1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Redline Tuning Hood Struts

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 2017TACOPRO, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jan 13, 2017 at 3:00 PM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    Excellent Product. One of the Best upgrades that I've done to my truck.

RedlineTuning likes this.
  2. Jan 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    Installed mine last week. Excellent mod!!!!

RedlineTuning likes this.
  3. Jan 26, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    TacoTronics

TacoTronics War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 DCSB TRD Sport
    G4 Elite tonneau cover. Fuel Vapor 17s. Bilstein 5100s. Wheelers 1.5" Progressive AAL. AVID Sliders Line-X, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fogs, Fog Mod. Debadged, Ghost bedside decals, Line-X AVID Light Bar, ImMrYo mirror lift, Mattgecko LED bed lighting with remote, CSJumper2003's DTRL LED switchback mod, reversing, and parking. Nat's Rear Molle Panel for storage, HomerTaco grill.
    Which version of the strut did you guys use? Big price difference between models...

4. Jan 26, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    SOLD 2016 taco: premium technology and tow package. OV Tune 1.05; A.R.E. V Camper Shell; BRO grille & Tails; OEM bed mat; Xenon Depot HID headlight conversion; reflective gray tailgate letter inserts; GoPro session; Hondo radio knobs; K&N cold air intake, quicksand painted dash bezels, Subaru dash speakers, Kicker CS 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rear speakers; All LED interior lights and LED high-beam headlights. Redline elite hood shock props. prinsu cab and camper rack with rough country 30" light bar; (2) 8" rear facing “F.U.”rough country black LED lights; prinsu cargo basket kit, (2) prinsu load racks; roadshower 4; ARB 2500 awning and room kit; weather tech floor mats; carhart seat covers; ckma12 ARB air compressor under the hood; blue ridge overland gear air tools bag, tool bag, driver's seat molle. Rack mounted TRED 800 recovery treds and plano case. Rotopax water and fuelpax fuel canisters; Pelican cased first aid kit in bed. rockblokz mud flaps. ARB rear dif. breather. Stand alone fuse block. SSO bumper with 10k smittybilt synthetic line winch and factor55 ultrahook. Pro Eagle 2-Ton “The Beast” jack. OME lift kit: 90000 front shocks and 886 OME coils, Camburg 310078 UCA, 60091 rear shocks with light duty Dakar leafs. Good Year duratracs 285/75R16. Black vinyl inlays on factory OR wheels; RCI Steel Front/Trans/Trans Case/Rear Diff Skids, Alum A-Arm; Mobtown bolt-on sliders with scorpion bed coating; pelfreybilt aluminum fuel tank skid; Cali-Raised full length Molle storage LH & RH bed sides; Caliraised bedside reinforcements; HELLA sharptone horns; Optima blue-top battery with AJT machined red tiedown bracket. AJT quicksand key fob. Overland Bound member #6996
    Elite, go big or go home. I'm not putting second best on my truck. To each his own though.

TacoTronics likes this.
  5. Jan 26, 2017 at 5:21 PM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    Went with the Black Plus series. Had nothing to do with them being cheaper. The elite stainless was just to shiny for my taste. Same reason I got rid of my Shiny chrome looking plastic grill and went with the Pro black plastic.

6. Jul 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM
    Sterling_vH111

Sterling_vH111 Go do something real instead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    Secretly Long Travel & Supercharged
    Finally installed mine today, and found that they interfered with my Volant CAI ! (Or really the CAI was in the way of the struts when the good was almost closed)
    But a quick Dremel cut out of the box everything meshes well!

7. Jul 23, 2017 at 4:02 AM
    redbird48oo

redbird48oo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR Access Cab, 2.7 with auto GREAT TRUCK
    I installed these on my 2017 Tacoma and am really happy with them. Installation is not that hard, the only thing I had trouble with was the steel pop rivets. I had a nice rivet gun but only got one in, just didn't have the strength in my hands to do it I guess. I purchased a pneumatic riveter (been wanting one) and it worked great on the rest of the rivets.

8. Jul 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    i hate installing rivets. VW uses them to hold speakers in the doors and I always struggle putting them in..

