1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Regular cab regrets?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brickisred, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    MStef66

MStef66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CT
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma D-Cab 4X4
    Stock
    My first truck as a kid was a regular cab and it was fine then but I did feel the lack of space.

My next truck was a Ranger Super Cab with the jump seats and the half doors. I thought this was the best thing since sliced bread. Tons of space and the doors were added convenience. I found my self needing to haul passengers though.

I now have a Taco D-cab and I am loving it. Its like having the comfort and space of a car and the utility of a truck.

If you ever thought you were lacking space, go with the big cab. you wont regret it.

Hope this helps,

2. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    I like the look of a regular cab, but I liked the options for growth my double cab offers me. When I was looking for a truck, I was looking for something that will get me through any weather, serve as a daily driver, be affordable (price wise, and gas wise), last me possibly for the rest of my life, and have room for people to fit in it (comfortably!). I already own a Mustang, and I don't bother letting people ride in the back seat, because not only is it uncomfortable, but its a pain to have to get out, lift the lever, pull the seat forward, have someone crawl out, and then get back in.

I looked at the Access Cab (my first choice), and after having the salesman climb in the back, I knew right away it wasn't enough. The back seat was too small, and if I ever got into an accident, and the people in the front were knocked unconscious, I'd like the back passengers to be able to get out of their own door, without having to climb over me.

I like that my double cab gets about 17 MPG, gives me plenty of options for storage, and I can fit 4 adults no problem. Not any time soon, but I'd like a family one day, and with my truck I know I can have the room to put kids in the back and not have to worry about them getting too big to fit.

Just how I went about the purchase. You might have other plans, but its food for thought, if you haven't already thought of all that.

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    CtYankee

CtYankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 black 4x4 acc
    step bars, bull bar, tint, bug shield, debadged, tires and rims
    i also like the acc cab... enough room to put my 'stuff' back there, but not really enough room to fit someone comfortably... meaning i dont have to be the designated driver come the weekend :)

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Great post, X2.

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    brickisred

brickisred [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (still) Looking for Tacoma Prerunner 2wd
    Thanks for the honest assessment, those are valid reasons. For me, I simply cannot justify the cost of a double cab, though they are cool. I'm currently saving up to buy a house, etc. so my purchase has to be as economical as possible, both in initial cost and gas mileage.

But I'm not above craving a little style in my life, so that's why I'm looking at Prerunners. They just look cool to me. And a reg. cab 4 cyl. prerunner is about as cheap as it gets.

Hence my question - I want to make sure I know all the pros and cons from you guys so I'm not disappointed later on. If that's the case, I may as well keep driving my old beater Nissan (while it's still running) and keep cash in my pocket...

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    BlancoTaco08

BlancoTaco08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Before I got my DC I had a three different regular cab trucks (S-10, Ranger,taco). The only time I wish I had more storage space was when I had big stuff(suitcases, golf bag) that I didn't want to leave in the bed.

7. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I reaaaaaaaaally like that AC with short bed and v8. I'd take one in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd even bite if it had the 4.0 V6.

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    I just bought an 06 reg cab pre-runner and I love it man. This is my first truck and I dont have a problem at all with storage space. Then again I dont haul the family around either. I am 6'1 and still have to scoot the bucket seat forward. Might I add this is a very comfortable truck. I love the fact that I can still haul stuff when I need it. No more going to the hardware store and wondering if it will fit in my wifes crossover. Its Practical, reliable, has one of the largest 4 cyl engines on the market. If you have alot of stuff that needs to be in the cab and if you have passengers most of the time this wont be for you.

9. Jan 13, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    lightfire

lightfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just bought a TRD OR AC. After seeing how much the suspension needs upgrading IF I were under 6' and had it over to do I would buy a reg cab 4x4 sr5 and save 8K.

10. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    Yeah, saving for a house is a little ways off for me (waiting to finish college one of these days). As for the truck, I get that you're trying to save money for a house, but I'll say this: Don't settle for anything. If you buy the cheapest truck (not saying this like it's a bad thing, as it's still a nice truck) you may regret it somewhere down the line. Get the truck that best suits YOUR life. If it means waiting a few more months, then that's what it means, but in the end you'll be happiest. It took me a lot of saving to get the truck that I felt would work best for me, and I honestly can say, I haven't regretted signing those papers. I took out the Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger, and Tacoma, then narrowed it from there. Then I looked at 5 or 6 different Tacoma's, between two dealers, and finally went with the one I liked best. Took me about 2 months to find the one that said, "Buy me!"

