1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

removing adhesive on the body post debadging

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4421.frank, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    4421.frank

4421.frank [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    02 double cab prerunner supercharged
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    I just "debadged" the truck. Everything went well, although my finger tips are burnt and there is aton of old adhesive under my fingernails.

All the badges came off quite easy with some fishing string a heat gun. Plus some goo-gone.

On the badges on the driver side of the truck however some of the adhesive was left on and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it off.

I have tried picking at it with the fingernail, as well as some light rubbing with more goo-gone, and even a little more heat with the gun, but no results.

The spots are minimal, but I would like to get rid of them

other wise it lookks just fine

p.s. if anyone is interested in some badges, iahve almost all of the badges, and letters and numbers still intact. I'll give 'em to you for free, but you have to pay for the shipping.:D

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    use oops . it is another remover . it works great

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Rubbing compound :notsure: Check with one of our detailers on the forum.

PolishAndWax.com or

mShu7

4. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    rubbing alcohol works too.

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    03 DCSB
    magnaflow cat back exhaust, K&N filter, gray wire, deck plate, ome 883's, ome dakar leafs, bilstien 5100's, blacked out grille, AVS bug shield & window vents, arb bull bar, hella 5in lights, mile marker 8k winch, debadged tailgate, energy steering rack bushings, custom rear bumper w/ hidden receiver, custom headache rack, ome greasable shackles, 4.88's w/solid spacer, SS extended brake line
    stripe off wheel from a paint supply store just put it on a drill about 20 bucks

6. Feb 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    4421.frank

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    here's what I am talking about

[​IMG]

it's not bad but easily visble, and basically the only spot where it's visible.

P.S. any tips on removing that TRD sticker?

7. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    pdxwhiteout

pdxwhiteout monster taco in the snow

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    3-inch body lift, 6-inch fabtech lift, 17-inch procomp black alloys wrapped in bfg 37s. trd v-6.

x2

8. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    Dr_Kevorkian

Dr_Kevorkian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale CA
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Pyrite Mica AC
    How much will shipping cost for those emblems? Pics?

9. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:56 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP Double Cab Long Bed
    Too many mods to list
    Pretty much the same thing happened to me. What I did was use a Rubbing Compund. Used by hand, not really needed a machine. Then after all was said and done, I applied some Wax, since the surface wasnt really scratched or anything.

Also, the pic those look like there is still pieces and not just glue from the tape they use to place the stickers. You can just remove that first with your fingers or nails being careful and then do the above method.

Hope that helps.

10. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:57 AM
    john32

john32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seaside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Reg cab 2.7L SR5 Manual
    diff breather
    I would love to get the badges. Let me know if you still have them

11. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:48 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
    Cmack had the same damn problem...we tried everything to get that shit off...its bullet proof :frusty:

12. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:25 AM
    floger70

floger70 Young Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Waverley, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Taco, 4cyl, reg cab shorty.
    tundra front springs 3" lift chev half ton rear springs 3 inch lift magnaflow muffler cb 33" kuhmo mud terrains pioneer deck. bilstien 5100
    baby oil will take that off with a good scrub. im not kidding. and it will leave your door silky smooth :). its what i used anyway. any stickers or anything it works on

13. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    4421.frank

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    since we have both rubbing alcohol and baby oil in the house ( don't ask :jerkoff:) I'll give them a try and if that fails then I go the paint striper wheel route). It's just that little spot though, all other spots came out fine with a ltitle more heat and some leverage from the finger nail. Although I think on the spot Imay have "cooked" the glue somewhat leaving the heat gun on it for much longer than the other spots.

To those of you interested in the badges: Both badges on the doors are in intact in fine shape as well as the letters from "T O Y O T A, T A C O M A" on the rear bed gate. " p r e r u n n e r" is missing a "n" and a "e", but other wise it's all still there. sADLY THE "SR5" on the driver's side didn't make it:eek:. Postage would be under six bucks to anywhere in the continental 48 using USPS, if interested let me know

sionara bitches

14. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    Do not use paint stripper! Go down to any auto store and pick up some silicone wax remover (wax and grease remover) it comes in a metal gallon container, and it will take anything off of anything - Without effing up the paint. I grew up in a collision shop, and swear by the stuff.

To Top