1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing Emblems and Badges

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by khardy, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dec 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    khardy

khardy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Humble, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma PreRunner
    Hi All,

I have a new 2009 Tacoma and would like to remove the emblems and badges. Do they have any holes through the sheet metal for each badge or are they attached with glue? Also, what is the best way to remove them?

Thanks,

Keith

2. Dec 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    First, heat the badge with a hair dryer set on high for a few minutes. Then run a piece of fishing line (I used 25lb test) between the badge and the glue using a sawing motion. Wear leather work gloves to avoid slicing up your fingers. Don’t pull the badge off from one end; pull it straight off to avoid pressing the edge of the badge against the paint. Next, pull the thick glue off the paint by hand with the aid of your fingernails. Next, use Goo Gone to remove the small amount of remaining glue. Finally, wash and wax the section where the badge used to be.

Welcome to the forum!!! :D

3. Jan 1, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Easier way is to drip Goo Gone above emblem and let it soak/settle into adhesive backing, then remove.

4. Jan 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

URBIKESUCKS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    I have debadged many a vech and fishing line works the best.

5. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    khardy

khardy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Humble, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thanks Guys! I'll give it a shot this weekend. :)

Happy New Year!

6. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Try Goo Gone, it will NOT hurt the paint in the least.......let it work in from the top, and as you pry the emblem off, drip more goo gone behind it....it will lossen nicely and come off. I have not found any emblems on the Tacoma that were not attached with adhesive backing. Pretty much the same with all vehicles now as it does not required holes to be punched in body.

7. Oct 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    seareef

seareef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Vehicle:
    Bitch Magnet
    sorry to say i have been a bodyman for many years and thats the wrong way you never pry anything you can actually distort the panel doing it your way
    fishing line works best. on some emblems you can use a new plastic bondo spreader

8. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    SNWMN209

SNWMN209 "Welp...see ya in the shit.."

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, 3" Top Gun lift, Flux Capasitor
    3" Top Gunz lift Indash DVD Blacked out headlights K&N Intake Exhaust
    Hey seareef, the finish line you are talking about, can i get that at any auto parts store? Also, i am CRAZY scared that i will mess my truck up. Can anyone post steps on how to remove, paint then reapply them to the truck? Thanks.

9. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    yup the fishing line method is the best, I used some waxed dental floss on my truck, but i helped a friend of mine and he used fishing line, way easier...we used 20LB test

10. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Use fishing line or dental floss to remove the badges. Then use goo gone to remove the 3M adhesive (will not hurt your paint job). I used Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner to clean the surface where the badges once were. Make sure to wax the hell out of the area you used goo gone and the Meguiars paint cleaner. The use Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for plastics in the color of your choice to paint your badges (3-4 coats should be good). Then use 3M double sided foam tape to re-apply (you can get it at Home Depot). Use a tape measurer to make sure you put the badges in the same place...I hope this helps. This is what I did but I didn't re-apply my badges :)

Edit: DAMN THESE OLD THREADS TO HELL!!!! :laugh:

11. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    seareef

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Vehicle:
    Bitch Magnet
    honestly I dont know what test everybody else uses
    but yesterday i debadge a tacoma tail gate with fishing line Im not sure what test but I think 20 lb , dont go to the auto parts store go to wal mart or big five in there fishing section just buy a real small spool ( like 2.99 worth )
    dont even worry about messing up the paint , heres a couple of pointers you can use a hair dyer on low heat and keep it moving so you dont blister anything like your paint and heat the emblem up just slightly if at all probally not even needed honestly .. what I did is I just stuck my tail gate in the sun for a half hour then everything csame off easy

another trick is hold the fishing line under the emblem and slightly saw back and forth pulling slightly from left to right , and when you are sawing back and forth keep the line up next to the emblem instead of your paint , then cant mess up the paint
    then with your finger roll the extra thick glue back and forth till it gums up and comes off
    then what you are left with is glue residue , you can use goo be gone like everybody uses , but honestly I love laq thinner being a bodyman and painter thats all we use , just did it as long as it oem paint I have done 100s and never had a problem , infact tar ,road paint bugs, etc laq thinner is king

12. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    seareef

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Vehicle:
    Bitch Magnet
    just keep in mind it goes emblem -2sided tape --paint job
    keep the fishing string between the emblem and the tape and you cant hurt it
    most likey it wouldnt even need a hair dryer even on a cold day

now your trd decal thats a hair dryer all the way

13. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    SNWMN209

SNWMN209 "Welp...see ya in the shit.."

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, 3" Top Gun lift, Flux Capasitor
    3" Top Gunz lift Indash DVD Blacked out headlights K&N Intake Exhaust
    Thx everyone. this helps alot. :) i know what im doing tomorrow!

14. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  15. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    seareef

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Vehicle:
    Bitch Magnet
    awesome let us know how it goes
    ps if theres any polishing that you need to do b/c there is still outlines of the emblems go to a auto paint store pep boys might have it , any way 3m perfect it rubbimg coumpound it the very best and its not that expensive for a bottle , follow that with a wax by meguirs or mothers carnuba wax is probally the best even though I use some bitchen syntheic products I really like I think its # 19 and # 20
    ill post some pics here in a second of some products I use

16. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    seareef

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Vehicle:
    Bitch Magnet
    yep thats my taco , got my self into a little fender bender lol...

IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg

17. Mar 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Question:

What about removing an emblem and then putting it back on? What about the glue

18. Mar 20, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Here's a writeup I did when I blacked out my badges:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/36591-blacked-out-badges-writeup.html#post587447

The only change I would make is to put the new tape on the back of the badges before painting them. That way you don't have the chance of damaging the new paint, and the exposed edge of the tape gets painted black and is less noticable.

Good luck, this is a very easy mod.

19. Mar 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    09silvertaco

09silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport V6 6SPD
    wash vehicle, heat badge w/hair dryer, saw through adhesive w/20-25 lb test fishing line pulling away from vehicle, remove excess adhesive w/finger and supplement w/goo gone if needed, wash area again, apply meguiars cleaner wax to panel, buff off, and then a supplementary coat of meguiars nxt 2.0 wax and buff off. i've done almost all of my vehicles this way and yielded great results even on dark colors.

20. Aug 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    khardy

khardy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Humble, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma PreRunner
    Hiya Folks,

Been a few years since I asked about removing the badges and emblems. I did use a heat gun and plastic putty knife to get the emblems off. Afterwards I used Goo gone and wax to remove any remnant glue.

Cheers!

Keith

Products Discussed in

To Top