11. Jan 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Reg cab - me and wife
    Acess cab - me, wife, kid
    Double cab - me, wife, kid, kid

12. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    brickisred

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, I've been looking for about a year now. Would like to have done it a long time ago, but life gets busy, etc. Had to replace another car a few months ago so that has delayed purchase as well. So far I've test driven a 1st gen double cab 4cyl, a 2nd gen double cab v6, a 2nd gen Access cab v6, a Frontier 4wd and 2wd. I also just took this particular regular cab out the other day. My initial impressions are that I like it. It is among the best condition of all of them with best price, lowest mileage. The AC and DC both were nice (especially the DC) but had more miles and were $2k to 7k more.

I initially wanted a 6cyl automatic Taco, but the more I think about it, I think I'd miss that 4cyl gas mileage too much, and it doesn't seem worth it. I don't tow or anything so I don't think I need it really. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any used 4 cyl Prerunner AC's around.

Just me and the wife so...

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    BlackRig

BlackRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5
    I've had both. My 06 was 4x4 reg and an 09 OR AC.

Sometimes I regret selling the 06. The short wheel base lets you hang with the jeeps and the cab was comfortable.

On the other hand, my V6 is FUN an the AC allows me to have a few more items secured in the cab while leaving my bedspace open.

I wish I could have both. The reg cab would be my offroader buggy and my 09 would handle the other buisness.

Also, consider how long you plan to own the truck and what you'll really use it for. To and from work? Moving or towing heavy stuff? Kids?

If I could do it all over, I would buy the reg cab, pay it off, and drive it till I absolutly had to get something else.

14. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    To me truck are always too big or too small. I like the AC with a v-6, but still opted for the reg cab, no regrets. It would be nice if they had 1"-2" more inches behind the seat, but I can still stash my hunting gear (1-3 rifles)back there in scabards.
    Test drive a reg cab, the 35' turn radius instead of 42' is insane, you can chase your tailgate and see your pop n lock mod!! (j/k)

15. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    MikeyD

MikeyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    The turning radius on our regular cabs is awesome. I make you turns in the smallest streets. The passenger usually ask how I just made such a tight turn.

16. Feb 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    litlcrickett

litlcrickett Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Reg Cab 4x4
    Just got my 2010 Reg Cab 4x4 Wednesday. Love it! Grew up having an S-10 Reg cab so room is not bothering me. I test drove the double cab and liked it except for the fact I felt cramped because of the bucket seats. Went to 5 dealers and none of them had any on the lot. Had to wait a week for one to come in.

17. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    MocoTaco

MocoTaco Active Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco reg cab 4cyl., AT, 5 lug
    In these economic times, I am considering going reg cab again. I don't want to pay interest rates up the swazzola to some fat banker boy just to be "IN" or have the biggest, best one on the block. I am considering if the minor discomforts of less room and less horse power are worth the more money of payment free truck ownership. I am off set from many of you though as I recall the days when trucks came with few options, mainly being 1/2 ton short bed or 3/4 ton long bed from a handfull of American companies, many extinct now. The Extra or King cab didn't come around until the 70's and we all did just fine before then. What's necessary and what's nice is the question. For those who can afford it, GREAT.

18. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    brickisred

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^ Congratulations!
    Yes they are hard to find. The one I posted about got gone pretty quickly. I was headed out to take the wife to look at it the other weekend and some asshole ran a red light and smashed into my new car. Needless to say that switched my priorities around for a bit, and the truck sold before I was able to focus on it again. :mad:

I'd buy a new one but I'm not gonna do a bench seat ever again, and they stopped making reg cabs with buckets, so...

I sent an e-mail to Toyota pleading with them to put buckets back in the regular cab. Wish that would actually work, ha!

19. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    We had horse and buggy till that darn iron horse and gas car came along :eek:

Thanks for the laugh

20. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    It all depends what you want. If I was going to use it explicitly off road and needed the short wheel base, then a 4x4 reg cab would be ideal with a v6 swap. However, if you're using it mostly street (as you're looking for a 4x2 I'd presume that is what you're doing), the AC is more valuable to me. I use it for storage all the time, and even carry a third person once in awhile back there. The bedmats actually work extremely well in these... in fact the only thing I"ve really had move was a 700r4 transmission, and that's because I whipped a corner way to fast and forgot it was back there lol.

The turning radius... pft with the v6 it's the same... just punch it and kick the arse out :D

Products Discussed in

To Top