1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Regret

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snowmang, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM
    Snowmang

Snowmang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    09 grey sport
    Exhaust billy 5100's smoked headlights and taillights.
    im allowed to drive the car im covered its just the baja bug is my primary car... idk ho that stuff works alright im only 16 lol im just tellin you what my pops told me

2. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:30 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    In Southern California, I have NEVER had an incident where I would've needed 4x4. Except snow. Grrrr. BUT, that's nothing chains couldn't handle. They're just a hassle.

I got lucky and got my truck due to a car accident, my parents surprised me one day (when I was 16) and started paying for it until I was 18. Now it's in my name and I have to make my own damn payments. :p

I am EXTREMELY grateful for what my parents did for me. I will explore my 4x4 options when I have a good amount of money. I would love to have 4x4 because I love snow, but it's just not feasible at this point and time. I don't need to pay more money for gas and insurance when I'll only be using 4x4 MAYBE 4 times a year, at least not at 18.

3. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    well said... these trucks are pretty solid i know people who have 4x4 in the snow and still get stuck and slip around... i know quite a few of people who have a 4x4 but honestly never use it that often (just for the sake of having it) like i said before its all gonna depend on where u live im in So cal and we dont need it that much but for people who live in a foot of snow every year yea i would say get it... i understand that having a 4x4 helps but it aint the end of the world...

4. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Canada. Snow. Good luck without 4x4.

5. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i use 4x alot here in socal. its really nice to just crawl up a bypass. its tough to hit and obsticles slow in 2x. 4x the front wheels climb over rocks and junk

6. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    My locker is ideal for what I do with my truck...of course i'm in the desert. Gets me through the sand and up some pretty steep hills...tires play a huge roll aswell :)

7. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    yea locker on 2x will get you up the hill with momentum. 4x allows you to stop on the hill and start again.

8. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    and thats y u would be stupid not get 4x4 haha.... out were i live is a shit load of desert as well.... and i do agree about the tires as well... they do make a difference...

9. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2...sometimes I just get a good run at the steep stuff lol ;)

10. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    you're a spoiled brat

11. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:52 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    i rarely use my 4wd, only in the severe winter days and those happen on occasion now a days. i go by a saying, 'better to have and not need than to need and not have'

sorry you regret it man, you can always trade it in or sell it like others have said to do

12. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    :laugh: Its their generation man. I have a 16 year old who thinks she is entitled to nothing less than a brand new car when she turns 17. I tell her good focking luck with that.:smack: I had a 1979 Ford faimont as my first car and it didnt even run, I have to replace the cam and lifters to get it to run.

13. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Yeah, that saleman deserves some kind of an award for selling that baby up there.

I'm surprised they even offer them in Canada. Heck, i can't even remember the last time i saw a Prerunner in New York.

14. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I saw my first prerunner here in Western PA the other day. Upon further inspection, it had VA plates :rolleyes:

15. Dec 9, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    Gringo

Gringo Active Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 2wd AC SR5
    HID's, extra D-rings
    I had 2 older mostly stock 2wd Toyota trucks, drove them all over the desert, even the Sierras on closed roads in wintertime and never had traction trouble. When I got my 2000 Prerunner I was disappointed to find it wasn't nearly as good in snow as my old '83 was, but my little brother taught me a fisherman's trick for slick boat ramps - lightly dab the brakes to get some resistance on both wheels and you have a poor-man's lockup. That served me well the few times I needed it and I never wished I'd gotten a 4wd in the 5 years I owned that Prerunner.

A couple months ago Toyota decided to crush that truck so I went with a '010 2wd SR5. So far I'm loving the smoother ride and snappier cornering of the standard suspension, and the 24mpg in town it's giving me. Hoped today's storm would give me a chance to try out the electronic traction control in snow but we're in the rain belt this time...

The "better to have it and not need it" argument is certainly valid if you live in the mountains or heavy snow country, are EMT or fireman or other crucial personnel, or regularly get yourself way out there into situations where no help will be available nearby, but in the crowded world most folks drive in it's also important to remember that "they all stop the same". With all respect to Snowmang, it would be very easy for an inexperienced driver to get a false sense of security starting off with a 4wd truck that'll go in any conditions - having to think or work a bit to get moving helps calibrate your perspective of your vehicle's mass and inertia and how it will behave in the conditions you're driving on any given day, honing important driving skills. Give the 2wd a year and see how you feel about it then.

16. Dec 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    Snowmang

Snowmang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    09 grey sport
    Exhaust billy 5100's smoked headlights and taillights.
    the stealer ship wants 3400 for a trd sport 4wd 4 door short bed ughhh fuck man

17. Dec 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    I know what you mean. I wish I had a 4x4, but at the time I was worried about the price of the truck, extra maintance, lower mpg, Oh well. I am really considering tradeing it in for a newly designed tacoma. At least you got a LSD

18. Dec 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    wtf.. :confused: You need a turbo'd 305 hp performance car designed for rally to go snowboarding? Yikes... Not sure how I managed skiing for so long with just my crappy old Cavalier.

19. Dec 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    in high school i had to borrow my moms minivan. i have always wanted a tacoma. got my first used one at 24yrs old. now i drive my 3rd tacoma. i have worked my ass off to pay for it.
    anyways, must be nice to be able to not have to pay for, i mean appreciate, wait... i really mean respect what i have.

20. Dec 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    Funny...my first car was a 91 pathfinder that I bought for $1000. I kept saving and by the time I turned 20 I could afford the car I wanted, and got the same EXACT car, except a '94...Stealth R/T TT. Son of bitch I loved that car for the three months I had it. Three months and about $800 to insurance later, I sold it and bought a 95 pathfinder. Must be nice with all these KIDS getting brand new trucks for gifts. Makes me sick. You should, A. Learn to drive first.....B. start with a vehicle you won't care too much about..You will crash, you will have a bunch of people tearing up the inside of your car, etc. C. Learn to be responsible for a vehicle before having something like a new Tacoma. But...those of us that fend for ourselves are better off in the long run anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top