1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace Fan Blade - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jaykappy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    92 Canadian Pickup SR5 3.0L V6 4x4 Man trans
    I am quite embarassed to write this but we all make mistakes....I changed my Alternator and cracked the fan blade...I knew this might cause a problem but drove it anyway...
    Yesterday my Fan blade completly blew apart in the parking lot while leaving work. And blew two holes in my radiator. (A brand new radiator to boot)

What do I need to do to replace the fan blades. Can I replace them with the Fan Clutch unit in the truck, or do I need to remove that? It looked like there were allen wrentch nuts holding the fan on...Note the radiator will be out so I will have room in there.

Any ideas on where to buy one?

Replace the Fan and radiator and I should be good to go....

I just cant get rid of this is truck I love it.....

THANKS

2. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Well that really sucks. But....kinda funny too. Hope you get it worked out, I don't think it will be too tough.

3. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Yea sucks and funny....just aggrevated that I know there was going to be a problem and I let it happen anyway...

Just trying to figure out if I can replace the fan with the fan clutch still in the truck....

4. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You should be able to. It would help if we knew what motor this is on also. Fill out your profile.

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha....Just updated profile

The truck was bought in British Columbia Canada
    1992 Toyota Pickup....THinks thats all they were called back then
    Might be designated as SR5
    6 cylinder 3.0L
    4x4

I think its held on by a bunch of allen screws....

Thanks all

6. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    If you just want to replace the fan, it should only be held on by 4 nuts (see the black parts)

[​IMG]

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Right now I think thats all thats wrong...
    After if Broke the truck still ran....I pulled over and saw the anti freeze all over noticing that the radiator was punctured a few places from the broken fan.

So I am planning on replacing the fan and radiator....radiator no sweat....I just never replaced the fan and was wondering if I had to remove the Clutch fan thing or simply unbolt and bolt a new fan....
    From what you are telling me is that I can simply replace the fan with a few bolts and some elbow greese....AND I dont have to remove the fan clutch unit....

I guess thats some good news......

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    It only takes four nuts to remove the clutch also. The original allen bolts you were referring to hold the clutch together. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THAT A PART. It will ruin it by releasing all of the silicone oil. It should only take a few minutes either way to remove the clutch then the fan from the clutch. If you cannot get the fan off with the clutch still attached to the motor (water pump) you may have to take the clutch out then. It's just a difference of 4 nuts versus 8 nuts.

IMG_0073-11_662959d1904624905f8d04408dcb6d5763f5f086.jpg

9. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys....
    I will try and get the fan off first, if not take the fan clutch off and try again...
    doing this by wrentch might pose a challenge depending on how tight the fan bolts are on....not much there I can see to hold the fan clutch from spining...

THanks again...

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Jay just replace the fan blade, the bolts are not that tight. If you remove the clutch and fan you might have problems with the belts, unless you loosen them up too.
    good luck..

11. Jan 31, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys.....I pulled out the remains of the fan and pulled the radiator...both will be easy installations...so no worries there.

WHen the fan blew up the truck was still running and ran till I shut it off. I went to start it and all the power worked but it seem like it was not sending power to the starter. IE not turning over...

Although I did notice some wires that were suspect although I have no idea what they are. I am attaching an Image.

In the image IMAGINE YOURSELF standing inbetween the Fan and the RAdiator looing towards the passenger side of the truck

A. This wire harness attaches to the black cyclinder thing at the base of the windshiled squirt resivour. What is this and could it stop the truck from starting?

B. This is a pair of wires that does not seem to have a home...althogh missleadign I believe they are both green wires...what are these for, where do they go and could they stop the truck from starting?

Any help woudl be apprecaited...I do not look foward to taking this in to have someone track down this issue....
    Its seems obvious to me that the shrapnel from the fan hit soemthing...this is really all I could find....one was not seated properly (A) and (B) was just hanging there....

Hope someone can help

CLICK IMAGE TO MAKE LARGER

ToyotaImage.jpg

12. Jan 31, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    A. Is the windsheild washer pump motor. Just plug it back in.

B. Looks pretty important. It looks like the plug was damaged. Check around the distributor and the ignition coil. It was to hook somewhere.

13. Jan 31, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Jay, you also might want to put that battery on a charger while you repair the rad and fan. The cold weather cold be killing the battery. It might just be weak.

14. Jan 31, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Thanks...I cant argue with the Cold weather killing the battery...
    The battery is brand new...2 days old when this happened...fan blew the truck still ran untill I shut it off...then the truck would not start...so I dont think it was a result of a dead battery...but one of those wires...I could car less abotu the windshidl washer motor/pump etc...I need to truck to move....I will look aroudn some more for a connection to that plug....

Yes it was dingged a bit (the plug that is), but I think still usable...a little of the plastic was chipped off.... if the clip wont hold it I assume that I can buy another and cut the wires, solder them? Or would I need to go and find another whoel cable with the connection? I guess I can try adn trace back to where the cable is coming from....it looks like it loops up behind the battery...

As for plugging the other wire in (B) ....Thats if I can find out where the dam thing goes...I looked for a few minutes and could not find anythin within its reach...the cable is only a 5-6 inches long so the number of places it can clip into is quite limited...will have to look closer...

Really appreciate your help here.....will look for a connection when I get home tonight...

15. Feb 7, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    jaykappy

jaykappy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    For some reason the truck started to turn over????? I have no idea how...I did nothing...the only thing I did was connect the battery charger to the battery (which was fully charged)...
    Although noticed one of the Power steering hoses was split from the fan breaking up...so off to the parts store

BUT those wires I discribed a few entries ago are still not plugged in....and cant find any location to plug into...

Anyone have any thoughts or have something close to a 92 Pickup to maybe check if they can see where its plugging in to? The wire I am talking about is in the image a few entries before this...LABELED "B"

Thanks for all your help....

16. Feb 7, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I don't know Jay. There aren't too many 3.0's on this board. I can't find any pictures either, at least with substance.

Products Discussed in

To Top