1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing your headliner and insulating/sound deadening

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GHOST SHIP, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Oct 6, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP [OP] hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Since you're in SoCal too, I know it's going to be hot this weekend so it might be a good time to test this. I have a laser thermometer that I use for random stuff around the house (usually to play with my cats), you might want to look into one from harbor freight or an over thermometer that you can hang somewhere to get an ambient temperature reading.

2. Oct 6, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    Jon147

Jon147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport-Vader
    Bilstein 5100 RHA/OME 887s/LR UCA's, 5100's in rear w/ Wheelers 3 leaf progressives, wrinkle black/silver TRD front skid plate, emblem removal, LED third brake light, remove/replace TRD Sport stickers with custom black TRD stickers, tail gate lock mod, BLHM & BLTM, VLED 430lm DTRLs, VLED LED rear turn signals, LED headlights from BadAssLED's, black mesh grill, AVEC LED light bar behind grill, AVEC LED light bar lower valance, 91' Cadillac Deville Horns, Hood Scoop LED from C4 Fabrication, Procomp 5001's Satin Black, FlowMaster Dual Exhaust American Thunder, Blue Sea Aux Fuse panel, AVEC 12" ultra slim light bar in bed, Undercover Flex bed cover
    Yeah, good call with the laser therm.; I was gonna utilize the Ultra gauge temp reading too.

Vegas Tacoma and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 6, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Absolutely.

The Frost King is legit. When I searched around the web, I read reports in corvette forums dating back (11) years ago, and they all reported that it does help reduce road noise. IMO, It will never work as good, as something like MLV to block noise... But it's cheap and works as intended as an insulation material. In fact, It would make much more sense to use a dedicated insulation material over something like Dynamat. The dynamat's and other sound deadner products, goal is to change resonance of body panels, something that the OP does not care about. It's also HEAVY, like 2/3 lb. per sq. foot! The Frost King and other products are very light weight. What makes it work is two things, 1.) It traps air, 2.) it reflects heat.

Without getting too technical, I'd recommend Ghost Ship put the Frost King / similar insulation product in, or install a sunroof. :D

4. Oct 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Thanks! @Crom I didn't want to jam up your thread with dumbass questions... I might try a couple different things, but I'm sure anything will be an improvement over stock (there's nothing there but the felt headliner!:eek:) And now you got me thinking about a roadster Tacoma! Maybe something with a removable top like the old Scout Int.? But that's a whole other story...

Crom[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Vegas Tacoma and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  6. Oct 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM
    addicus24

addicus24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock.Why mess with perfection?Except...
    Wish I could tell you I'm optimistic about the project significantly improving the heat situation better than 2 80 windows down and the AC blowing ice cubes. I don't recall the humidity being bad in California. That could be what's throwing me off here. I just don't know. Good luck.

7. Oct 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Perhaps people are misreading what the intentions are for this. I've never been a fan of AC and would rather have the windows down anyway. That being said, I love how icy it gets in the Tacoma with the AC blasting. I'm not trying to turn my cabin into a meat locker with sub-zero temperatures, I'm just trying to find some relief when returning to my truck after it's been sitting in the sun and I can literally feel the heat radiating through the headliner. I'm kind of tall at 6'1" and my head is only a couple inches from the roof of the truck. Yes, it cools down if I roll the window down or I blast the AC or both, but it's just one of those little things that could make it that much more comfortable for someone that spends a lot of time in there. I drive a lot for work and my commute alone sometimes is about 100-120 miles per day round trip (in LA traffic) and that's not counting any driving I have to do while I'm actually working. I've seen people go through a lot more trouble for a much smaller mod to their trucks that I have no use for. I'm not trying to come down on you, but you brought up a good point as have other before that "you could just turn on the AC", so I figured I'd address it. Without actually going through with it and taking careful measurements and documenting everything during the process, I couldn't tell you if it's going to work either, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has done it before. I'll probably still do it and report back what I find. Turns out someone else here also wants to do something like this so I'm not entirely crazy.
    Rant over.
    Again @addicus24 , that was in no way intended as me being a douche to you or anything.:cheers: I'm too old to get into measly forum wars. I just want to make sure that this thread stays on topic and the intended results for the project don't get misread.

8. Oct 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    addicus24

addicus24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock.Why mess with perfection?Except...
    I know, Ghost Ship. If it works as planned, you could sell kits for it. Maybe even include some sound proofing as a value-added proposition. With 100-120 miles a day in LA traffic, you really should have a dash cam. You could throw in some video footage for free. Some of it would have be priceless. Hell, if it works, and you need a partner, let me know. Gets pretty hot in South GA also.

9. Oct 6, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Haha! Just installed my dash cam this week- wired to the truck to record when it's on and stays on for 15 min after i park. It's pretty cool so far. I just need to add a rear facing one (already have a mount installed).

