1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Starter suggestions plz

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LDrider, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    jbboater

jbboater Member

Member:
    I just installed on on my 07 DC. I bought the alert 650 on Amazon for $65 includes alarm. I used the xk05 imobilizer bypass from e-bay for $28. I spent alot of time researching but in the end I would do it again. It took me about six hours over two days from start to finish. I would say I wasted 1.5 hours do to my stupidity. I soldered every connection.
    FYI, the security light works as it should without connecting the wire form the xk05. Also the drivers door will unlock with the truck running from the remote. Most of the wires are very easy to get to. From my research I was worried about finding the two wires on the ecm for the bypass but that was easy. If only I did not get them reversed (see wasted time due to stupidity) the first time. I was outside in my driveway and day two is was a cold rain. But now I can get into a warm truck so it was well worth it.

2. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Hey JB, did you use an installation t-harness or did you have to cut wires? I have a Clifford RSX 3.5 (2-way FM w/LCD remotes) I bought for my old truck and never installed. I'd like to put in the Tacoma but don't want to cut the factory wires. I think the Toy-1 t-harness for Bulldog systems might work except that I'd have to cut off the Bulldog specific plug ends and solder to my Clifford harness. Not sure though.

3. Dec 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM
    jbboater

jbboater Member

Member:
    The only wire I had to cut was one that went to the xk05. On the rest I just stripped away about an inch of insulation, spread the wires and slipped the remote start wires in between them, wrapped, soldered and taped with white electrical tape. I looked at the t-harness but I think it only helps with the 5 ignition wires. If i want to remove it I just disconnect the wire i added and re tape the wire on the truck.

This is where i found how to make the connections.
    http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/ModelsRS82_85.pdf

Hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions.

4. Dec 7, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I have done a couple of these but not recently. Making the connex isn't that difficult but a t-harness might save a little time and stripping a few wires. The hardest part is taking apart the interior, finding all the necessary wires, and figuring out where to hide all the boxes. This system requires a separate relay for dome light supervision and requires a tach input. Plus with the bypass module (I need to get) that's a lot of stuff to cram into the dash and/or console.

I just took a look at my Clifford system and did an inventory. It looks good except it is missing the 3-pin door lock harness. Just a simple conector and 2 wires (green and blue). I guess that's what I get for buying on ebay and not doing a detailed inventory. I think this one may be compatible but not 100% sure the connector will be the same. Wire colors aren't the same but that doesn't matter.

http://www.lesscoelectronics.com/Omega_DLP_3_Pin_Alarm_Output_Wire_Harness_p/dlp by omega.htm

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    nocarsallowed

nocarsallowed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4X4 - Access Cab
    NO MODS YET! 20" Enkeis with NT420 performance tires coming soon...inspired by genxer36.
    Sry for posting. just keeping this thread in my account. I have no input on this matter.

Continue...:)

6. Dec 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM
    spfldtaco

spfldtaco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma double cab
    Just had a prestige remote starter installed on my 08 DC, it works great,No more cold steel on those frigid northeast winter days.But a word to the wise,Wherever you have one installed make sure you have the " Manager" not the installer go over all the electrical with you to show that all lights, gauges,(etc). are in working order. Because if you end up with electrical problems or burnt out bulbs they will try to say it happened before installation, this happened to a friend of mine, also have the manager look at your dash to show that there is no scrachtes on your dash, this also happened to my friend, he had a new maxima that was in mint condition and ended up with electrical problems and gouges on his new dash, needless to say he was not happy and the stereo shop he brought it to would not correct this for him saying these problems where already there, learning from his horror show, The manager where i took my taco, and i took our time and went over my 08 dc and when we were finished he looked right in the installers eyes right in front of me and told him anything happens to my truck it will come outta his paycheck, I recieved my truck back with no problems or "Horror " storys, So taco owners learn from my friends horror story and enjoy your remote starter.

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    nocarsallowed

nocarsallowed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4X4 - Access Cab
    NO MODS YET! 20" Enkeis with NT420 performance tires coming soon...inspired by genxer36.
    TY:). I will definitely exercise your advice. I'm looking at the clifford brand.

Products Discussed in

To Top