1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reliability Concerns for Potential Buyer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FightinGator, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    kulitxplod

kulitxplod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    As far as reliability goes, the truck always got me to and from where I was going until that incident. Did I trust the truck to get me from point A to point B every single time, hell yes because of my previous experiences with owning a Toyota and the fact that the truck had never reacted like that before. Is my trust now shaken, certainly, and I don't think it's an unreasonable reaction given the situation.

2. Apr 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Hearing both sides is always helpful.
    I've checked forums in the past, only to get the glowing reviews, while some shouted down the bad ones. One website even banned the guys that had bad experiences. This lead to me buying the biggest POS ever, (an snowmobile that will go unnamed, $8600 in warranty work - 16 months)
    So I'm sure the OP appreciates your reply.
    I like my rig, it's not perfect, but it is the best product in it's class.....

3. Apr 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    If you go to UF, you should have seen me at least a couple times around campus...

4. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    FightinGator

FightinGator [OP] Member

Member:
    Guys, I really appreciate all the responses. I also really do appreciate the OP of that thread I linked putting in his .02 cents as well. Last night I just went around to all of the different car rating sites like Edmunds, KBB, cars.com, Yahoo! autos, etc. and the 2010 Tacoma had the highest reliability of all of the other trucks in this category. The lowest rating I saw out of 10 was an 8.0, whereas the lowest I saw for the other trucks was much, much lower. I also agree with the post that said that every car/truck has its problems but to be in the group where this truck will leave you stranded is a very, very small percentage. I guess I just have to hope and pray that the one that I pick out is not in this bracket.

Another question... the trucks that are sitting on the lot at the Toyota dealerships, do they have all the TSB's already done? Or do I need to request to have those done before I drive the truck off the lot?

5. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    FightinGator

FightinGator [OP] Member

Member:
    Hmm, I don't think I have! I definitely would have remembered an awesome truck like yours. How often do you come around?

6. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    TSBs are done based on customer complaints, they are not a recall. My truck has had the harsh ride, o2 sensor, rear brake squeal, & air intake rattle tsbs done. Not all apply to every model year. You can look up what applies to the model year you are buying and ask about it them. They are stickied somewhere around here. :)

7. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    When I took delivery of mine in late Oct '09, it came with a list of something like 16 TSB's, theywere all done, except for a TSB on the subwoofer, for which they had to order a new sub. I'm not sure what the procedure is in the US....

****EDIT - Here's the sheet, It's actually 8 TSB's

Taco PDI.jpg

8. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    centraltaco

centraltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Dub cab 4x4

Amen brother, and I would trade mine as well. Hilux is awesome.

9. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I am up there every couple weeks to visit my GF. Shes a sophomore, part of Ink Magazine, President of the Springs Complex and in AOII. So I park either in Springs Complex or Frat Row.

10. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    CBASS

CBASS Scrub

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road Magnetic Gray
    hey man, im in a similar situation. i am going away to school next year at florida state :) and just traded in my old car for a 2010 4x2 DC TRD off road and ive never been happier. great for hauling stuff so far and extremely enjoyable to drive. ive had no problems so far.

11. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    :stayontopic:

But now I know where you park:rolleyes:

12. Apr 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I had a 79 celica that ran good, but every now and then the engine would just quit and I would have to pull over and wait 5, 10 maybe 15 minutes before it would start back up. Dealership could not replicate problem so they couldn't fix it. So is a 2010 Toyota as reliable as a 1979 toyota, for the most part probably.

13. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    FightinGator

FightinGator [OP] Member

Member:
    That's solid. I am in a fraternity as well, so I will keep an eye out for your truck!

I'm truly sorry that you are headed to FSU ;). But seriously, I'm sorry. Thanks for your input though. If you are from AZ, you have a much longer commute than me! Your truck sounds very similar to the one that I would be getting.

Thanks everyone for all of the input!

14. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Well you could go and buy a GMC Canyon or Cheby Colorado or Dodge Dakota?

I have owned Toyota trucks since 1989 and have never had a problem. Just bought a 2010 4x4/DC/LB and have no issues. I can't speak for the above trucks I mentioned. I could not even bring myself to stop in the showroom. On the other hand, vehicles are machines. Machines can break down and they do. I guess I have been pretty lucky and never had an issue with Toyota trucks or cars. I also own a Toyota Yaris.......what a great little commuter car. 40 mpg all day long. Best of luck, I would not consider anything other than a Toyota or Honda.

My wifes 2004 Honda Accord V-6 loaded runs outstanding and looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. 140k on it and we plan to run it for 300k. Anyway thats my rant. Best of luck to you!

Products Discussed in

To Top