1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

removing sunroof-modified overhead console

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pokeng, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    pokeng

pokeng [OP] Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    I need to remove the overhead console in my '09 DC to do the map light on with dome light mod. From what I understand, the first step in removing the overhead console is to remove the screws in the sunglass holder compartment. I had a sunroof installed, and they modified the overhead console to make way for the sunroof, :cool: so I no longer have the sunglass holder (see pic).

[​IMG]

Anyone know how to remove this thing now? I see a lot of guys getting a similar sunroof and hoped somebody can tell me what to do without tearing up the headliner. Thanks.

2. Feb 17, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    Morning bump. Probably first of many.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    March bump. :help:

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Have you tried just following the rest of the steps?? Cause if they cut off your sunglass holder- those screws aren't there any more- so the clips are probably it.

Ask a dealer maybe??

5. Mar 10, 2010 at 4:07 AM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    I was thinking the same thing, so I played around with the console without pulling on the front (windshield) side to disengage the clips. If I pull slightly on the rear (modified) side, I can see the headliner move with it. I concluded that the sunroof installer must have reattached the rear side somehow in lieu of the bolts in the sunglass holder. I'm afraid that if I pull on the front to disengage the clips, whatever attachment at the rear will damage the headliner as I pull down at the front. From what I can tell, the installer followed the sunroof manufacturer's (Webasto) instructions verbatim, so I was hoping someone has already seen this. I'm going to be pissed if they glued it to the headliner.

6. Mar 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Have you tried calling the place that did it to ask them??

7. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    I haven't yet, may have to. Problem is they did the work over 6 months ago. I doubt they would remember the taco bought by the jackass who wanted to cut a hole in brand new truck. :p Lol. Just thought my chances might be better here. Good idea tho.

To Top