1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start Recommendations

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jimsmithrn, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jan 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM
    jimsmithrn

jimsmithrn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hey folks:

First, I've searched and do not see an answer.

Next, I am in the market for a remote start for my 2016 TRDOR. I'm being told that regardless of how much money I am willing to spend, that I will have to have two key fobs. The OEM lock/unlock and the remote start FOB. Apparently, this is because the truck needs the factory fob in order to work. This doesn't really make sense to me because, if the truck needs the fob, how does it start remotely with the fob in my pocket in the house?

So, I'm reaching out to TW to see if anyone knows of a solution that gets me one key fob.

Troll Preemption: I'm also telling the trolls that a remote start is a good thing for me. I live on a farm and my truck is parked pretty remotely to my house. In the morning, I take my children to school and it is a 1/2 hour drive. They get into a cold truck and are sweating after 10 minutes, have to remove all of their gear, and then put it back on before getting out. It's really a pain. Getting into a warm truck without so much gear is a much better option.

McDerper likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Google gave me this in 10 seconds:
    http://www.scottcrumptoyota.com/rem...serving-birmingham-tuscaloosa-bessemer-hoover

I suggest you contact the dealer. I know my dealership offers this service, I just don't have the need for it like you do.

I wish I had it every time I was in the Middle East. I hated having to go out in the 135 degree heat, start the truck, and wait under an overhang for the truck to go from "convection oven" to merely "Foreman grill."

3. Jan 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    compustar/drone mobile

treimche, Martimus and cohiker like this.
  4. Jan 20, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    canuck guy

canuck guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    23TRDOR
    If you live near a town or city that has 1 or more reputable aftermarket shops that sell and install remote starts, visit and see what they can do. I have a remote start and only need the fob for it. It does everything the factory fob does and more. 2 of the biggest starts are Viper and Compustar.

jimsmithrn[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 20, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    WarrenG

WarrenG Well-Known Member

Member:
    What ever you do , do not get a box store to install, they are hacks. Pay the extra $$ and have a high end stereo shop with a good reputation to install it.
    Both compustar and viper a good products

6. Jan 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    As for the two key fobs statement there are 1 or 2 guys here that had theirs setup to
    use their existing key fob, can't recall who they are but they did it and said it works fine.

7. Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM
    Buddha717

Buddha717 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma TRD sport DCLB PTJBL
    There was a thread here about remote starts. They used the existing Toyota Fob and just pressed the lock button three times to activate the remote start

8. Jan 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    orion9

orion9 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I too have been researching this, basically what it comes down to is if you have pushbutton start you need the factory fob in the vehicle to drive due to the immobilizer. To answer your question about how it starts remotely with the fob in the house, it uses an immobilizer bypass, an added cost that you wont see when shopping on ebay or Amazon. An aftermarket fob will not work with the immobilizer for driving so you'll need to use your original. There are options for using the factory fob programmed to remote start thru a combination of button pushes but now your limited to the short (60-80') range of the factory fob. Either you end up with 2 fob's or use a smartphone based system. Viper makes smartstart and compustar drone mobile, the drawback is they are additional hardware (cost) and subscription based.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Jan 20, 2016 at 3:24 PM
    FlyFisher1

FlyFisher1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    When mine comes in I am going to get the basic Viper 2 way remote start.

musher and jimsmithrn[OP] like this.
  10. Jan 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    jimsmithrn

jimsmithrn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the responses. I spoke with a reputable local shop and they're positive I'm gonna need two fobs for the same reasons listed by @orion9. I'll look into the smart phone option, but think the basic start fob is going to be the best overall bang for the buck.

11. Jan 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    FlyFisher1

Member:
    NJ
    It still sucks you need an extra fob but the Viper is pretty small plus the smart key isnt that big so its still better than having a regular key+fob. The factory key range is so bad its not even worth it.

12. Jan 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    gzkrutoy

gzkrutoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    W. Peabody, MA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DC
    I have a remote starter installed and I had them only use my factory fob. I press door lock 3 times to start the truck.

13. Jan 20, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    kahanabob

kahanabob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD 2WD 4DR
    agree...i would go with the dealer on something like this...first thing that comes to mind is they will have to disable the requirement of pushing on the break pedal to start the engine. i would not let some independent audio shop start cutting wires. would think if the dealer does it you will only need 1 fob plus keep warranty in tact.

14. Jan 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    Aussiek2000

Aussiek2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Offroad AC
    which brand and model remote start did you go with?

15. Jan 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    Blek13

Blek13 Active Member

Member:
    Nantucket
    Vehicle:
    2016 super white TRD Sport DC
    I have a 2016 trd sport and have a compustar remote started installed. I only need my factory remote to start it. I hit the lock 3 times and it starts. I went to a reputable place that does remotes all the time. They told me there was just 2 extra wires in the wiring diagram that allow the factory key fob to be used.

I wouldn't go to the dealer. Go somewhere that puts them in all the time

ExtraExtra likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    FlyFisher1

Member:
    NJ
    How is the range?

17. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    Blek13

Blek13 Active Member

Member:
    Nantucket
    Vehicle:
    2016 super white TRD Sport DC
    As long as the factory key fob reaches it'll start. Prob about 100 yards. Maybe a little more.
    Plus. The remote start came with 2 key fobs. I don't use them but still have them.

MasterTJ and FlyFisher1[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I have had an Autopage for about seven years now, I use it every day and most nights too. I don't think they are still around. I have a guy that is razor sharp with that stuff so I use him. You can get them to reach quite a distance these days.

19. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Look into the Fortin Evo One, remote start/security/bypass in one unit. Works with 3x lock on the oem remote.

Also as someone else mentioned the compustar will pull a remote start input from the door lock data wire.

Yes i've done this before. ;)

Elevated likes this.
  20. Jan 20, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    Buddha717

Buddha717 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma TRD sport DCLB PTJBL
    Which model did you get from Compustar?