1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing Factory Running Boards, What Size Plugs and Where to Get Them?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Benny, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    Benny

Benny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB more mods by the month
    I am going to take my factory running boards off as soon as it is warm enough to deal with it. They serve no purpose, other than a good place to collect snow thrown by the snow plow. They are also nice for getting my pants dirty when I exit the truck. I see no advantage to them. What size wrench am I going to need? Is the frame threaded or is it a nut and bolt? Where can I get the plugs for the holes and what size do they need to be? PM me if you're interested in buying them- DC Long Bed.

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    They're bolts into threaded captive nuts in the body. The NFab nerf step bars use the same locations. 8mm bolts about 1" long.

You could just put the bolts back in. The plugs that come from the factory resemble the usual "christmas tree" fasteners but a little sturdier. I'm having some trouble finding them online...I"ve googled around a bit and I'm finding things similar, but not quite like these. I'll bet you could use plain "christmas tree" fasteners, maybe with a little silicone under the head, and it would work just fine.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Call your dealer, you should be able to get the plugs from them. Or, go to any Lowes/Home depot - they sell plastic plugs, just not sure they'd have exactly what you're looking for. Or like Benny said, put the original bolts back in.

The bolts/hole are 8mmx1.25 and the frame/rocker is threaded.

Products Discussed in

To Top