1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remembering 9/11: Where Were You? Share Your Story.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rleeharris, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    If you guys have the discovery channel there is a show on now, in sc, about them constructing the new buildings and monuments. It's called "Rising" and is being presented commercial free. I'm recording it on my dvr.

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris [OP] "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Thx. My wife recorded it too. I'm trying to record all the 9/11 shows, watch them, and then show the most appropriate ones to my kids on Sunday, 11 Sept. I plan to make it a day of remembrance and education for my 4 children--especially my 13 and 11 year olds. My 17 year old totally gets it and my 4 year old is, well, a 4 year old.

3. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    I was in 6th grade. Principal came over the intercom and told all teachers to turn the news on. That whole day, everyone was completely silent. Couldn't believe what I had just seen.

RIP to all the men and women lost on 9/11 and the men and women we have lost fighting in the war. :pray:

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I had spent the night at a friend's house and had to stop by my parents' house to pick up my books before heading off to class (I had just started my last semester of college). My mom had left a note on the table telling me to turn on the news, a plane had hit one of the towers. I thought she had lost her mind! Who could imagine such a thing happening?!?!? But I turned on the TV, she had left it on a news channel, and I was in shock at the images. I remember seeing a huge black plume of smoke coming from the 1st tower and then seeing the camera swing over as the 2nd plane hit the other tower. I dropped the TV remote and knelt down on the floor in front of the TV just staring in disbelief, shaking my head. I sat there, without really moving, and watched the chaos on the screen and then watched as both of the towers fell.

I eventually made it to school later that day and it was eerily quiet out there...with the exception of the TVs in the public areas and in my computer lab. My teacher had all of the computer monitors showing the news coverage. I sat and tried to concentrate on my work but it was useless, everyone there was glued to the news. It seemed like everyone was in a daze, just trying to comprehend what was happening that day.

5. Aug 26, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I think in some ways it's still hard to comprehend. I watched a couple documentaries on 9/11 last night and these were graphic. It brought back a whole string of emotions.

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    In college, a Junior, getting ready for work, watching the news/weather. The story broke, and I happened to watch plane #2 hit, live. It was completely surreal. I got on my bike and rode to work. Everyone was silent, but we kept working. Obviously, it was a slow day, some people didn't know, so being the *first* person to tell some of them was a weird feeling.

Devastating.

Glad that MFer is finally fish food, though.

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    dexdawg

dexdawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB OFF-ROAD
    I was in the Air Force stationed at Andersen AFB, Guam. I was a desk sgt in the LE/Security field. We were working 8 hour shifts at the time. I worked that night and was going to have a 24 hour break before returning to work. It was around 1am that morning my wife and I were playing playstation and the phone rang. It was my mother-in-law calling asking us if we were watching the news. Of course not at 1 am in the morning. We turned the news on and started watching. Now if anyone else out there is or has been in Security Forces in the Air Force you can probably guess what happened next.

It wasn't too long before my telephone rang again and I was being recalled back into work. Every cop on the base was to report to work, arm up and report to a post. It was mass confusion because no one really knew what was going on. Of course our threat level was immediately increased and we had to wear all our gear. From that day everything was totally different, as you might imagine. I remember driving my patrol car around during work and always hearing the country songs about USA and they would insert clips of President Bush speech into the song.

8. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I know what you are talking about. I was LE (old 811X2) for my first 9 years. I remember the days of 30-n-30s, and 80-2s. Crazy stuff. And yes, things have been totally different since that day.

9. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    3" Toytec Ulitmate Lift 285/70 Wrangler Duracturs 17" American Racing wheels TRD SUPERCHARGER!!! :) TRD Catback to come . . .
    Great thread OP! I remember I was getting ready for my physics lab that morning in college. Saw it on the morning news. . .couldnt believe what was happening, had to call the folks back home to make sense of it all. Truly a sad day.

10. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I just knew there would be some great posts. It's a small world, and I had a feeling there were some folks on here (like Devious6 and kingston73) had actually been there in the thick of it. That's amazing testimony some of us may never have read otherwise. I also think it's a great way to remind all of us of this tragic day, those we lost, and how are nation has changed since.

11. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    andrew7940

andrew7940 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lousiville, KY & Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 DB CAB TRD Sport 6speed
    Kenwood DNX 573s, ICON lift kit with Dakars,
    I was a freshman in High School. Now i'm here in Afghanistan.

12. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I can imagine it was. Good on your mom for helping out. I'm sure she will never forget the experience.

