1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remove the differential drop on your 05+ Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by mjp2, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Dropping the diff helps tilt the diff so lubrication moves away from the pinion bearings. Front driveshaft is a one-piece and is designed for parallel pinion angle <---> transfer case output flange/shaft. Tilting the pinion angle puts the driveshaft geometry OFF in this case.

And of course, you lose clearance.

Once again: Diff drops don't do shit on 2nd gens. High CV angles on 2gens don't matter anyway, except for boot wear, and that's easily solvable with the clamp mod. These are not 1st gen CV axles. Toyota screwed some things up on the 2gen, but they did their homework with the front end. It's a rather robust setup for an independent axle. Telling that you see WAY more busted rear e-locker diffs on these trucks than any front end problems.

2. GlenYoshida

GlenYoshida Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 4Runner SR5 Auto
    Toytec lift, Armorolorgy front bumper, Stainless steel rear bumper, Warn M8000, Lotus chromoly CV axles, Lil Skips gas tank skid, Bud built skids, LD RCAMS, 305/70R16 on 16x8s, ARB F&R air lockers, 4.88s, Dual batteries, On board CO2... some other stuff too.
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought you might have been implying that the joint angle on the drive shaft was more severe with a diff drop.

For those of you that are more confused than ever, the bottom line is that going with or without a diff drop doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It's up to you if you prefer a lesser cv angle or the greater clearance under your front differential. It's not going to cause your front diff to blow up if you use a diff drop kit nor will it stop your boots from wearing through.

Go either way and enjoy it. It's six of one or half dozen of the other. Lots of people have both and as you've probably noticed there isn't a clear cut path for either choice. That ought to be a good indicator of what difference it actually makes. As for the strong opinions. It might as well be an argument of which color is better, Red or Blue. Seems like people will find a way to get a strong opinion about just about anything. I'll prove that point...

Red is way better than blue!

3. GlenYoshida

GlenYoshida Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 4Runner SR5 Auto
    Toytec lift, Armorolorgy front bumper, Stainless steel rear bumper, Warn M8000, Lotus chromoly CV axles, Lil Skips gas tank skid, Bud built skids, LD RCAMS, 305/70R16 on 16x8s, ARB F&R air lockers, 4.88s, Dual batteries, On board CO2... some other stuff too.
    That's just silly. The diff drop isn't a magic elixir that is supposed to cure all and make everything better. Toyota didn't include a diff drop because if a lower diff would have been better (for stock height) they would have just designed the differential to be lower in the first place. Toyota already put the differential at the optimal place for a stock suspension. No seller or producer of a diff drop has (to the best of my knowledge) ever made a claim that it makes a change that one should expect to be "great". If one had that expectation then it was unrealistic. When we lift our rigs it changes the geometry. Small changes can make a difference as the miles and trails tick by.

I'm guessing that when you said it made "absolutely no difference" you were exaggerating a bit to try and make a point. If you meant to say it doesn't make a huge change in CV angle then I'd have to agree but if you truly think it made no difference then you were not paying much attention and were sleeping in your high school geometry class. Maybe the cute girl in class was wearing her magic sweater that day ;) No man is immune to those kinds of distractive powers ha!
    Through basic trig you could measure the difference the diff dropped and how much that reduced the CV angle.

You would be more right if you said math doesn't lie. Post up some numbers to show that the differential drop made absolutely no difference and let your peers review your numbers to verify them. You will be vindicated if you are right or will have learned something if you are mistaken. Either way it's a good thing.

4. Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    hmmm....should I remove it or leave it be?

5. outdeh

outdeh Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Armortech Hi-Clearance Rear Bumper, Bilstein 5100s, OME 885 Coils, Camburg Uni-Ball UCAs, OME Dakar Leaf Springs, OME Nitrocharger Sport Rear Shocks, Demello Bolt-On Sliders, Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator, SnugTop Rebel Camper Shell, Yakima Rack, Weathertech Floor Mats, Armor Tech Hi-Lift Mount, ABS Kill Switch Mod, Daytime Running Lights Mod, Extra Bed D-Rings, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    I removed my diff drop earlier today. I feel a lot better without it, thanks to the OP and all those that contributed useful info to this thread.

In case anyone is wondering what the difference on the angle of the CV boots looks like, here are before (with diff drop) and after (without diff drop) photos.

Unlike other photos I've seen that were taken from different angles, which skews the perspective and doesn't reflect the actual difference in CV angles, I ensured these photos were taken from the exact same position and angle. As you can see, there is a slight difference in the angle of the CVs, but not so much that I would consider it significant. As others have stated, I'd much rather have to replace my CVs a touch sooner and not face all the potential problems discussed in this thread.

[​IMG]
    with diff drop

[​IMG]
    without diff drop

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  6. nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    and to be honest... the stock config has a cv angle thats much better parallel to the LCA orientation that will cause it to arc in a very similar way to the LCA.

7. Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    Diff drops are snake oil.

I've never believed in them or used them.

