1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Red light camera license plate blocker

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by ruler, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

I had a buddy (more of an acquaintance) who would take his plates off and wait for the light to turn red, then drive through while the passenger was mooning it

2. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    TacoSter

TacoSter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    I can only speak for Chicago city limits.
    I have recieved (2) $100 fines in the past 6 months and I DO agree they should enforce this... My problem and the reason I got 2... the damn timing, they go from yellow to red before you can blink! Jerks, I'm going to need new brakes way before there time as now I have to lock em up at about every light
    my next fear... might get wanna those damn hitch bumper protectors, I know they look gay, but i'm gonna get slammed one day due to these &(^%(^)^)^^&*%^$^ red light photos:annoyed:

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    kroggy

kroggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 3.4 4x4
    Grill Guard. PIAA 520's. And ...
    So happy!

Red light cameras are illegal in Montana.

4. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I read an article some time ago that rear end collisions skyrocketed once the cameras were in place. People are breaking harder and stopping for lights they would have normal took their chances on. It might have been a local thing, since in NOVA if at least 3 cars don't make it through once it turns red, fights ensue

5. Jun 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    :rofl: nvm, rep'd!

6. Jun 5, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    If they were really concerned with safety they would increase the yellow light time to give people time. Doing that greatly decreases the amount of people that run red lights. But, they are more interested in money.

7. Jun 5, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can't say that one thing unilaterally will fix the roads safer. Drivers making better decisions will make safer roads too.

Most yellow lights are set for 3-4 seconds. At 80MPH you travel about 118 feet per second and would need about 400 feet to stop but you would travel about 472 feet in that time if you stay on the gas. I don't know many place that have stop lights on an 80mph zone...so this is a ridiculous example. Average stopping distances-60MPH requires ~240feet, 40MPH ~120feet, and 20MPH ~40feet.

So instead of trying to make it thru the yellow light...Slow down and it'll work out fine. (This argument doesn't apply to lights that have been changed to very short yellow intervals...Which is most likely illegal)

8. Jun 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I drove around dressed as a ninja one time. Good times.

9. Jun 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I drove around with a 12 pack Bud light box on my head.....I was stopped twice. Cop asked if I drank them all before putting the box on my head.....I told him, "Of course!, Im not gonna dump them out, and waste them!?"....He let me go.

10. Jun 6, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I never said this one thing would make it safer, but it sure would help.

I was more talking about the extremely short yellow lights. And 3-4 seconds is ridiculously short.

http://www.motorists.org/blog/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/

11. Jun 6, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I did the math above and the recommended/bare minimum times agree with what I said- 4 seconds is more than enuf time in most situations....if drivers chose to come to a stop @ yellow lights instead of trying to squeak thru it.

12. Jun 6, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    plate blockers do not work.. Saw a tv report on them. Or might have been myth busters.
    as for laws. they are there to provide income for cities who can't balance budgets, or think about future needs of said cities and locals.. Police have gone from to serve and protect, to revenue collectors. not bashing police, Actually know a few who believe this as well. at least here in NY. the least free state in the union.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/03/episode_73_beating_the_speed_camera_exploding_patches.html

13. Jun 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    which is what youre supposed to do anyways

a yellow light is a warning that the red is coming...it is inteded for those already IN the intersection to clear said intersection and those coming towards the intersection to prepare to stop.

The police's job is NOT to serve and protect...as Brunes has mentioned in multiple previous posts...law enforcement are armed historians...

the police do not assign fine amounts to the violations...the judicial system does that...or possibly your state legislators...but not a police department

14. Jun 6, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    I have read some semi-hostile comments on here. I dont think the initial poster wants the plate blocker so he can cruise town running redlights. (at least thats my take on what I read) I personally do not speed but I have a radar detector, they (cops) have an edge so I have an edge.

In TN they do not have to show you or prove to you that you were speeding. Some states allow you to look at the dash radar gun for reference when you get your ticket here if they say your speeding your speeding, you will not beat a ticket in my city. We have had redlight cams now for about 2 years, they claim they have grossed over 600,000 dollars in 1st six months. Our local news did a report on how long the yellow light is and traffic accidents at redlights, (2sec yellow)rear end collisions accounted for 82% of all accidents county wide for the same six months compared to .5% of accidents before the cams. Not good!

The most assinine thing that has happend is when we had a power outage and the power came on, the redlights were blinking and a Officer was directing traffic, so that after noon 217 people were sited for running redlights. This particular case is in court still after 9 months because the city refused to drop the tickets. Imo, redlight cams suck, radar sucks, Police officers should be free to fight crime, not be quota forced to write tickets for revenue. There are more effective ways to curtail speeders than tickets.

Oh yeah, does anyone on here honestly think if the blocker plates worked that mythbusters would tell anyone? I wonder what kind of fee they got payed to "Nationally debunk those plates" just curious.

15. Jun 6, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    I cant find the video but there was a guy doing wheelies in a intersection with photo enforced cameras on his street bike.

16. Jun 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

i agree...not a single one of those people should have to pay that ticket if an officer was directing traffic and the power was out...

now then...out of pure curiosity...

what makes you think that law enforcement officers have a quota on tickets?
    what would be another, more effective method to curtail speeding other than heavy enforcement/ticket writing?

17. Jun 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    There is NO NEED to have an edge if you obey the law. WHY ELSE besides a propensity to be too close/over the stop line or roll thru stops would you need a plate blocker?? A radar detector is just another thing to block your view/distract you if you are going the speed limit or close to it. If you go 80 in a 55 it MIGHT help you aviod a ticket...but it might not. I've siad this before-I go no more than 5 over (in FL you only get a warning up to 5 over the limit...then the fines and points start) and have NEVER been pulled over for it.

Proof on the side of the road or not- I don't know many cops that have enough free time on their hands to MAKE UP speeds for tickets. They write enuf tickets for folks who ACTUALLY speed or drive recklessly.

The folks ticketed while being directed thru traffic should have them thrown out...and the programming of the lights should be fixed.

And Tiger said it already- How do you propose to curtail speeding besides heavy enforcement and fines?? Maybe we'll just speed govern every car and make it a felony to remove it?? Or we can just drive like the Autobahn everywhere and let the morons kill themselves??

The wheelie comment is irrelevant. The cameras are not the be all-end all of law enforcement and they are not manned by a person. They do what they are designed to do (albeit with some debate) which is punish folks who think red lights and speed limits are suggestions.

18. Jun 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    I have been told by several of my officers friends that they have an unwritten quota, the kind that if you not performing you will be dealt with in various manners.

Empty patrol cars slow down speeders
    STRANGE "FAKE" POTHOLES SLOW DOWN SPEEDERS ON HIGHWAY
    rumble strips
    speed humps
    raised crosswalk strips
    these are a few I pulled off google that has great success, get creative throw some Manikins in the road. Im not solving the worlds speeding problems, the city goverment is not looking too hard on how to stop them with all the revenue coming in.

19. Jun 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

an unwritten quota is not a quota...just called the higher ups making sure their employees are working and doing their job

empty patrol cars do NOT work
    fake potholes on a highway would cause MAJOR problems IE people slamming on brakes/swerving...therefore causing unnecessary and avoidable collisions
    rumble strips dont work
    raised crosswalks arent a possibility on many roads

20. Jun 6, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Man....He acts like he's a cop or sumthin..^^^^^^^^^^

:)

Products Discussed in

To Top