1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relocating transmission cooler with pics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chris135, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Chris135

Chris135 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    so i decided to have one of my buddies from the shop give me a hand doing the work i'm unable to do and had him relocate the horns, temp sensor and tranny cooler. pretty easy mod, in case any one is wondering what the purpose of this is, it's mostly to fit off road lights behind the grille or just for a cleaner look.

So most of the pictures are relocating the tranny cooler as theres already write ups on relocating the horns but i couldn't really find any with pictures on the tranny cooler.

Here we go, please excuse me if this seems a bit incoherent at times. i'm not used to doing any sort of write ups.

Start by popping your hood and removing the grille. once removed unbolt the horns and move them to the destination of your choice. i chose at the back of the engine bay on the inside of the apron where there are already holes threaded. but before doing so we split the wiring loom and separated the horn wiring from the temp sensor wiring. haven't seen anybody do this but didn't want anything to change with moving my temp sensor all the way to the back of the engine bay. You can leave it in the same place but i found the wiring a slight bit tight so i chose to move it underneath the upper tie bar and zip tie the excess wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With those out of the way it was on to the tranny cooler. Unbolt all 3 of the brackets from the body. And remove the middle bracket on the bottom completely. Simply put a J clip or U clip on at the one end

[​IMG]

Then bolt it back on with the bottom bolt for the hood latch support.

[​IMG]

Once you have this bracket on you can bolt the tranny cooler back up. we replaced one of the bolts with a longer 10mm.

[​IMG]

top view

[​IMG]

Go ahead and bolt the right bracket back up. it may be a bit of a stretch and require a slight bit of bending.

[​IMG]

And as you will find its on a nice JDM angle. You can still see the hose in the way but hardly noticeable for not having to drill any holes or extend your lines. now the next step is optional for extra sturdiness and JDMness. Zip tie the where the middle lower bracket was to another whole in the rad support to the side. Hard to see in the pictures but its there honest.

[​IMG]

Special thanks to my buddy Devon (applying the zip tie here) for doing the handiwork for me.

[​IMG]

And final pics.

[​IMG]

close up

[​IMG]

and top view

[​IMG]

thought i had a better picture of the cooler mounted up but i guess not. Hopefully some one finds this little writeup useful. it works for me as i didn't want to drill any extra holes or extend any lines unless i absolutely had to. Oh and i also forgot to mention when relocating my horns we also took the guards off the end. not sure the exact purpose, perhaps to keep water out? Heres a picture. i removed them to hopefully get a bit more sound since they'll be all the way in the back now.

[​IMG]

2. Apr 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    I love write ups with pics

3. Apr 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Might look better on the eyes but air flow to the cooler is restricted even more.

Not that it matters much factory cooler and location is pretty sad if you tow alot.

Thanks for placing up the pics and info for those looking to relocate.

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Hey should probably relocate his atrac button for a cleaner look

5. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    Chris135

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)

6. Apr 16, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    Chris135

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    I suppose there's no real good way other then being aware of any slight changes in the operation I the tranny, that and checking the fluid regularly to see if starts to smell like its being burnt. But I thought I read somewhere on here once that our transmissions had a sensor just no gauge. In which case I would assume the sensor would throw a code? I never actually checked to see if there was indeed any type of sensor though.

7. Apr 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Chris135

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    yeah my original intentions were to put it lower where the lower grille area was but it wouldn't reach. so we kinda just made it work. i was thinking about making a plastic shield that would work as an air guide to the cooler. but none of that matters now since i just got in an accident and fucked the front end of my truck. I might take the opportunity to replace the bumper with a plate bumper while we are repairing it. Thus making the relocating the cooler pointless all together. that and it probably needs to be replaced now. hahaha oh good times :D

Products Discussed in

To Top