1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Regular cab 2WD in snow?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chadd925, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    chadd925

chadd925 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Bed Liner, Window Tint, Aftermarket Stereo
    I have an '02 regular cab tacoma 2WD that I wanna take up to the snow. obviously not a great snow truck being that it is 2WD AND it's rear wheel drive... but I guess if I bought chains/cables I would throw them on the rear, but that would give me S*&% for steering right? Do I need chains/cable on all 4 wheels? If that's the case, I will just use my girlfriend all wheel drive car. If anyone has some good input/experience it would be much appreciated... and chain/cable recommendations would be great as well. -Cheers

p.s- and yes, the thought of selling my truck and buying a 4WD has crossed my mind, thanks.

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Dedicated snows will do a lot, studded would be better if they're allowed where you live. Chains and cables are more for deeper snow, again, not sure what kind of snow you get where you live but around here I've never been to the point where I've needed chains (on a paved road, off road is a different ball game). Good tires, weight in the back and you'll do fine. Go easy on the skinny pedal, that back end will come around in a hurry if you get to froggy with the gas pedal.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    studded duratracs are the best you can get :)

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    chadd925

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Lake Tahoe, Ca. I go to the snow approx. 4 months out of the year and all the roads are paved. Where I actually live I never need snow tires/chains, but when I get to that certain elevation for Ski season, it gets nasty fast. Thanks for the quick response. Ever heard of Spider Spikes? Thoughts?

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    literally studded duratrace may be the best tires for the snow you can buy. green diamond is very nice in the snow as well i have seen some extremely good reviews on them you stud a set of good winter designed tires i would have to say thats you best bet with out resorting to annoying chains.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    All terrain tires, M+S rated, will do ok. You will be better off with 200 to 260 pounds of sand in back over the rear wheels.

Dedicated snow tires would be best but I just add weight and drive within my abilities. I do have 4x4 but it is just extra insurance.

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    chadd925

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    So... I just looked it up and by California law, "studded tires are no substitute for chains", so even if i buy studded tires for the winter, they will probably make me get out and throw chains on too. WEAK. We have chain check points here when the weather gets bad, they either let you pass, or they don't. I wish they would let me pass with M+S rated tires and some weight in the bed, but they wont. Looks like chains are my only "legal" solution.

8. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Theres another thread about this going on right now OP, I am also in the same boat as you and this is what I have done.....Dynapro AT'm tires, snow shovel, 250lbs of sandbags, got a very high quality tow strap, bought tire chains, 12v compressor in case I need to air down tires for traction, food & water stored in truck, and a leap of faith to drive to Colorado in 3 weeks. Also a bug-out bag just in case, if I don't make it at least i'll survive a couple days.

9. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    You seem to be terrified of getting stuck. I have the same supplies, but it's just funny to hear people make plans about getting stuck and having to ditch.

10. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Those who plan for survival, live to tell about it. Those who do not plan they find in the spring thaw.

11. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    OP- I have about the same truck as you. As has been said, just use a little common sense and you'll be fine. Mine has navigated 3 Kansas City winters (And is doing great in its first South Dakota winter) with no added equipment... I just have A/T tires and shovel the bed full of snow when I need to. I also air down a little when in the snow. It sounds like you might as well buy chains to be legal and for the added traction. I can't say I've ever seen anyone with chains on the front of like an 18 wheeler or anything that isn't 4 wheel drive so I think you'd only need 1 pair (Don't take this for gospel, I've never lived in a state with chain laws though). Mostly just focus. Allow extra braking room and know when you're gonna need some speed to make it up or over something. Just enjoy driving. These little 5 luggers are so light and squirrely in the snow, I can't think of any time wheeling that has been as fun as just driving on snow covered roads. They definitely keep you on your toes.

Products Discussed in

To Top