1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remembering 9/11: Where Were You? Share Your Story.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rleeharris, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I was in the 8th grade 9 years young, our school was getting ready to do an english portion of a standerdized test called the PACT test when they made an announcement for the teachers to meet in the hallways on the pa. We didn't know what was going on as the teacher was just reading direcions. She came back in and told us the gist of it and asked if we would like to watch it, most everyon raised their hand so she turned on the tv to CNN. Maybe 15 minutes later my mother came and picked me up from school. I remember every detail about that day. My father had started working as a emergancy systems coordinator at srs a month or two before 9/11, a nuclear plant in SC/GA, me and him were both war buffs loved reading stories about old battles so he knew a little bit about al queda and had told me about a week before 9/11 that there were people in this world that wanted nothing more than to hurt the Americans but that our soldiers and government was doing a great job at protecting us (a statement which I believe still stands strong to this day), and that as long as he and and the rest of the US Armed Forces had something to say about it that's the way it would be.(Also still true) At first the only feelings I had were hatred towards the people who had done this, we weren't sure it was al qaeda but had a good idea, later it was sadness and greivence for the people who had loved one's involved in it. I remember telling my dad that day that I was going to enlist in the armed forces he said that'd be fine. Unfortunatly, I can not join due to my hearing imparement, but now every chance I get I help a soldier out be it pay for their meals at a resturaunt, help load their grocies, cut their grass anything I can do to allow them to see just how grateful I am for them and their service. I personally will never forget that day, I still get flashes of anger and greif, and am still a little bit bitter about it, when I think about it. I only wish I could throw some lead back at them so that they may possiably have some kind of remorse about what they have done. As with many people it did not truly hit home untill a few years down the road as to how bad it was, being that I was so young.

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    i was out at lunch recess in 8th grade when i found out. my father(hvac tech, plumbers local union #1 in nyc) was sitting in his work van 1 block away from the towers when he heard crap falling in the roof of his van. long story short, we didnt get a call from him till 3 hours after they fell, they found his van a month or so later with a steal beam thru the roof, filled with melted metal and mercury. very sobering thinking about how close i was to losing him. he took cover in an adjacent buildings basement while they fell but has since been diagnosed with lymphoma. hes alright for now, just has blood tests every month to monitor it. if it wasnt already covered by his union, the wtc health registry would pay his health insurance 100%.

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris [OP] "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Everyone serves in their own way, and often limited by forces beyond his or her control. Those simple things you do for service personnel speaks volumes about what kind of American you are. I can't tell you how many times I have received a kind gesture from a stranger (I can't tell you how many free cups of Starbucks coffee I have received, bought for by a complete stranger!) ... each time it means so much. Just because you can't serve doesn't mean you are any less patriotic. You are doing your part and thank you for that!

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    i was in 3rd grade.. :anonymous:

all i remember is waking up to news and no cartoons :(

5. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I was doing field work in a remote part of British Columbia on 9/11. Long before we heard any of the news, my assistant and I commented to each other that the skies seemed oddly quiet -- you don't notice the subliminal noise of air traffic until it disappears.

It was several days after 9/11 that we came out of the woods and saw on the front page of a newspaper in Whistler the headlines about what happened. My whole family lives in Manhattan so it was a relief to hear a voicemail from my mom saying that everybody was okay.

6. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    At the time, I worked for Union Pacific and was home taking a sick day. I was laying on the couch listening to the new reports about the first plane that hit. Then they were showing the live footage of the tower burning and all of a sudden here came the second plane slamming into the other tower. I'll never forget that as long as I live. It was like something you would see in the movies...only it was really happening.

7. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Wow, to be cut off from all that was happening. I guess there is some small blessing in being unaware.

8. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    It doesn't feel like enough sometimes tho.

9. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I was 20 years old still living with my parents going to college. I was home alone that morning and turned on the news while I was still in bed. First plane, thought it was just a horrific accident....then when that second plane hit, I knew it was attacks against our country. To all the lives that were lost that day, you will never be forgotten, rest in peace.

