1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replaced Starter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by w/chunter, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    w/chunter

w/chunter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrogate, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    The clicking that started in my truck (see my previous thread) last week was the starter going bad. My son helped me take it off yesterday evening, and man what a job. I took it down to a starter/alternator shop this morning and they replaced the brushes and contacts for $35. I came home and had the starter put back in less than an hour. Sure was easier going in than coming out. Turn the key and she starts and purrs like a kitten. Should have taken pics, but I forgot. I'm attaching a link that I found helpful. I think I'm getting too old for this stuff, but thankful that I'm still able to do what needs to be done. Getting up/down, in/out of my wheelchair gave my arms and shoulder a good work out.:)

3.4 V6 Starter Replacement

The truck starts great, but there is a whirring noise after it starts cranking. The noise wasn't there prior to removing the starter, so it looks like I may have to remove it. Dont know what the problem may be now. I got underneath while my wife cranked the engine and the whirling noise is from the starter and goes away when the engine starts. I wonder if it has anything to do with the new brushes he installed???

2. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Awesome!

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Do you think if you don't have headers stock exhaust it will be necessary to loosen up the exhaust in order to remove the starter, also might be a good idea to disconect the battery.

Nice write up.

4. Jun 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    w/chunter

w/chunter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrogate, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    Disconnecting the battery negative terminal is a must. I have stock exhaust and there room, albeit barely, to remove the starter.

To Top