9. Mar 30, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    SOLD 2016 taco: premium technology and tow package. OV Tune 1.05; A.R.E. V Camper Shell; BRO grille & Tails; OEM bed mat; Xenon Depot HID headlight conversion; reflective gray tailgate letter inserts; GoPro session; Hondo radio knobs; K&N cold air intake, quicksand painted dash bezels, Subaru dash speakers, Kicker CS 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rear speakers; All LED interior lights and LED high-beam headlights. Redline elite hood shock props. prinsu cab and camper rack with rough country 30" light bar; (2) 8" rear facing “F.U.”rough country black LED lights; prinsu cargo basket kit, (2) prinsu load racks; roadshower 4; ARB 2500 awning and room kit; weather tech floor mats; carhart seat covers; ckma12 ARB air compressor under the hood; blue ridge overland gear air tools bag, tool bag, driver's seat molle. Rack mounted TRED 800 recovery treds and plano case. Rotopax water and fuelpax fuel canisters; Pelican cased first aid kit in bed. rockblokz mud flaps. ARB rear dif. breather. Stand alone fuse block. SSO bumper with 10k smittybilt synthetic line winch and factor55 ultrahook. Pro Eagle 2-Ton “The Beast” jack. OME lift kit: 90000 front shocks and 886 OME coils, Camburg 310078 UCA, 60091 rear shocks with light duty Dakar leafs. Good Year duratracs 285/75R16. Black vinyl inlays on factory OR wheels; RCI Steel Front/Trans/Trans Case/Rear Diff Skids, Alum A-Arm; Mobtown bolt-on sliders with scorpion bed coating; pelfreybilt aluminum fuel tank skid; Cali-Raised full length Molle storage LH & RH bed sides; Caliraised bedside reinforcements; HELLA sharptone horns; Optima blue-top battery with AJT machined red tiedown bracket. AJT quicksand key fob. Overland Bound member #6996
    :stirthepot: revive this old thread instead of starting a new one. After leaving my hood up for about an hour or two yesterday, my hood now doesn't sit level. It was off just a little after the original install but now it's pretty bad. Anyone else have this issue?

10. Mar 30, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    I had these on my '12 and after a couple of years of use the bracket on the truck side started to loosen up. The sheet metal started to flex as you pulled down to close the hood. The brackets on the hood were fine because of the way they mount. The truck side mount sits sideways and uses a 90 degree bracket which puts a lot of stress on the mounting location. How and where does the brackets mount on the 3rd gen?

Marbleyard likes this.
  11. Mar 30, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    Ill try to get some pictures taken in a little while. I'll check the mounting locations too, thanks for the pointer!

Ruggybuggy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 30, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    pepto90

pepto90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 AT DCLB
    Window tint (30/5 front/rear), rear window decals, Auto Vent Shades, mud guard delete, hood lift system, and debadged.
    Have had mine for a while. Highly recommend them.

13. Mar 30, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    I'd say I've had mine on for about a year and half, as long as I can fix this issue, I am still happy with 'em

14. Mar 30, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    The only other thing I can think of is that I had my hood open was to change the front body mounts and when I jacked the body I "jacked the body"
    hood2.jpg
    hood.jpg
    hood1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  15. Mar 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX

I would appreciate that. I would buy another set for my 18 if I knew they mounted different then the 2nd gen.

16. Mar 30, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    Forced into submission! There are two nifty hood bumpers that are corkscrewed so you can adjust their height. Made the adjustment and now I'm level. *I didn't have to move it that far, pictures for referrence
    hood4.jpg
    hood3.jpg

pepto90 likes this.
  17. Mar 30, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    Barely got my issue resolved before the sky opened up. Hope to get another shot at again shortly.

Ruggybuggy[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 30, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    Nope, the same. I thought I could rough my hood up by hand and get it where I wanted before finding the bump stops and noticed the fender mounting tab moving. The tab moved enough I shoved a penny under it to see if that would help, it didn't. Totally in my own opinion, and I don't know what happened to you previously, but from working around body shops and truck assembly for many years, a good quality rivet gun can make a world of difference in setting a good rivet keeping things where they need to be for a long time.

19. Mar 30, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    TacomaBlu

TacomaBlu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    6in Procomp 35in Toyo M/T 18x9 Mamba M13
    I emailed Redline, expect another TW group buy in April... No exact date.

Waiting patiently...

Lateralus01 likes this.
  20. Mar 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    Invid

Invid Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Limited
    I've had them for almost two years and I love them. I never think about using the factory prop rod at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top