1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Red Rocket an expedition build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by 06redtacoma, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    Got a good bit done today in about 2 hours of work or atleast i took a lot of pictures... here they are

started by bending up the little flaps on the winch mount plate so that it will match the top
    [​IMG]

next i decided that some braces were in order before any more fab could be done, these will help support the winch and also act as a mounting surface for the skid plate which will be one of the last things to get mounted due to making the bumper more difficult to remove.
    [​IMG]

welded in
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    keeping things square is one of the top priorities
    [​IMG]

Next i ran out of cut off wheels, the harbor freight ones really really suck, the one that you buy at lowes are about twice as expensive but last like 5 times as long...btw just because concrete cutting disks look the same doesn't mean that they are. and i know you are loving those fab shoes.

[​IMG]

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    with the insertion of the next part its really starting to look like a bumper
    [​IMG]

a farther back shot
    [​IMG]

4. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    only got about 45 min of work done today, i had to get it road ready which means a lot more spot welds, driving to Tuscaloosa tomorrow for the game.

anyways here is the only plate i made and got tacked on today,
    [​IMG]

5. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    anyway here is a pic of the winch that im going to try to make fit, will it won't it? only time will tell.
    [​IMG]

what about cutting out that little seems to be support bar for the grill?
    im really glad i didn't go full recessed grill i know for sure it wouldn't fit then.

6. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    and here is a shot of the front of the truck i think its really coming together, a few more parts and it will be looking like a bumper.
    [​IMG]

7. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    ok it started up, only took 45 min to get to this page seriously. anyway here is 2 front shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    and a picture of each side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sep 14, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    TacomaMan07

TacomaMan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Black Toolbox; Bed Mat; BFG ATs 265/75/16
    Roll Tide!!!

10. Sep 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    ROLL TIDE! and thanks for the props.

11. Sep 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    first up here is a newish sheet of 1/8th plate, nice find at the scrap yard. she is heavy by yourself got me thinking wonder what the bumper is up to? im guessing 110.
    [​IMG]

little drawing and cut out for a brace that will be welded in to hold the D shackles and support the front face of the bumper.
    [​IMG]

12. Sep 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    some matching cuts in the front of the bumper.
    [​IMG]

so it wont look rediculious i welded another piece of 1/8 on each side of the brace, it took what felt like for ever, these are really really solid.
    [​IMG]

13. Sep 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    and here they are in the bumper, you cant see it but to the right they attach to the mount that is bolted to the frame. solid.
    [​IMG]

and here we go.
    [​IMG]

14. Sep 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    the other brace going in sorry i dont own a camera, these are all from my phone.
    [​IMG]

with both of the D rings installed
    [​IMG]

15. Sep 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    and now the skip plate, now that im sitting here i can clearly see that i wont be able to remove the bolts holding the bumper on [​IMG] im an idiot. Going to have to drill some big holes with that hole saw i bought today (it was expensive and i barrowed a much stronger still old looking drill)
    [​IMG]

After that skidplate, the under wings were next on the list they look bent in this its a camera thing i can assure you they are not bent.

[​IMG]

16. Sep 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    and another front shot.
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the props and im still days away from being done, im really nervous about the drilling the big holes part, i really dont see this going well esp the ones in the side for the lights. and i still have to go find some blinkers. then welding all the seams up, (ill put a few pictures of my best welds up [​IMG]. and finaly grinding before i send it off for powder coating going toyota black its like a simi gloss with a light grit in it my sliders are in this and it looks great.

17. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    got a lot of pictures, made some good progess and a got a few questions and got to make a few decisions

this is a pic of the brace about to be welded in place. this is the begining of a brace that is going to be the main hold on the bumper.
    [​IMG]

this is the brace in place
    [​IMG]

18. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    here is a picture of the bar stock that will attach from the bumer mount to two points on the frame.
    [​IMG]

19. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    up next was time to drill the hole for the winch cable to exit, i have never used the hole saw to drill through steel before i thought this would be a hidden first try, thought it turned out well and was much much faster than i thought it would be.
    [​IMG]

here it is with the hole cutout done should have made it a little wider i think may have to come back and cut more later. well see.
    [​IMG]

20. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    06redtacoma

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    next i tack welded the roller fairlead on i now have the bolts, but now cant reach the back of the bumer without removeing the grill so i just tack welded it on
    [​IMG]

and here is a side shot, i weighed the roller fairlead and its 10lbs, not ideal but for now it will have to do.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top