10. Aug 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I can understand that. Sometimes I wish the military would overlook some disabilities and let those who want to serve in the military. I can think of at least 50 jobs (20+ in Intelligence fields alone) that don't require perfect hearing or even partial hearing. In some ways, I think a deaf or blind person may be more adept at certain skills than those with perfect hearing or sight. I've read that some blind people have extraordinarily acute hearing that would be an incredible asset to the intel fields. There are many other ways to serve your country/government in the civil service. The Dept of Defense hires many civilians, and I know two right off hand that are paraplegics.

FYI: I've been serving for 20 years, and everyday I think I could've done more. Just keep supporting the troops and proudly wave Old Glory. When I retire in a couple months, that's what I'll be doing too.

11. Aug 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    TRDBen

TRDBen Mall Crawler of the Year

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4 Door TRD V6
    Front Window Tint KYB Monomax Shocks Blue Dome Light Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    I woke up around 6 west coast time, went into my moms office ( I was 9 at the time), saw what was on tv and immedietly started crying and asked to call my father at his office. He had been planning a suprise trip for his and my mom's anniversary to NYC and they were due to take the red eye on Sept 12. He talked to me and calmed me down, then he talked to my mom and told her about the plans for NYC. Needless to say they postponed the trip.

12. Aug 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM
    jobrec

jobrec Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Mesquite, tx
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Debadged 2x4
    3" suspension lift, nitto terra grapplers on 18" he835 helo wheels, KDC-X395 radio, Alpine 500w amp, JL audio 10" thinline subwoofer
    I was in third grade, and now when the guys in my unit talk about it, I feel like a baby

13. Aug 25, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Having read through this whole thread, I want to commend Bob for his moderation of this very sensitive topic. And, with a small exception - that really just serves to highlight how much emotion is still invested in this topic - to everyone else who has kept it on track and willingly shared their recollections.

I don't often recount my story - actually just turned down an interview with a Swiss newspaper - and am not sure what motivated me to share it here. Perhaps it is because I am probably among the oldest members here and it seemed right to ensure we don't forget the many personal tragedies that day. For me, it is important to honor the many who lost their lives, those who were injured and their families. So, I tend to shy away from telling my experiences.

And I agree with Bob that there are many ways to "serve" our Nation and honor those who protect our freedoms - not everyone can...or even wants to serve in the military. Anyone can "serve" by volunteering to help at a not-for-profit like Meals-On-Wheels, Habitat for Humanity or a local animal rescue or shelter. Heck, take the time and use these great trucks to drive a leg of a transport to help deliver a dog to his/her new forever home. That 3 hours will put a smile on your face. Service isn't just the military - it's about understanding that we all should take some time to give back to our community and Nation.

In my story, I mentioned two civilians who followed me into the impact area at the Pentagon. Lee, a military spouse, has worked at the Pentagon for years. She's a bit older than me and is a well-known fixture to action officers on the Army staff. She could have easily just exited the Pentagon instead of running back to her area from a meeting on the other side of the building. Instead, she instinctively felt the need to ensure her staff and colleagues were accounted for.

Jeff was just a few years out of college and working as a contractor in our office. He certainly had no committment that made him feel compelled to follow me that day. But he did. He and I still talk from time to time - normally around 9/11. The sights, sounds and smells he experienced were terrifying yet he steeled himself and kept going. He told me recently that at the time of the secondary detonation when you could literally see the floor ripple under us, he knew he was going to die...but he stayed with me until I yelled for everyone to go.

Neither had to risk their lives. They could have easily left the building and no one would have thought any less of them. I submitted both of them for heroism awards - I think that Jeff was the only contract civilian employee to be so recognized at the DoD awards ceremony that was held several months after the attack. They risked their lives to help others, not because they had to but out of a sense of service to others and a committment to help.

We can all do that. It doesn't have to be something as dramatic or dangerous because every little act of service helps someone or something.

9-11 will always be a part of my life. Not just because of the events at the Pentagon that day but two years later on 9-11 at 11:09 my grandson was born. Out of tragedy comes hope.

