1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removable swing outs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BlackSportD, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    So the bumpers came already (a little steamed that the rear didn't come with the ordered high clearance hitch but the net dragging hitch, but I don't want to deal with returning it and waiting another 6+ months for a bumper), I still haven't run 220v to the garage:
    - how quickly do I need to get these bumpers painted? They are in a SoCal garage right now.
    - Looking at the kits below:
    http://emsoffroad.com/tire-carrier-kit/
    ^ Most similar to what Relentless does, but I would need to finger out how to drill the hole for the spindle through the bumper (and gusset beneath).

https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Assembly_p_109.html
    ^ This one IMO will be the easiest to install/weld on. But will make the rear bumper stick out about 4" vs the Relentless style above. I like the open lock built in, but shouldn't be hard to buy one separate and incorporate into first listed design.

https://www.comp4x4.com/collections...e-kit-with-dual-shear-bracket-universal-mount
    ^ more spartan of the 2nd choice.

I"m leaning towards the first listed option as it is most similar with what Relentless went with and many other brands- it doesn't hang off the side adding length, but builds up from the top portion.

Any shops people can recommend for cutting the two shaft holes in the bumper? It will need to be precise and I doubt I have the equipment and precision to do it myself. Luckily the bumper is already gusseted a few inches below the top portion, so no gusset will be necessary when welding- I'll take a pic of what I mean.

*Pics
    IMG_20190317_095909__01.jpg
    So option 2 and 3 are out, recover points do not permit. Also have a damn dragging tow hitch but Relentless hooked it up with some product. I'd return but I don't want my bumper to turn into a year.

IMG_20190317_095930__01.jpg

Internal bumper (upside down), the bracing inside should also suffice as a gusset for the shaft.

Looks like I'm going option 1. I've always diy drilled holes but this bumper is probably way beyond my cheap bit's range- anyone know of a socal place to get this hole done?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Mar 27, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    loudboy

loudboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '04 4x4 TRD Off-Road Limited
    All-Pro lift, Addicted tube bumper, Revenge sliders, stuff and crap
    Glad to watch you taking a stab at this first because I want to do something similar in the near future. Bummer about the ass-draggin hitch. Good luck on the rest of your build

3. Jul 3, 2019 at 1:39 PM
    quetzal

quetzal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 XtraCab SR5 TRD 4x4 5spd
    All-Pro UCAs, King 2.5 C/Os, All-Pro Expo Leafs, Bilstein 10" Shocks
    Bro,
    I just pm'd Eric asking him to make sure that my non wrap around comes with the hidden hitch vs the low dragging one too. I hope he reads it before shipping my product.

4. Jul 6, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    loudboy

loudboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '04 4x4 TRD Off-Road Limited
    All-Pro lift, Addicted tube bumper, Revenge sliders, stuff and crap
    Any update?

5. Jul 6, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Oups, yeah. Took the bumper to a guy that does structural Tig welding. He cut the hole and welded it up.
    IMG_20190513_094146_729.jpg

I bought an Amazon swing out DIY 'kit' where it has the bearings, sleeve, plate for tire mount, latch and little misc odds and ends but have been super lazy at getting tube stock, cutting equipment and having at it

I also want to install rear frame braces before mounting up a swing out.

loudboy[QUOTED] and cruiserguy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top