1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reloading BS thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 95 taco, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jul 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    I've gotten good results using "Lil Gun with heavier bullets in .41 Magnum. It does not work well with the 170gr Sierra bullets, though; too fluffy. 296 & H110 are always good standbys IMO; I've never tried 4227.

2. Sep 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    [​IMG]
    Top: My load: 150 gr SP 38 gr H4895 Bottom: Winchester Factory load 150 gr Sp
    Gun: 1952 Savage Model 99

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. Sep 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    .300 Savage?

4. Sep 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Yessir. I forgot to add that in. 300 Savage.

5. Sep 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I've always wanted one of those guns.

6. Sep 29, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    I inherited it from my grandfather. But before that, it was loaned to me by him. I also killed my first deer at 14 with this gun. But memories aside, it is a great shooting gun. And the lines.....sexy for an older woman. If you decide to buy one, there is a serial # list with the year manufactured online, some were better than others. Mine is an "E"

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  7. Sep 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
  8. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:51 AM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    You don't need both tumblers.

9. Sep 30, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    You've listed two different cleaning systems, ultrasonic and dry tumbling. You really don't need to do both. The dry tumbling will do everything you need and is cheaper. I also find a lot of craigslist ads for tumblers, so look there as well.

Dry tumbling is a good place to start and will get you reloading quickly. Later on if you want to try the other methods there is ultrasonic or wet tumbling.

Good luck.

10. Sep 30, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Agreed on the one or the other. I've always dry tumbled, and to save even more I find crushed walnut shell bedding (for reptile pets and such) at Petsmart. I add a little Brasso to it for polishing- it doesn't do as good a job as task specific crushed corncob, but the brass comes out acceptably clean.

11. Sep 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I use the Lyman tumblr that walmart sells, I just add some nu-finish car polish to the walnut. Make my brass come out pretty nice.

I pick up range brass and sell it whenever I get enough, I have been considering an ultrasonic cleaner to be able to run large numbers of brass through (and the rotary tumbler is too loud for my apartment and is still being run in my parents garage when I go home)

Does anyone have any thoughts on sonic cleaners?

12. Sep 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Throw in a couple of used drier liner sheets when you do a load of brass, tumbler or rotary only of course. It collects lots of dust you would otherwise have to dust off or deal with down the road. When you do another load, change the sheets out. You won't believe how dusty they are when you pull them out. :)

13. Sep 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Sonic cleaners work, but like anything have their downsides. I have heard someone say their dog freaked out when they turned theirs on because of the high pitch sound waves. I have read they will not do as well of a job as a dry media tumbler as far as removing carbon. Especially if it is overfilled with brass or the solution is anything less than fresh/new. I have a $25 Midway tumbler bought off craigslist. I put it on the floor, on a piece of carpet and can't hear it from the basement at all. I use walnut for very dirty brass, and corncob with some nu-finish if I want a super shiney polish. Works for me and it holds alot of brass. Just remember to clean the primer holes of media before priming.

14. Sep 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    See my post above regarding tumblers vs ultrasonic cleaners. A tumbler is cheaper and you can use the media way longer than a solution will last with ultrasonic cleaners.

15. Sep 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    I'm going to give the wet tumbling a spin.

I would be a little closer to getting it setup if it weren't for my Brownell's box showing up empty today. The box should have had five pounds of stainless media and a set of 7.3 series rings in it, but all there was was an empty container for the media. I called Brownells and they're sending me a replacement order. They also asked if the box had been damaged. I told them it looked intact. They then asked what kind of tape was on the box. When I told them it was clear packing tape they told me that UPS had repackaged the shipment. Brownells uses brown tape. So it appears that someone at UPS helped themselves to the contents of the box. I say that because there weren't any pieces of media hanging around like you would expect to find if the package split open. I hope the guy enjoys the media and the scope rings that 99% of people will never use.

16. Oct 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Has anyone tried to reload brass shot shells?

I keep coming across it and every time I do I want to try. Seems like the shells would last forever

17. Oct 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Alright so im going to go with the dry tumbler

Tumbler - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/711534/hornady-m-2-case-tumbler-110-volt?cm_vc=wishList

Corn Cob Media - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...ass-cleaning-media-corn-cob?cm_vc=subv1413893

Walnut Media (for super dirty brass) - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-media-walnut-hull-5-lb?cm_vc=subv12124116413

Brass Polish - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...senal-brass-case-polish?cm_vc=sugv12124110664

Would i need anything else?? Separator to make things easier? I don't have anything yet for reloading so this will be the start of things.. Is there anything else i need to get to clean out the brass?? something to deprime it?

thanks for the help!

18. Oct 2, 2013 at 4:38 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    I deprimed my brass before I tumbled it only once. The media did a good job of packing into the primer pocket, what a pain to get out. The pockets weren't clean either. With that being said, tumble with the spent primer intact.

Since you're just getting started I wouldn't bother with any of the primer pocket reamers or cleaners. If you're dealing with once fired brass you can deprime and prime without doing anything to the primer pocket. As you go along you can experiment with the different specialty tools that are meant to deal with the primer pocket and see how it changes things.

Good luck and have fun.

19. Oct 2, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    If I was able to start from scratch again I'd get a Thumlers rotary tumbler with stainless media. It gets brass super clean and bright. About $200 for the tumbler & media but you never have to replace the media.

20. Oct 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    4508js

4508js Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB, 4.0L V-6
    3" Rancho Suspension lift, Wet Okole seat covers, FJ TRD beadlock wheels

To Top