Mark

14. Aug 25, 2011 at 3:43 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I was talking with my 17 year old last night and he has a pretty good memory of that day. The one thing he remembers is the fact that after 9/11, I was gone a lot. He remembered that I wasn't there much of the time. I hadnt really thought about it until now. Just for grins, I added up how much time I was deployed or TDY before and after 9/11...

Before 9/11: ~209 days since Dec 1991
    After 9/11: ~633 days since Sept 2001

15. Aug 25, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I was on ship in the 'yards behinf the PETA building in norfolk, Va.I heard about the first one and shrugged it off, not the first time it's happened. I saw the second plane hit and remember thinking "oh, the bastards.....game on." I went below and started getting weapons and and ammo ready to plus up the ships security. The months after that were a blur getting the boat ready for a deployment that would take us to the invasion in '03, and I didnt feel as if I was going my part until I got to my SEAL Team and deployed for the first time.

For the lost, never forget those who died, never forget those who killed them.

16. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:02 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    ^ well, I'm not anywhere close to being a SEAL (much props to you and yours!) but on the Intel side of the house... That first couple years does seem like a blur looking back on it. 20hr days were not uncommon, but at the time it seemed somewhat normal.

17. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I was sittin in english class in 6th grade when we finally got told about it. all day long the teachers had been sayin what a beautiful and great day it was so we knew somethin was up. finally we heard that the towers were hit and everyone was like oh shit. then the pentagon got hit. I remember dad was working at the pentagon at the time. I, along with a few other people who had parents working there, got called out of class and sent home. I was freaking out the whole day because nobody could get ahold of him. finally at like 9pm he called us sayin he was fine and that he was going to be gone for the next few days helping with the searches and cleaning up debris. for some reason he had decided to go for a run like 10 minutes before the plane hit the pentagon and was actually outside and saw the plane hit. IDK if it was blind luck or someone was watchin over him but he was workin in the wing that got hit that day.

It is weird that I was so young but i can still see the entire day as clear as if it was yesterday

18. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    TacomaMan07

TacomaMan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Black Toolbox; Bed Mat; BFG ATs 265/75/16
    Buy me nice things? My parents have not paid a dime towards my truck besides gas and insurance. Ive made ever car payment ($380+). You ignorant asshole.

19. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    07NavyTaco

07NavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, short bed, 4x4, bilstein 5100s
    billy 5100s @ 1.75, black grill and lower valence, tinted windows
    I was in 9th grade, english class. I went to a small private schooland we didn't have tv and cable in the classrooms. Out principal made an announcement and i didn't really get it. I had friends crying and people were in awe. My teacher was speechless. It took me a few days to really understand the magnitude of what had happened, then I was pissed. Well now I'm in the military and I'd say a big part of my decision process was the rememberance of 9/11. I'm glad I was able to serve my country again and don't regret a single day of it.

20. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    I was on my way to a service call at Deutsche Bank, the building that was heavily damaged by the flying debris from the WTC. A colleague of mine in Texas called on my cell phone and asked where I was, to turn around, go home and turn on the TV. Confused I did what he said. About then, the radio went dead. I cursed my 87 Nissan truck and finally found a radio station. The news was fragmented and confusing. About then, my friend’s wife called me stating the Ken, her husband was in the city and she was frantic to get him out. She asked the best way to do this and although I knew many short cuts and back roads could not really explain the path. I told her I would get him so off I went. I called him and told him to head for the west side 38st ferry. The phone went dead and I hoped he got the message. My path worked reaching Weehawken, where the ferry docks, within minutes. The road was blocked about 1 mile from the ferry so I camped there and called Ken but all circuits where busy. I stared at the smoking site where the towers once stand and could not believe it. I must say tears came to my eyes. After about an hour a vehicle stopped next to me and Ken got out. A complete stranger had delivered him to my truck. We stared across the river for a while but did not talk. I returned him to his wife who couldn’t hug him enough. On the way back to my house I passed a commuter parking lot and just wondered who was not coming home. We lost many people in our community that day and erected a monument made from the steal girders from the towers. It truly changed our town.

God bless their soles and God bless America.

Products Discussed in

To Top