1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

remove cylinder on ignition key tacoma 1998

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by flht, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Dec 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    flht

flht [OP] New Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 v6
    Anybody can tell me how to remove the cylinder in my ignition key on my tacoma 1998,I think the blade in the cylinder are in bad condition and I want to change it.I know that It had number on the blade and if I can open the cylinder I will go to my dealer and buy blade.

paul

2. Mar 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    jmlinne

jmlinne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4 w/ 5-speed manual and locking hubs, stock for now
    Mine is a 5-speed and the key gets harder to remove all the time. I assume the switch is worn out after 16 yrs. I bought a new one at NAPA but after I got the panels off I'm somewhat baffled. I'm clear across the country from my manual. I want to change the cylinder and just deal with the key difference. Noone seems to have the answer to how to change the cylinder. Shouldn't be that hard but I see a clamp to the column that is bolted with a stud (no head on either end). It's also not obvious what to remove.
    Comeon guys, gimme some help!

3. Mar 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    Mossy

Mossy Mechanic for Honda

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    san antonio, TX
    ProComp lift Borla exhaust Borla air filter Nfab bars
    The switch and ignition cylinder are two different things! The cylinder will make the key hard to turn or not turn at all. The switch will not start the truck when the key is turned. There are tumblers inside the cylinder that get worn. This is a common problem on Honda vehicles and I always recommend a new key and a re key of the cylinder or a new cylinder period. There are a few options there

4. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    jmlinne

jmlinne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4 w/ 5-speed manual and locking hubs, stock for now
    Well, I had to stop at the local dealer and was shown how to change the cylinder. I already had a replacement purchased at NAPA. Once you have the panels off look at the bottom of the cylinder unit. Also look at the replacement. There is a hole in the the receptacle that houses the pin seen on the bottom of the replacement. With the key in the correct position (ACC I think) you can insert a small punch in the hole and release the old cylinder. Pull the whole unit out by the key. Insert the new one in the same way. Takes about 1 minute. The new cylinder is so smooth I didn't realize how bad the old one was getting. I do, however, have separate keys for the doors and the ignition. Oh well, after 16 yrs it's understandable.

To Top