1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Starter

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by gmaes16, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    gmaes16

gmaes16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Does anyone have recommendation for self install remote start?

2. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    I Installed an AutoStart AS-6870 combo alarm/starter and have been very happy with it. When you buy an autostart starter you can download a vehicle specific wiring diagram for your truck so you know what connections to make. The two way remote is great because you actually know if your truck is in range.

3. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    I, myself have been researching this, what type of range should I expect. I would be willing to drop for the SmartStart, where you can use your cell, but I have no 3G coverage where I live, so thats not a option.

4. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    jjsask

jjsask Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab 4x4 TRD
    The AS-6870 that I installed has excellent range in a line of sight situation. I have acheived 2 way communication with the truck over at least 2000 feet. If you go inside a buidling it becomes much more variable. I can always start the truck from my basement in my house about 150 feet from the truck. However, I have been in some buildings where the range is less than 100 feet, due to building construstion and interference. In my opinion this unit has very good performance and has never been sub standard with respect to range. The nice thing about a 2 way unit is you always know if you are out of range and you get confirmation when you lock/unlock or remote start as well as an alert if the alarm is triggered.

I seriously considered the smart start option as this model of starter is compatible and I have an iPhone. I decided noto to bother for now as the monthly fee is a pain and I have been very happy with the remote inculded. I could however install the smart start module at any time should I decide to. I would reccomend installing a compatible starter like the 6870 and adding the smart start module if you get the 3g coverage in your area in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top