1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removable Body Scratches?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by baltimorebirds2, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:08 AM
    baltimorebirds2

baltimorebirds2 [OP] tacomama

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Maryland, United States
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD Pro 17” Wheels, Toyo Open Country AT3 33s” (255/80/R17), Hooke Road Offroad Roof Rack, LEDs (Low Beams, High Beams, Fog Lights, Interior Lights, Reverse Lights, License Plate Lights), Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Fog Lights (Yellow), Sequential Turn Signals, OME Nitrochargers, OME 887's 2", Icon 1.5" AAL, Yukon Clamshell Bushing, Alpine ILX W-650 Stereo, Infinity Primus 6004a Amplifier (140w*2), Sound Ordnance M75-4 Amplifier (75w*4), Infinity Kappa 693C Component 6x9 Speakers, Infinity Kappa 63XF 6.5 Speakers, TRD Shift Knob, Black Emblem Overlays, TRD Grille Badge, OEM Door Sill Protectors, Driver’s Seat Jackers, Pop and Lock Power Tailgate Lock, AJT Designs start button and trim, 4x4 knob, shifter trim, and cupholder trim, MESO Customs Vent Rings and Door Handle Covers, Gasshole, Drop Stops, Bed Lights, Rough Country Roll Up Tonneau Cover, Window Tint, KDMAX Tune
    Calling all body guys…

Hey all, hope is going well. I’m adjusting well to the taco and am actually liking it a lot, maybe better than my old tundra. Anyway got pretty much most fluids changed and just did the spark plugs saturday (pretty easy). Just started looking at some smaller things to fix, and my eyes caught a bunch of scratches on the passenger side, mostly below the passenger and rear door handles. It honestly looks like someone before me took it off-road, and must’ve scratched it against branches or a tree or something. I noticed some when I went to buy it, and it didn’t really matter that much to me because I liked everything else about the truck.

I’ll attach the pics below, but I don’t know how easily they’ll show up on camera. They look like clearcoat scratches for the most part, my fingernail doesn’t catch any of them, but it catches a couple of the deeper ones, which is to be expected. My question is, can I take a polisher with a light to medium cutting pad with some clean cut rubbing compound to buff these scratches out? Will it yield pretty good results? Hoping it will make some of the deeper ones a little less visible but I know some will not buff out completely due to their depth. I also plan on getting like a polishing pad with some wax afterward to cleanup after using the cutting pad. I figured I would get the pads from a brand named chemical guys on Amazon, and I already have some turtle wax clean cut rubbing compound. What do you guys think? Any advice? Just hoping to hide as many scratches as possible, or at least make them look less visible. Thanks.

Brooks

PS: The worst ones are on the rear quarter panel and the lower passenger and some of the rear door. I know the fender flare ones probably won’t disappear because the plastic itself is scratched.

D8AAE7B4-66FF-4560-94B7-BDB832A17C80.jpg
    2E5D1556-3C9A-444E-8152-01014BD86223.jpg
    FD9BC1A3-B075-45D2-88D8-6E1B45D470CE.jpg

2. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:11 AM
    pltommyo

pltommyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Gray Tacoma TRD Offroad
    SSO hybrid bumper, Warn winch, RCI skid trilogy, RRW sliders, everything in the cheap/free mods thread, and of course the frame recall work.
    No pics, but I used to use the medium and then the light polishing compounds with a soft cloth to rub them out. Now they are so numerous it would take a paintjob to cover them.

3. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:14 AM
    baltimorebirds2

