1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Refrigerator Repair

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Pugga, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga [OP] Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Thanks for the advice. I know it's possible to recharge, but it is it something a reputable tech would actually do? Anything I've been able to find seems to point to using a piecing valve and I can't see a technician doing that.

Haha, no worries!

2. Jul 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It was manufactured in 2007. They took the serial and model #s over the phone so there shouldn't be any surprises when they show up. Thanks for the heads up on the repair cost, I'll keep the warranty and see what happens! Sounds like either way, that's by best bet.

3. Jul 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough

4. Jul 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    N2DIVING

N2DIVING Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capistrano Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    OK Taco guys

I own a commercial refrigeration company

Laying a refrigerator on its side should be left upright for a min of 24 hrs prior to restarting it, to let oil migrate back into the compressor, starting early causes a dry fuck, get the details, can damage compressor.

Leaving unplugged over night to de-ice is a great deal if you do not hear the internal fan in the freezer, once plugging in if you hear nothing dis-assemble freezer back wall and inspect in door fan motor, if those are ok look under fridge to make sure condenser fan if applicable is working, if all is well to this point them assume all is ok

IMO to open a closed system up STOP

Go to Craigs list put out $700.00 max and get another refrigerator, you will be putting money into a dead horse beyond this point.

5. Aug 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Figured I'd update this with the solution. Turns out the compressor was bad and a road technician can refill a fridge with refrigerant. They have a special pump and scales to perform the task with.

I ended up calling Sears (it was a Kenmore fridge) and bought their service protection plan for $270 which covers the fridge for a year and all repairs up to $500. If it goes over $500, they total it and give you a $500 credit toward buying a new fridge. It worked out in the end, I bought the fridge on Craigslist for $125, not knowing it had issues, bought the plan for $270 so I'm into this thing for about $400 but have a nice looking fridge with a brand new compressor. The bad side, their Customer Service for this plan is TERRIBLE!!! You have to have a lot of time and patience to deal with their incompetence and rudeness. If I didn't really, really, really need them to get this fridge fixed because I had a baby coming home from the hospital, I would have told them to screw, gotten my money back for the warranty and found another fridge. They were really that bad!

6. Feb 25, 2014 at 3:16 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I have a whirlpool refrigerator gold series which sprung a leak in the water line leading to the housing that holds the filter. Does this water line just pull off or, do I have to replace the entire housing?

Products Discussed in

To Top