1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relocating stock Back-up Camera

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ekard, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    ekard

ekard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB 4X4 OR
    TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach coils, TSB Leaf pack, Toyota Bed Mat and D-Rings, Dakine Tailgate Pad, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech Floormats, PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16, SCS F5 wheels
    Has anyone moved their back-up camera from the tailgate latch to somewhere else?

I use a Dakine tailgate pad for hauling bikes and it covers up the latch and therefore the camera:
    [​IMG]

It's not like I really need the camera for anything, but I don't like having it go to waste and just showing a static filled black screen in my mirror.

I also don't really need it for hooking up to a hitch, so if I could reorient it a little better to look straight out, that might be nice.

Might just try to fab up some sort of modified license plate frame mount, but if anyone else has anything else inspiring, I'd love to see it.

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Don't you ever drive it without hauling bikes, and thus can remove that pad?

Is that a flap for the tailgate latch in the center?

Can't you just remove that flap, or tape it up so the camera and latch isn't covered?

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    That camera is the best part, well not really best part but I really like the backup camera. I thought it was sooo stupid in the begining but know I'm hooked. Could not fit my truck in the garage with out it. :D

markface likes this.
  4. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    ekard

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB 4X4 OR
    TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach coils, TSB Leaf pack, Toyota Bed Mat and D-Rings, Dakine Tailgate Pad, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech Floormats, PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16, SCS F5 wheels
    My work is bike related, so there's a bike to be hauled more often than not. It would be too much hassle to take the pad on and off all the time.

Since I never know when I'm going to throw a bike or two (or 6) in the back, I'd prefer to leave the flap as is for protection.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    why not just buy a bike rack that you that hooks up in the hitch receiver?

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    ekard

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB 4X4 OR
    The pad is way cheaper, completely universal, doesn't take up space, and fits up to 6 bikes.

I've had my share of racks and had complaints about all of them.

I can live without a backup camera if need be, but I'm looking for a compromise to make it at least somewhat useful.

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    Old thread revival: Has anyone relocated or replaced the stock camera with an aftermarket license plate mounted camera? Is it a matter of cutting the stock wires and splicing the new camera's to the stock harness? My swing away and rtt completely block my rear view so moving the camera would be helpful.

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I don't know if Ekard every found a satisfying resolution, but my recomendation would be to cut a little window in the Dakani pad.

9. Feb 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    mipawlus

mipawlus #332 Veteran Overland, #159 TTC, #69 in your heart

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Poopypants
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Rust and dents and squeaks
    bump. anyone come up with an idea? woods247 might be onto something.

10. Feb 14, 2014 at 1:54 AM
    Bocarat

Bocarat New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 7596
    I came looking for the same answer for a different reason. I am putting on an ACE topper with a back door hatch and my tailgate will be completely removed.

11. Feb 14, 2014 at 3:39 AM
    Lastplace

Lastplace Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast VA
    Cut a small hole in the flap?

12. Feb 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    I'm looking to remove my tailgate and either put on a net something. Also wondering if anyone has relocated the camera. I love the camera function and would like to keep it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  13. Apr 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    XwXRYANXwX

XwXRYANXwX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Sport w/ TRD Supercharger
  14. Apr 18, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    Ralston

Ralston Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    Great idea here. I was about to do it when I realized the bottom edge of my rear hatch door literally goes right across this oem hole. I was thinking about buying a blank hitch receiver plug cover, cutting out a hole in it, and then mount camera in new lowered location. Might be hard to adjust camera angle...

I might just duct tape the little bugger to my rear diff....

15. May 31, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    jasclair

jasclair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Current: BHLM, plasti dip badges/bumper, Satoshi homer taco style grille, custom TRD, pack rack Marshall fab, window tint,interior paint job, ome lift,wheels spacer, white light interior, retrofit headlights.
    just get some velcro,and stick it to the handle, Then wallah your handle stays up and you still have a back up camera

16. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    Denvertaco124

Denvertaco124 Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 Limited
    Installed: K&N COLD AIR INTAKE, WeatherTech Floor mats, Weather Tech Side window deflectors, Leer Cap 100XR, ARB FRONT BUMPER, OLD MAN EMU HEAVY KIT, WARN VR10,000 with wireless remote, rigid led's, Cooper discoverer ATP 265/75r16, ARB Differential Breather, IBS Duel Battery system, Engel 45l Fridge with slide. 4x Innovation Sliders, 4X innovation's rear Bumper with Rigid Defused flush mount,
    I know this is a really old thread. But! This is a problem that Dakine was aware of, we've actually redesigned our tailgate pads and now have a solution for the backup camera. You will see the new tailgate pad this spring. No need to relocate the camera! Just get an updated pickup pad.

17. Jan 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    DRP6833

DRP6833 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Frederick, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma I4 4WD
    I just swapped out the factory stereo for a Pioneer last weekend. I'm going to put a backup camera in the bumper next to the license plate.

UPDATE: The camera mounted here is working out great for me. The center section of the bumper is angled inward so when I mounted the camera flush it was looking off towards the passenger side. I was able to fix it by removing the threaded mounting hardware, pointing the camera in the proper direction, and gluing the snot out of it with RTV on the back. There's a small gap around the camera frame towards the license plate as a result.

The thing I didn't figure on is that the license plate lights tend to blind the camera. I'm looking into installing a relay to cut out the license plate lights when the backup lights come on. Stay tuned...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  18. Jan 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    I double sided taped mine to the top of my bumper. Works great.

19. Apr 16, 2015 at 5:23 AM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
    Subbed, relocating after I finish my swing out.

20. Aug 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM
    Alfred

Alfred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfred
    California
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB
    Anyone have pics of it relocated on a aftermarket bumper because the tire carrier was blocking it?

Rat_Bastard likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top