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Maryland, United States
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro 17” Wheels, Toyo Open Country AT3 33s” (255/80/R17), Hooke Road Offroad Roof Rack, LEDs (Low Beams, High Beams, Fog Lights, Interior Lights, Reverse Lights, License Plate Lights), Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Fog Lights (Yellow), Sequential Turn Signals, OME Nitrochargers, OME 887's 2", Icon 1.5" AAL, Yukon Clamshell Bushing, Alpine ILX W-650 Stereo, Infinity Primus 6004a Amplifier (140w*2), Sound Ordnance M75-4 Amplifier (75w*4), Infinity Kappa 693C Component 6x9 Speakers, Infinity Kappa 63XF 6.5 Speakers, TRD Shift Knob, Black Emblem Overlays, TRD Grille Badge, OEM Door Sill Protectors, Driver’s Seat Jackers, Pop and Lock Power Tailgate Lock, AJT Designs start button and trim, 4x4 knob, shifter trim, and cupholder trim, MESO Customs Vent Rings and Door Handle Covers, Gasshole, Drop Stops, Bed Lights, Rough Country Roll Up Tonneau Cover, Window Tint, KDMAX Tune
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, I guess they’re going to get to the point where it makes no sense trying to rub them all out. The pics didn’t upload for some reason, I’m figuring it out

4. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:26 AM
    SouthernFried

SouthernFried Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB
    I use a touch-up pen for chips and really small marks. Anything else and there is really only so much you can do. Not the answer you want to hear, but I’d just ignore it. Unless a vehicle is garage kept and never driven, it will always accumulate marks. There’s no way around it.

5. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:28 AM
    pltommyo

pltommyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Gray Tacoma TRD Offroad
    SSO hybrid bumper, Warn winch, RCI skid trilogy, RRW sliders, everything in the cheap/free mods thread, and of course the frame recall work.
    It wasn't difficult to do; took maybe 30 minutes for a scratch of unknown origin on the drivers door when I first got her. Wash area, rub with medium compound according to directions, wipe off area, wash area, rub with light compound according to directions, wipe off area, wax area. I use my truck pretty hard and do a lot of trails and off-roading so it has become more scratch than clear paint areas but if you don't do trails it will stay looking fine for a long time and you can keep up on scratches that you will get from people walking past it or the occasional two-track.

6. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Good rule of thumb, if you get them wet and they disappear. They will buff out. I would start with light to medium compound. Only use heavy cutting compound if you know what your doing. Paints are thin these days.

7. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    I drive a Miata.
  8. Apr 11, 2022 at 6:21 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Really depends how deep those scratches are. Once they go through the clear coat, you have a problem. With some elbow grease i've used different grades of plastic polish on my old tundra's clear coat finish that were pretty effective.

9. Apr 11, 2022 at 6:38 AM
    pahaf

pahaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 6112/5160 OME Meduim leaf pack JBA HD UCA 3* retard exhaust gear TRD Pro Sema rims 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W
    Well, you can always try compounding it.

I use Maguires compound that you buy at any store. The black bottle with the red car on it. It cuts pretty well and leaves the surface pretty clean and shinny. Not always needing a polish after. And if you have a dual action polisher, I would highly suggest a microfiber cutting pad. So much better then the orange, blue, green sponges that I used before.

10. Apr 11, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    The mothers headlight lens polish with the polishing wheel worked well for me.

11. Apr 11, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Just saw this thread and I made a similar one before that, does anyone here have a good source for super white touch up paint?

12. Apr 11, 2022 at 12:33 PM
    Tacoboutkewl

Tacoboutkewl Well-Known Member

Member:
    for light scratches, a coat of wax will diminish their appearance by filling in the scratches a bit, but the scratches will show again once the wax wears off

13. Apr 11, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    Tacoboutkewl

Tacoboutkewl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Could also try a “glaze” instead of compound - these do a light cut & fill in scratches a bit.

compounds come out the best, but you’re often cutting away a lot of good paint, to reduce it to the same level as the scratches

14. Apr 11, 2022 at 1:39 PM
    skidooboy

skidooboy titanium plate tester

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Sport OV Tuned, Cement
    dd light bars, trd cat back exhaust, KDMax tuned, trd skid plate, 2" lift, sema wheels toyo open country at3 tires.
    another rule of thumb is, if you can feel them with your finger nail, you will be repainting the panel. ski

zoo truck likes this.
  15. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    wayne0

wayne0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    https://erapaints.com/

16. Apr 12, 2022 at 5:31 AM
    baltimorebirds2

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Maryland, United States
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it! I think I’m going to try some polishing pads to get some of the clear coat scratches buffed out. The pictures have finally been uploaded :D

Products Discussed in

To Top