13. Aug 27, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I was working the midnight shift at a laser optical manufacturer in Temecula. The crew had just gotten off work and we were driving home. We typically had Bill Handel's "Handel In the Morning" show on the radio (KFI AM640 out of LA). When the first one hit, we thought it was some kind of weird accident. Then the second one hit and we knew it was something big. When the first tower collapsed and then the second, my coworker started crying.

14. Aug 27, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    It was a beautiful sunny day - had just gotten back from walking Ollie. I was sitting in my family room surfing the net and watching tv - was enjoying being home. I had just gotten back (3 days earlier) from PSAB (Prince Sultan Air Base), Saudi Arabia and was deciding what to do on my time off. The channel I was on, broke in to say a plane had hit the 1st tower, seeing all the black smoke, and then the camera swung around and the second plane hit and then watching the people jumping from the buildings :eek: Then the first tower falling and then the second one. Then hearing about the other two planes as well... After a little while, had to turn the tv off - it was on every channel - couldn't imagine why someone would want to do that to us.

Was horrified at what had happened and was worried for the guys who were still at PSAB and due to leave the next day to head home.

15. Aug 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    Just got home from work started watching the morning news before the breaking news came on.sad day

16. Aug 27, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    WingNut55

WingNut55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC TRD Off-Road T|X Pro
    I was just coming home from a deployment in Kuwait. Some of us were originally going to be on one of the planes that hit the towers...we got lucky and got flights the day prior...

Needless to say we all said our prayers when everything happened...

17. Aug 29, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    i was eight years old in 3rd grade and i remember walking into my classroom that morning and seeing the smoking towers. i was only there for a half day when my parents took me out of school, my dad is an ex military vet and he became very paranoid about the whole deal. he was buying up lots of non perishable groceries and tons of ammunition for all of his guns.

18. Aug 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    motorsport36

motorsport36 Black Lights Matter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Furnace, AZ
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 AC 4x4
    On patrol. Just did shift change. Pulled a guy over for speeding then headed out to a communications outpost. When I got there, I went into the break room and the second plane hit. We went into threatcon Alpha and I was out there for three months.

19. Sep 1, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    I was in Utah getting ready for work....watched on tv in disbelief :pray:

copied this story below from emailVVV :oldglory:

[FONT=&quot]Semper Fi!

This is little-known story from the Pentagon on 09/11/2001:

During a visit with a fellow chaplain, who happened to be assigned to the Pentagon, I had a chance to hear a first-hand account of an incident that happened right after Flight 77 hit the Pentagon.

The chaplain told me what happened at a daycare center near where the impact occurred. This daycare had many children, including infants who were in heavy cribs. The daycare supervisor, looking at all the children they needed to evacuate, was in a panic over what they could do. There were many children, mostly toddlers, as well as the infants that would need to be taken out with the cribs. There was no time to try to bundle them into carriers and strollers. Just then a young Marine came running into the center and asked what they needed. After hearing what the center director was trying to do, he ran back out into the hallway and disappeared. The director thought, 'Well, here we are-on our own.'

About 2 minutes later, that Marine returned with 40 other Marines in tow. Each of them grabbed a crib with a child, and the rest started gathering up toddlers. The director and her staff then helped them take all the children out of the center and down toward the park near the Potomac and the Pentagon. Once they got about 3/4 of a mile outside the building, the Marines stopped in the park, and then did a fabulous thing - they formed a circle with the cribs, which were quite sturdy and heavy, like the covered wagons in the Old West. Inside this circle of cribs, they put the toddlers, to keep them from wandering off. Outside this circle were the 40 Marines, forming a perimeter around the children and waiting for instructions. There they remained until the parents could be notified and come get their children.

The chaplain then said, "I don't think any of us saw nor heard of this on any of the news stories of the day. It was an incredible story of our men there. There wasn't a dry eye in the room. The thought of those Marines and what they did and how fast they reacted; could we expect any less from them? It was one of the most touching stories from the Pentagon."

Remember Ronald Reagan's great compliment: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."

God Bless the USA , our troops, and you.

If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the military, please pass this on and pray for our men and women who have served and are currently serving our country and pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.[/FONT]

20. Sep 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I was fixing copiers at a Cleveland school. Everyone was watching the news. I was thinking that no building could stay standing for long after that. I dared not speak it, for I knew what a collapse would entail. I said a prayer, and wished, for once, to be wrong.

Products Discussed in

To Top