10. Oct 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    Jon147

Jon147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport-Vader
    Bilstein 5100 RHA/OME 887s/LR UCA's, 5100's in rear w/ Wheelers 3 leaf progressives, wrinkle black/silver TRD front skid plate, emblem removal, LED third brake light, remove/replace TRD Sport stickers with custom black TRD stickers, tail gate lock mod, BLHM & BLTM, VLED 430lm DTRLs, VLED LED rear turn signals, LED headlights from BadAssLED's, black mesh grill, AVEC LED light bar behind grill, AVEC LED light bar lower valance, 91' Cadillac Deville Horns, Hood Scoop LED from C4 Fabrication, Procomp 5001's Satin Black, FlowMaster Dual Exhaust American Thunder, Blue Sea Aux Fuse panel, AVEC 12" ultra slim light bar in bed, Undercover Flex bed cover
    Alright, so I finished the installation of the Frost King Insulation from Home Depot. Took me about an 1 1/2-2 hours taking my time. Once the liner is down its pretty easy-just measure, unroll and cut, stick it on. Yeah you might need to trim here or there but overall it wasn't hard. I forgot about the ambient temp test (my bad) but took surface temp tests with a laser thermometer. To keep it consistent, Ill take new readings tomorrow at the same time.I'd suggest starting at the front and working your way back to remove the liner.
    What your looking at once the liner is down:You will need 1 1/2 rolls of this stuff. This is what one roll got me.And after half of the second roll.This was the trickiest part. Patience is your friend here as well as going slow so as not to adhere the material to the roof before you are ready to stick it on. I cut a piece to fit, and slowly passed it through the thin opening from right to left.Make sure you apply firm pressure to ensure it sticks. At the end of the roll you'll lose about an inch since it's glued to the cardboard roll. I cut and removed the this strip and used the two pieces to finish off small areas.
    Be mindful of where your holes are for everything to snap or screw back into. The material can make it difficult if you forget to cut out the openings. For the visor clips that twist out, I ended up removing the material around the holes since it was hindering the clips from snapping it. After all that, just reinstall in reverse order. Hope this helps Ghost Ship. Let me know if you have other questions. Ill post up 2nd temp readings tomorrow.

deanosaurus, Biscuits, Norton and 3 others like this.
  11. Oct 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM
    Jon147

Jon147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport-Vader
    Thanks^ I will say that there is a funny smell from the material. I'm keeping the windows open the rest of the day to let it air out. Hopefully lol.

12. Oct 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Nice work. I'm curious to see the results. If you did not record the ambient temp, maybe you can find the hourly temp for your city online for that day and record the temp tomorrow. The results wont mean much if there was an ambient 15 degree temp swing that wasn't recorded.

13. Oct 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    Jon147

Jon147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport-Vader
    I'll probably hit up my wife's truck tomorrow and text both of ours.

14. Oct 9, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    OP.
    I have a black pearl & feel your pain.
    Tint,Windows cracked & especially a windshield screen work wonders.
    The screen will lower temps substantially,& save your dash long term.

15. Oct 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Awesome!

16. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    That look awesome man! I didn't know you'd be doing this right away. I was just putting it out there to see if anyone had "attempted" it. Glad to know the idea got some traction. After today's heat, I'll be doing it this week, if not this weekend. I was busy cleaning up some of my wiring today in the damn heat and even though I had the cab of my truck in the driveway and under a canopy, I still felt it.

Waiting patiently for tomorrow's readings. Did you have any issues with the side curtain airbags or associated wiring? I saw that you didn't drop the headliner the while way, just enough to work.

17. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Today was thermonuclear hot for October 9th. :D It set (3) new all time records inside the county of San Diego. It was 104 here. :)

18. Oct 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM
    Jon147

Jon147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport-Vader
    No issues with the side curtians. And I actually did drop the liner a bit more. Took off the head rests and took the wiring off the liner( black tape holds it in place). You only have to remove the A pillars. It'll feel smug tryin to pull it down, it'll give. Just take it slow.

19. Oct 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    Jon147

Jon147 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport-Vader
    Working on the ambient temp readings. The Santa Ana winds were blowing this morning which, surprisingly cooled things down for a little while. Also, spoke with my dad who deals with insulating materials within his scope of work. He recommended an insulator with aluminum on both sides and using an adhesive to stick it up. Reflectix insulation. It's basically bubble wrap with reflective material on both sides. He already has material that he's gonna let me use, so I'm looking to experiment with that next weekend. I'll do a better job with getting those temps up front too. Guinea pigging cane be fun lol.

20. Oct 10, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    I have a quick question, what insulation did you buy from Home Depot? I know it was made by frost kings, but the actual product? Thank you

To Top