1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote key fob lock and choice of manufacturer

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by qkalaker, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Jun 2, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    qkalaker

qkalaker [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCLB Offroad
    Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have a new Tacoma and am shopping for a cap. Jeraco does not offer a remote key fob actuated rear hatch lock, on the premise that they are unreliable. Too bad because I have a great quote on a cap from one of their dealers, and the dealer is highly recommended. Does anyone have input on this? I am liking the idea a lot, as I dread dragging extra keys around for nothing. Also any input on brands of caps? So far Jeraco and Ranch are the brands in central/western NY that are the best price. Am I missing something, it seems like there is no real difference on basic items between the different brands.

Thanks everyone.

2. Jul 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    JDUB-Fabrication

JDUB-Fabrication Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newburgh NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Lexus GX460
    From what I have gathered some of the small companies are just re branded versions of leer and are. I am also looking for keyless lock on a cap. I really want the above cab height, but no manufacturer makes keyless for mid-rise caps for the Tacoma. I have found both ARE and Leer offer keyless on a couple of the cab height toppers.
    I haven’t checked the smaller guys, but your saying they don’t offer keyless.
    Snugtop makes a mid rise cap with the keyless lock, but no dealers on the east coast.

3. Jul 21, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    qkalaker

qkalaker [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCLB Offroad
    I ended up getting my best price on a Leer. in the process of soliciting prices from various dealers I got a lot of really strong feedback on keyless fobs. The common report was mrsalte applications in the winter screwed them up pretty quickly. 1 dealer said they would sell me acap equipped with one but only after some strong objection. Jericho won't even in manufacturer cap with 1 on it so I elected to go with a conventional slam latch in hopes of having less trouble over all that way.

4. Jul 31, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    Waterdogutah

Waterdogutah Member

Member:
    Ordered a Ranch Icon. Decided against Key Fob just because dealer said its one more thing to go wrong and i'll be locking my tailgate anyway with key so no big deal to use key with cap as well.

5. Aug 3, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    markgphoto

markgphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma ArmyGreen TRD Pro
    I have the Leer 100XQ with the electric lock. I tied it into my tailgate electric lock. Now, everything locks and unlocks with my fob. The only trouble I've had is just a loose wire a few week after it was installed. Fixed it myself and works great since.

Products Discussed in

To Top