1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relay case plugs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by N736RA, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    N736RA

N736RA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saco
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl.
    Quick question that I havent seemed to be able to find an easy answer to, the 3 plugs in the relay case (in the engine bay), what do they go to? I want to use one of those hot wires for my foglight install (the kit I got has a power to the battery, and then a wire to splice into a hot wire such that the lights can only be on when the ignition is). Is there any problem with using one of the hot wires on one of those plugs? (i'm looking at one of the blue/white wires on the largest of the 3 plugs)

to be specific, its one of the blue and white wires on the lowest of the 3 plugs with wires at the top there
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...-switch-requiring-more-travel-dscn6701-2-.jpg

2. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Not to get too far off topic, but do you own the 1978 C182? :) Just thought it was strange to use that as your name :p

3. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    BTW, just use a meter, power to ground, turn the key on and off. should be an easy answer, unless they're on IGN2, which is the fault of the original foglight mod. Do a search on the forum and you'll see :)

4. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    N736RA

Member:
    Saco
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl.
    Brilliant detective work on the plane, I think you're the first to ID my name (which I use on a lot of things) as a tail number. And yes, my father and some friends called that plane their own for several years!

Back on topic, those blue and white wires are hot when the key is on, so I figured I'd splice into one of those, I just wanted to make sure that in doing so my truck will blow up or void a warranty or something, any thoughts?

5. Nov 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Well, considering nothing in there is under warranty... lol

Just let me get this right, you're plugging into a open fuse plug right? There was no fuse there? Or you're just piggy backing underneath the fuse.

Also, since you're going before the relay, I'm not sure if you're going to be fused, or if the current fuse can handle the current. I'd try to figure that one out before you blow a fuse from overloading it, like your lights.

6. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    N736RA

Member:
    Saco
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl.
    No, part of this rather lame ebay kit requires splicing it into a hot wire, so I was going to put a line splice on one of those blue and white wires at the top there that are plugged in, I've tested them and they have power when the car is on but not otherwise (so ideal), that wire runs to the switch and the relay, another wire runs to the battery and is fused, then of course the applicable grounds. Basically I'm just asking if its alright to splice into that blue and white wire that's already plugged in up top there ( in the picture).

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Nov 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    N736RA

Member:
    Saco
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl.
    thanks for the reply (and sorry for the delay), the add a circuit worked perfectly, thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top