1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Registration Question

Discussion in 'North East' started by Jeff3004x4, May 15, 2010.

1. May 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Ok I bought a new Tacoma now the dealership has me confused about registration. I'll try and give you guys all the details, maybe someone educated on CT vs. Mass registration laws can help me. The truck will be bought this week at Harr Toyota in Mass I live in CT and want to register the truck in CT. I am not trading in my old truck, I would like to transfer my plates, and my old truck is registered in my dad’s name. The dealership is telling me they have to register my new truck for me. I am willing to get a temp plate or throw the new truck on my car trailer and bring it home if I have to. The dealership says “no no no you need us to get you new plates and register the truck”. I still have a year left on my current plates and I am willing to go stand in line at the DMV to save the money and utilize my old plates. I am paying for 70% of the truck in cash and financing the rest. What’s the deal, what if I had a farm and was only going to use this truck on my farm and never drive it on the road. Isn’t a vehicle just an asset? Why does it even have to be registered? They are basically telling me it cannot leave their lot without being registered? I’m not shady I am going to register the truck I just would like to use my current plates, I remember my current license plate number, and it would save me money. I just don’t get it, my question is, is the dealership blowing smoke or is this a law?

2. May 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    Did you tell them all of that?? Cause the last two cars I've had I transferred old plates over thru the dealer with no issues.

3. May 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Well their argument is that my current vehicle isn't registered in my name which apparently complicates the matter, also that I am out of sate. Is this entire issue a major problem, no, I'm just the type of person that constantly asks "why". I just don't understand the CT DMV web site says,
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]I am buying a car out-of-state and need to drive it home to Connecticut. What do I need?
    Requirements are the same as Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered Out of State. A temporary registration can be purchased to drive the vehicle home by bringing the properly assigned Certificate of Title, Bill of Sale, (form H-31) and Connecticut Insurance Card to your local DMV branch office. Sales tax (6 percent) will be paid when the temporary registration is issued.
    [/FONT]

4. May 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    I bought my truck in ny and live in nj and the dealer could not regerister it for i had to do it myself and i transfered my plates. The dealer just gave me a temp plate to drive it home. I would go to the DMV and ask them.

5. May 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    My old truck was in my dads name to and i had to put the new one in his name to. IDK if it is the same up their or not. I tryed to put it in my name and they said i couldnt do that without reregistering it.

6. May 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    different state...but when i bought my truck i attempted to transfer my old tags from my old car which was in my dad's name...no dice...gotta start fresh with my name

7. May 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    I asked the question, I am not going to make it into a major problem. Thanks for everyone's input.

8. May 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Tacoma DCSB
    None, yet
    they just want screw you for like $300 doc fees!

To Top