1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing 2012 AC rear center console

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Monkeyboy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Nov 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    It took me a couple minutes of head scratching to figure out how to remove the rear seat center console of the 2012 Tacoma Access Cab. I drink a lot, so this shouldn't be surprising. Still, I thought I would document the atrocities and share them with you.

The center console is held in with 4 large 10mm bots hidden under rubber mats. Carefully pry them up and undo the bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under that is a bracket held in place with 2 12mm bolts. Remove it.

[​IMG]

Celebrate victory with a beer. Time for part two - what to do with the gaping hole ?

NorrinRadd likes this.
  2. Nov 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    Monkeyboy

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    The hole that remains can be filled by 3/8 x 8 x 11 1/2 inch piece of something. Here, I used a scrap from my kitchen cabinets.

[​IMG]

That only serves as filler, however. I want a nice, flat-ish platform to house the doggies while we roll. A piece of 3/8 24x48 B/C plywood does the trick. Cut it down to 22x48, however or it won't fit.

[​IMG]

But, this sucks. The doors and storage area is covered. Also, I want to expose that tidy center area for storage. Take the spare two inch piece and bolt it on as reinforcement. Cut out space for the storage.

[​IMG]

Take the center piece. Sand it down a bit, and add a hinge, some reinforcement, and a support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cover with a blanket, and add doggies. It seems they approve. They slept the whole way to get pizza and beer. We're all fat and drunk now.

[​IMG]

3. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Awesome! Way to go dude.

4. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
  5. Jul 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    BOB Moore

BOB Moore Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BOB
    BRUNSWICK, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    PRERUNNER ACCESS CAB
    Thanks, before I broke it off!
    Two lower bolts made sense cuz of the little slot to lift up the rubber. The upper two not so apparent. Thought it might be just clips. Good thing I found your post first. Putting XM sat receiver in there.

6. Jul 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    SlamFire

SlamFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    +
    Reading the thread title, I wondered why in the hell anyone would wanna do this mod. Slowly, as I looked at your pics, the purpose became clear... both your best friends look very happy. Neat little extra hinged cubby, too. And you did a nice job of it.

7. Jul 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    There's no harm in leaving this bracket in place, right? At least it keeps the carpet down.

8. Jul 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Monkeyboy

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    No, you can leave it in if you want.

It was in the way for me, so I took it out. I ended up building a bracket for the ham radio that used those bolts, anyway.

One last thing I did - I found that outdoor bench cushion that fits pretty nicely back there, and holds up much better than dog beds. It doesn't pick up the stink from the dogs being wet. It also dries and cleans way faster, too. And it's way cheaper than the dog kennel mats you can find.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top