1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reloading BS thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 95 taco, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Nov 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Hornady's LnL Classis kit is fairly inclusive. I has most everything you need, minus dies, calipers shell holders bullets powder and primers. I have HEARD the Lee Turret set-ups develope some slop/play in the turret head, which will reduce load to load consistency. Have one good detailed book on hand, and use your computer to pull up any other load data you may need. Most if not all the reloading info from manufacturers websites is free. And is safe, compared to potentially untested data from a forum page.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Nov 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Just got a second rcbs jr 3 press but I am needing the primer arm and primer tube and mount. Anyone have one laying around they would like to get rid of?

3. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    Ok, so I am getting tired of this never finding ammo so I decided to finally take the plunge into reloading and I need some opinions on what I am thinking about buying. I shoot a good amount of 5.56 and 9mm and would like to be able to reload a good amount at a time so I am looking at a progressive press. I am not trying to go super cheap but I also cant afford to buy a Dillon or anything.
    I am between the Lee Loadmaster 223 kit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618843/lee-load-master-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

and the Lee Pro 1000 223 kit
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347040/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

I know I will need a tumbler, media, scale, calipers, trimmer, case lube and other stuff but my main debate is which press to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    You are trying to go super cheap if you're buying a Lee progressive. I would sell a gun to fund a better press before I threw money away on one. Lee does are OK, and their single stage presses are OK, but their progressives are just not up to snuff. Drop the $400 on a Hornady Lock n Load AP, or spend the $150 for an RCBS Rockchucker single stage to learn on. I did my first 10,000 or so loads on a single stage and am finally getting a progressive, but I've talked to too many who have wasted money on a Lee progressive to ever consider one.

5. Dec 17, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    1. Rock chucker
    2. Wilson case trimmer with drill attachment
    3. RCBS case prep center
    4. Good powder dump
    5. Good scales to confirm powder dump
    6. Few load manuals for type of bullets you shoot.
    7. Kinetic bullet puller

For the calibers your wanting to load it will be about as cheap to buy in bulk after you factor in your time.

6. Dec 17, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    Sorry but there is absolutely nothing wrong with lee presses they make ammo more accurate than most people behind the gun. He is looking at making 223 ammo. Unless he is shooting bench rest competitions the lee kit would make him fine ammo and much better than the bulk stuff. I have made plenty of very accurate ammo with a lee single stage press. Lee has its detractors but there are lots of people making very good ammo using the press. Now I do not have much experience with the lee progressives so they may not be that good but if he is just starting I would recommend starting with a single stage press because there is a lot to keep track of at the beginning and making a mistake and not catching it can be very very dangerous. Start out with a lee single stage kit and you can upgrade to whatever progressive you want after you get a feel for what you are doing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. Dec 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Lee single stage presses aren't terrible. Lee progressive presses are terrible. If you're recommending Lee progressive presses to friends based on your single stage experiences, you're doing your friends a disservice.

8. Dec 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    I recommended starting on a single stage. He needs to learn how to reload before correctly before jumping to a progressive press.

I've never recommended a lee progressive but all of the other lee products I have used a single stage kit and dies have produced fantastic ammo and that is a great place to start especially if someone is learning and on a budget. He needs to learn to reload one round at a time before he tries a progressive.

I did read the reviews on the lee progressive and they seem to be all over the place from terrible to great. So I cannot pass judgement on something I have not used. But I personally started with a the lee challenger kit and I do not find the need to spend more of other equipment as I can produce ammo more accurate than I am in a reasonable amount of time.

I guess another part he needs to look at is how many rounds a year he is shooting or plans on making. Spending big money to only make 500-1000 rounds a year I dont know if that makes sense more than that I can see the need to go with a good good progressive.

9. Dec 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yea there is alot to learn and do to make quality ammunition, alot of which should be learned 1rd at a time. I know nothing about progressives but have been reloading single stage for years. If my brass is clean and polished i can turn out probaly 100rds of say 9mm in a evening. But something like .357 mag where i have to trim my cases to insure good uniform crimp is a different story. Same would be true for .556 or .223.

10. Dec 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell

+1 on the Lee progressive. I went cheap, after having had only Dillon SDBs, and used a pro1000 in 45acp up until it cost me a decked out Kimber (ran a squib through in a match and blew the gun up). You can probably find my post and pics somewhere on this site. My Square Deals never failed me like that. I went right back to Dillon with an RL 550b, without any more worries.
    I use a Lee turret for my .223. I figure I'm weighing powder and checking OAL on every round anyway.

11. Dec 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    I know it's best to start on a single stage press and once I figure things out move to a progressive. But can't I just run one round at a time through a progressive and it is essentially a single stage press? Then once I have everything figured out slowly add more rounds till I am utilizing all stages simultaneously.

12. Dec 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Trust me on this, alot of people think they wanna reload and turn out thousands of rds right up until they do it for a bit and figure out its alot easier to buy loaded ammo. I actually enjoy it doing it but i load enough at one time to last a year or so. As far as .556 goes i load hunting ammo but buy cheap bulk stuff to burn up.

13. Dec 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Not affiliated with this place at all but thought I would share a cool looking loading block with Y'all. This company/guy makes the loading blocks on a CNC machine, very precise. Polished Aluminum with clear anodizing added for protection. Yes it is overkill but a very nice accessory to have/use. One of my 458 Socom loading blocks works OK but the other plastic one has a few squares that are too tight to work well. I just ordered two of them, one for a gift for my hunting buddy in 40 S&W and fellow reloader and one for the 458. He engraves the caliber on each one but, of course like a lot of other things, you could use them for other calibers if the case fits.

http://cncshooter.com/

14. Dec 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Very clean looking product. It would be nice to see prices though.

15. Dec 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    45longcolt

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    They were $31.50 each. I know it is overkill and pricey but when I die someone is gonna say, "wow, this is nice", but I gave myself a very nice Christmas gift this year that did not cost too much. :)

16. Dec 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    45longcolt

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    It sure holds the rounds just perfectly too. Now I got to order myself another one of them as they are smaller than the large plastic ones I was using and take up less bench space.

[​IMG]

17. Dec 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    That looks great, I may have to try to make one of them myself

On another note, does anyone know what the largest diameter bullet you can fit in a .223/5.56 case?

I mean like necking it up like the .300 AAC blackout (I know that is off the .221 fireball)

18. Dec 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Well a 300 BLK doesn't have much of a shoulder, but I guess theoretically you could continue to cut down a 223 case to probably fit a 32 caliber bullet since it's a tapered case. The shorter you go, the larger the diameter. Might only be 1/2" long at that point though.

19. Dec 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Ok, just a curiosity thing at this point. Something about a heavy chunk of lead out of an AR appeals to me (.50 beo and .458 socom do as well).

Also does anyone have a good cheap powder recommendation for .223/5.56. I'm looking for plinking loads, 55 gr bullets, and whatever I. Can get cheapest, same with powder and primers

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  20. Dec 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    I use BL-C2 for .223/556. Ball powder, flows great, accurate as hell. 26.5grs with CCI primer.

To Top