1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recovery/Vehicle Towing: basic kit?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by JKD, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine needed me to pull his classic car home when the transmission malfunctioned. He had a tow rope, and I used my receiver hitch (Valley) and a hitch pin to pull him home.

It was very makeshift, and I'd rather have something better to work with. It would be nice if I could buy a reasonable amount of hardware and be prepared to pull people out of snow banks and ditches, or be pulled out of a snow bank or ditch.

I see there is a type of receiver insert that is made for attaching a D-ring, and that D-rings are preferred (when available) for recovery and towing. However, I have also seen tow/recovery hook receiver inserts...?

I know that recovery and towing are different operations, and that for recovery the preference is for stretchable web recovery straps with sewn loop ends. For towing, people seem to prefer low-stretch rope, typically with hooks.

So, what is the basic list of gear that I need for light duty recovery?

1. Recovery receiver hitch
    2. D-shackles (one for recovery receiver hitch, one for use on another vehicle?)
    3. Recovery strap, rated to at least 2x vehicle weight. I think I saw two inch strap rated at 18,000 pounds?
    4. Tow rope, rated to at least vehicle weight.

Also, the front of my truck has a hook on one side and a loop on the other. I have been told that the loop is just for shipping tie down, and that the hook is for recovery...true?

2. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
  3. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Magnolia, TX
    i bought another kit at four wheel parts for 79 bucks. it was from smittybilt and is awesome for the money. it comes with:

snatch block
    2"x4"x20' tow strap (tree saver)
    5' chain
    gloves
    bag
    shackle

its a steal of a deal. dont know how long the sale will last

brett

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    I got a d ring block that inserts into my hitch. I've used it to pull my buddy's bmw 10 miles before.
    http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/towstrap.htm look at the warn hitch shackle

Strap wise I got 2. a tow strap, and a recovery strap.

They look the same but different uses.
    One has a hook at both ends. This is the tow strap. It doesn't stretch or anything I used it to tow the bmw. The other strap is a recovery strap It has loops on both ends. It's design to stretch and use kinetic energy to pull someone out.

Don't use any strap with a metal hook to pull anyone out, That can cause a fatal injury, I've been in a close call with one. The hook barely missed my head by a few inches and put a CLEAN hole through a bed side.

A good start would be
    -recovery strap. 20 ft by 2 inches.
    -tow strap 20 ft by 3 inches.
    -hitch shackle block
    -shovel
    -jack. floor jack would be good or hi lift with the tire lift mate accessories.
    -Road flares.

I've used both hook and loop before. Both are solid but I would truck the Hook more.

I was told never to pull anyone out in reverse, its bad for your transmission.

5. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    saltbranch

saltbranch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4,2wd,5spd, stock, 250k
    I'd go with atleast a 2 ply 2" nylon strap myself,thats what I use. Definetly no hooks, use screw pin anchor shackles like in the Wheelers link. That brand (crosby) is about the best on the market. We manufacture the nylon slings up 12" wide, so i get to play with what I want on tow straps pretty cheap. For light towing/ jerking out light trucks, a 2" 2ply does great and stores in a small amount of space. Back when I was into bigger trucks I used a 4" 4 ply. Whatever you do, do not use chain or wire rope(cable) for jerking out a stuck truck
    While the revery hitch looks good and all, a standard 2" receiver for ball mount will work just fine. No reason to blow 50$ on that.

6. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
  7. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    saltbranch

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    here is the Crosby link
    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/

here is a link to check out, twe sell these all the time just for use with nylon slings. The shackles in Wheelers link will work just fine dont get me wrong. These are design just for nylon slings, not multi use like the other.
    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/html/default.htm

Appearantly the 2nd link does not take you to the catalog page. Go to page 79 of the catalog. Its the "Sling Saver" line of shackles design for use with nylon slings only.

8. Dec 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    best i have ever seen are what the contractors use for rigging. i think they call them round slings. they come in various strengths. you can do some creative looping, and use only one shackle to tie it all together.

my last contractor gave me two of them. i tossed one to my bro, and kept the weaker one. he has a big diesel rig.

9. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    saltbranch

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    Only bad thing about the round poly slings is there is no stretch, like with the nylon slings. the round poly slings are about like using chain. Granted better/safer than chain. Just no give.

10. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    saltbranch

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    Here is what you need to be looking for in tow straps. A 2" single ply upto 4 ply with twist or flat eye will fit inside of a 2" reciever, so you only need the hitch pin to secure it. Once you go over 2" then you will need a shackle or hook for both trucks. I am not a hook fan unless it has a latch, I would stay with a shackle for safety.
    If you plan on some hard jerks I would go with a 2ply 2" over the 3" single ply, stronger, stores in the same area.
    Combine the recovery strap and tow strap into 1, why do you need both? The main thing to watchout for on nylon or polyester straps are sharp edges, by that I mean for example wrapping it around an angle iron bumper...it will get cut. Nothing against Wheelers 3" tow strap, but if you wrap it around an angle iron edge or equivalent and jerk it hard, it will become 2 short straps. You can help to make your tow strap more abrassion resistant by having it wrapped (just the eyes or complete sling body) in cordura. I'm rambling on now.
    I'd carry a couple 1/2", 5/8",3/4" shackles of each size onboard just to have all the bases covered. Scratch the recovery hitch and go with a solid stock hitch like you use for 2-5/16" ball for 1 ton trucks.

To Top