1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

<Remington 887 or Benelli Super Nova>

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by sandman427, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
  2. Feb 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Anyone bump

3. Feb 15, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    Uhaul-n-azz

Uhaul-n-azz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    fayetteville,AR
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Stock
    I own a benelli nova and have never had any problems with it not working correctly. The pump forehand does move around alittle and makes some noise when you are carry it around. Also i would not buy the comfortec it really does not do any more than a limbsaver pad and cost alot more.

4. Feb 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Yea there both bad ass and all and great firearms but just not dead set on one lol... Hell I'm looking at semi autos now too... FML HAHA

5. Feb 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Dude get a saiga-12 hands down badassest cheap semi shotgun ever. Plus its reliable as hell since its designed directly from the AK I've had it for years and have shot that more than any other gun I own and its never let me down, only drawback is its a bit on the heavier side but its totally worth it.. especially when everyone at the range is like omfg dude I like your gun

6. Feb 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Yea but would that be practical for skeet though... Isnt the longest barrel like 20" on a saga.. Please correct me if I am wrong oh and don't get me wrong saga is bad ass but donno I that's what I am looking for?? ... The thing is I want to get into target shooting...

7. Feb 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Oh uh I dunno, I'm into more practical things like killing people so I got the shortest barrel I can get but it comes in longer barrels and you can get some low capacity magazines I would assume I've never looked for them though. Otherwise I found a stoeger semi auto for 400 at sportsmans warehouse brand new but I don't know much about them or any other semi auto shotguns
    I would hit up a local shop with a good selection and ask about all the models they have see which one feels and you'll get a general idea what you'd like more.. and ask all the questions you can since their job is to know these kinda things

8. Feb 15, 2011 at 12:39 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Atleast that's how I go about buying my guns, check out shops narrow it down to a few models then check online for more specific issues that concern you and reading a bunch of reviews that would help a lot in your final decision

9. Feb 15, 2011 at 1:48 AM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
  10. Feb 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Why would you fork out that much for an aa12 plus all the licenses you'd need cause its full auto.. totally not worth it imo........ but wtf I've never wanted a keltec anything but omg I got a hard on for that shotgun..

11. Feb 15, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    I was told a few months ago by a couple guys at a gun store that those 887 are junk. They told me I should stick with an Older Wingmaster 870.

12. Feb 15, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Bring Yuengling To MN!

Member:
    St Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra DC 4x4 RW
    I have the 28" barrel Nova and it makes a really nice goose/duck gun. It's been exposed to just about every element a gun can be exposed to and I've never had a problem. My only complaint is the forehand. I like "quiet" guns for hunting and this forehand is a bit noisy. I got mine the first year they hit the market here so maybe they've improved that.

If you're one who likes to outfit your guns then you're probably better off with the Remington. I have an 870 and there are 50 times the toys for that than there are for my Nova or any of my other shotguns. I would bet the 887 will have a similar following.

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    Uhaul-n-azz

Uhaul-n-azz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    fayetteville,AR
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Stock
    A benelli m2 american is a good semi auto just bought one a few months ago for a little over $900 hasnt jammed yet and is alot easier to clean than the gas operated shotguns.

14. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I LOVE Benelli's, I have a a Super Black Eagle II and the M4. My brother and my father both have Nova's and love them.

I use my SBE II for shooting skeet, and I must say it's really nice to have a fast auto loading shotgun if you are shooting doubles or happen to miss on your first shot :rolleyes:. Also of all the shot guns I've shot the SBE II has been by far the most comfortable for me to shoot. I could go on and on about how great that shot gun is but I'm sure you have already read about it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I'm sure the Remington 887 is a great gun but I have never shot one so I can't give an honest review.

15. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I would get the 887 for sure. It is more solid and weill built in my opinion.

Benelli makes wonderful autos, but their pumps aren't that great.

16. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor&#9734;Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    This! My buddy bought a 887 nitro tactical and the damn thing won't pull the shell from the tube half the time. For some reason the spoon won't engage the shells. This shotgun also ejects the shells out the bottom if you don't watch what you are doing... I feel bad too because it was me who suggested he look at remington based off of my years of experience with the 870 wingmaster. Go with the benelli or the new beretta I have shot both and love them compared to the crap that is the 887. Hope this helps anyone looking to get a nice shotgun.

17. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    Benelli Super Nova .

18. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    I have the 887 and have hunted with my friends Supernova so I can tell you first hand. The 887 feels good in your hands, is far lighter than the Supernova (a welcome feature when toting it along with a bag full of decoys and trying to stay upright in your waders). We hunt at the coast and the Supernova has become a rusty POS (granted, my friend does not take great care of his stuff, but the rust is generating in areas that you would not normally clean such as the little button on the bottom of the slide that allows you to release the shell in the chamber without reloading a new shell from the magazine)

My number one complaint about the 887, and I think someone mentioned something like this, is that it does jam on me occasionally. It will lock a shell in the chamber and not release until you knock the two pins and pull the trigger set out. Not a great thing to deal with in the rain and cold of duck season. I believe I'll be able to fix this by trimming the action lock slightly. You can tell the gun is put together to such a high tolerance than when it jams, it's completely locked in place. No slop whatsoever when the gun is fully assembled.

The Benelli was a kick ass gun when he first bought it. It's heavy, solid and reliable. Plus the camo coat on it looks sweeter than most guns for some reason. However, I don't believe the Supernova is worth the extra money.

To put the cherry on top, about a week after I purchased my 887 and took my Supernova friend hunting with it, he purchased an 887 as well. We both opted for tactical black (even though the gun is a standard 28" barrel with small magazine, they call it "tactical") as to save even more money. By the time the ducks see your gun, if you're hunting correctly, its probably too late for it to matter whether it is camouflage or not. :)

19. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    Jedi7Taco

Jedi7Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC LB sport Indigo Ink
    Stuff...
    I've also heard the 887 are junk, but have not shot one, only handled them in stores.

I have shot a Benelli Super Nova and I thought the gun was going rattle apart in my hands.

If your going to go with a pump stick with an 870, I've had one for a few years, I have shot a lot of trap and skeet with it, and do quite a bit of quail and pheasant hunting, never had any problems what so ever, just can't beat the reliability of these shotguns.

With that being said, my next shotgun will be a browning or ruger over and under, bad ass shotguns for the range or in the field.

20. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    I agree with this. In my case, my 870 is a standard Blued finish with wood and it was getting destroyed by the hunting conditions where we go. I couldn't handle destroying a gun I knew I could easily have for the rest of my life if I took care of it.

The 887 handles the conditions well and for the price will be a reliable, corrosion-free gun for many seasons to come.

To Top