1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repainting a camper shell?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by snapspinner, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Dec 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    snapspinner

snapspinner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OD DCSB Electric Lime
    Well finally got the color and the clear on the cap. Doesn't look that bad from 10 feet away. If you get too close, you can see some striping in the paint on the roof. I'm not too concerned about it since we are going to put a roof rack on this anyway. I'm going to put it all back together and live with it for a while to see how much it bothers me.

TacoZmtn, Emmohl, just_hurri and 2 others like this.
  2. Jan 18, 2023 at 10:05 AM
    snapspinner

snapspinner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OD DCSB Electric Lime
    I've had the shell back on the truck for a few weeks now so I thought I'd post up some pictures of the finished project and wrap this up.

In total it took me about 25 hours of work start to finish to get this done. I spent about $400. Most of the money was spent on paint. I bought color matched aerosols from Touchup direct. I bought their kit with primer, color, and clear together and I bought 4 sets the total cost for the paint was $280. The rest of the money was spent on sanding supplies, masking supplies and new seals for the windows.

The paint does show some orange peal and when you look at it in direct sunlight you can see the difference in reflectivity. You really have to look closely to see it though. I'm pretty sure I could have got a better finish if I'd have waited for a warmer day. I had to spray when it was about 55 outside.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I've received several positive comments so I'm going to call it a success.

Overview

The shell

Close up. It looks better with some rain on it.

Neal4x4, jon_elc, ztwatson and 5 others like this.
  3. Jan 19, 2023 at 9:12 PM
    TacoJay808

TacoJay808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    Nice work and great write up. As long as you’re happy with it, it’s money and time well spent!

snapspinner[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2023 at 9:18 PM
    Brex69

Brex69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock DC LB Off Road
    I’m about to do the same, black Raptor liner. I have to do this in the garage and was wondering if there was a lot of overspray?

5. Jan 20, 2023 at 4:35 AM
    PlataTaco

PlataTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Western WI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DCSB Ltd
    It's pretty thick and heavy stuff so very little of it ends up airborne, it mostly just goes straight where you're spraying. I did mine outside so I couldn't tell you exactly what to expect, but I wouldn't think you'll have much of a mess aside from the immediate area. Between coats you will need to clean the gun out by spraying some solvent/thinner through it so you'll probably want to step outside for that at least. The kit I used came with a siphon-feed gun so I just took the cup off and dipped the feed pipe down into a jar filled with mineral spirits and shot that through until it sprayed clear. I had to take the nozzle apart a couple times to clean that too, it seemed to get gunked up pretty quickly with this stuff.

Neal4x4 and Brex69[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jul 2, 2023 at 9:52 AM
    TacoZmtn

TacoZmtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road LB
    OTT-6112’s~5160’s rxt's~ShmellFab Sliders
    Looks great, nice color match on that green. I just painted a barcelona red metallic leer 180 with rustoleum bedcoating(rattle can) in my driveway... it matches the skid plate and rock sliders now. I plan to keep it heavily waxed for paint longevity haha. For the over spray on the driveway, I sprayed down the driveway a few times with water, which a paint shop recommended and it worked great and reduced the dust and hair floating around.

70890201672__7445E2CB-6475-4E5D-A48A-623AD72F5131.jpg
    70906811630__246C4C4C-502C-4632-94CA-8C792EF336C2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top