1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reduce to one propane tank

Discussion in 'Towing' started by tractng, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    tractng

tractng [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Current 22ft trailer is 3926 in dry weight (2006 Thor Summit 22RB). Tongue weight is 416lbs. I am thinking of just using one propane tank to reduce tongue weight (each tank is 52lbs).

I just need to cap the other propane line? The current setup has an arrow manual switch (left, right, both tank). I plan to center the single tank. Anybody done this just to reduce tongue weight?

2. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Why do you want to reduce tongue weight? Does the trailer push you around? Do you have equalizers?

3. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Why not just put the tanks on the back side of axle with in transit then when you get to your destination put them up front and hook them up.

4. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    tractng

Member:

Actually it is stable. But the thought of reducing the weight might be a benefit?

Warhorseforever,

Your idea is great but don't you want to at least center the tank? I guess 52lbs doesn't make a big difference if it is centered.

5. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Your average trailer tongue weight should be %10 of the dry weight. It should be right around 392lbs for your trailer and your at 416. Thats pretty much perfect and i wouldnt worry about it unless you want more space on your tongue.

6. Sep 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM
    tractng

Member:

I was thinking that is with dry weight (excluding propane tanks = 104 lbs & battery). I guess I am in range of the proportional tongue weight.

I do have WDH.

Products Discussed in

To Top