, etc are all great pieces to carry with you

4. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    Ipunchwalls

Ipunchwalls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    I do want a Hi-Lift, I think I read that the 48" will work fine, though I am lifted 6" on 33's, and I need to put together a set of tools to keep in the car (but I have plenty of those around the garage). Mainly I want to know if there are any specific straps, tree savers, etc. I should be looking for (brand; specific vendor). I have a first aid kit and gloves for when I have to use my winch, but not having the other necessities makes me nervous, and limits with whom and when I can go wheeling.

Oh and about what I'm willing to spend, I'm not super concerned about that, I just want to have a competent recovery kit. I almost pulled the trigger on the "Ultimate Recovery Kit" found here: http://www.4by4connection.com/regeki.html but figured I should ask you guys first....

5. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    I have a High lift extreme and a buncha Erickson straps. Remember to buy big (weight) straps as tuggin adds a huge load to the strap. Some place on here I think there is a recovery guide with a guide line of stuck to rim add 25% stuck to axle add 50% etc I don't remember the exact numbers.
    I have a big strap rated for 40k lbs just because broken straps suck. Keep them out of the dirt if you can, don't let them chafe on anything when pulling (no sharp edges) and dry them out if wet for a few days before storage.
    -Also snatch straps are for pulling people out with a tugging motion so they stretch and use kinetic energy to help out, this is also makes them bad to pull with (IE. with the winch) because they stretch so much.

Products Discussed in

To Top