RJM

8. VinTaco

VinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Burnaby bc
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    Borla Exhaust, AFE intake, billet grille, side bars, custom head lights, Bilstein 5100s, 2in lift.
    That is a lot of damage, I wonder if the mechanics who insist on installing one with even a 2 in. lift can understand the downside of a DDK. ?? Some wont even do the lift without the DDK because they say they cant guarantee the job without one.

9. rcrick263

rcrick263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 6spd
    None
    DD Kit crossed off the list of parts to buy for new lift!

10. ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, Sylvania zXe head/fog lights, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, Toyo AT2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid
    No shit! I was searching for an answer to that question earlier this week as I plan my lift.

What lift are you going with? I'm thinking OME today because I'm not a big wheeler (drive 60 miles to/from work most days) and it seems to have good reviews. Then there's ICON...I like that too. I think either one should have new UCA's.

11. rcrick263

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 6spd
    None

I've been comparing OME and Toytec. I think I've decided on Toytec between those two, just for the adjustability, and easier install. That way I can dial in the exact ride hight, and easily adjust for taco lean. But ICON will offer those things too, being adjustable coilovers. Are there any advantages from ICON over Toytec? ICON is more $$ if I remember. Either way I'm going to get LR UCA's

12. ThomasMore66

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, Sylvania zXe head/fog lights, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, Toyo AT2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid
    ICON is some coin, but it does consistently have great reviews. I did see a forum where KING and ICON folks got all insane over which was better, but I'm sure I'll never know the difference. I might blaze a dirt trail, but I'm not going rock climbing. I need it to drive on Monday morning. Now, if I get to a point where I have multiple vehicles, I could see having one set up for total off-road. That would be fun.

13. ThomasMore66

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    I went back and looked at Toytec a bit today from work. I'm thinking the advantage here is the use of Bilstein shocks and the Toytec coils. I still think OME rear AAL with the Bilstein shocks is a good way to go. You can't rebuild the shocks, but I don't see me doing that anyway. If you have to replace a front shock, you'd just replace the shock and keep the coil, right?

14. rcrick263

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 6spd
    None
    Yes I like the idea of Just replacing the shocks rather than having to rebuild them. Probably have to send them to Icon to rebuild, or at least someone that knows what they are doing. That means no truck for a while. Bilstein's you can do in a day and do it yourself. Sounds like the Icon's need to be rebuilt more often than the Bilstein's need replacing. Yes, you only need to replace the shocks, not the coils. Although most coils probably get weaker at some point.
    I'm looking at doing some Air bags for the rear, instead of the AAL's. Just not sure how they will ride compared to AAL's. I just don't want a stiffer ride, but I'm not sure how they will work with a lift. Do i just get 2" blocks and the Air bags? I know they make bags that can go with a lift, but I think I want to stay away from blocks. Hmmm..

15. ThomasMore66

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Air Bags! WTF? Do people do that on 4wd's?

I've been all over the place this week on which lift I want. I spent a bunch of time with the search function looking at OME, Toytec, and Icon. I keep leaning back towards Toytec. So, why do Tacomas lean? Why do people with OME have to correct a lean? Would that be because of my fat ass on one side?

16. ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    12' AC TRD Sport 4x4
    AFE drop in filter, Black Badges, Wet Okole seat covers, PIAA xtreme white headlights, Nokya yellow fogs, UWS tool box, OME 885's w/1/4" spacers and OME shocks all around, TC UCA's, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, 285 Duratracs on 17" XD Addicts.
    Im going to take my DD off tomorrow!!

I love my OME lift. Ive had icon and toytecs before. And i liked the adjustability of them.. but they dont come close to ride comfort of the OME setup.. its great for a DD tacoma. The Icon's and toytecs were alittle too stiff and harsh set at 3" of lift for around town driving for me.. ofcourse it was alot better without the sway bar! Lol
    I left the sway bar on with my OME kit.. rides nice.

17. ThomasMore66

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Do you have lean? Lots of people seem to like the OME ride. I like the idea that OME is sold all over the world and some guy in Africa has put this thing to the test and it works.

What size tires are you running? I have this dream of 285 75 16's on my stock TRD OR rims. I just like that look - stock but not.

18. SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Harbor Freight 110v welder garage fab parts.

LULS, what planet are you from? The point of rebuild-able shocks is tuning and never having to replace them. The owner can rebuild them easily, well if you don't hog tie yourself to a brand that does not sell parts like fox, king and such

19. ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    12' AC TRD Sport 4x4
    AFE drop in filter, Black Badges, Wet Okole seat covers, PIAA xtreme white headlights, Nokya yellow fogs, UWS tool box, OME 885's w/1/4" spacers and OME shocks all around, TC UCA's, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, 285 Duratracs on 17" XD Addicts.
    No, I dont have lean because I have there trim packer for the drivers side. Im running a 285/70/17 with wheels that are 4.5" Back spacing...

20. george2pak

george2pak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BIG G
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 sr5 TRD offroad
    Brute Force Fab front& rear bumper with winch, sliders, skid plates by Relentless, tires 285/75/16" , wheels by SCS , CB Stryker SR497 etc
    [​IMG]
    With skid plate like this I don't think MJP2 would had have the same problem.
    I do agree with chris4x4 that without the DD it would had been less damage.

To Top